Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Lozhaze

How do you manage your expectations?

Hi there

I've been at it for two years now, lessons for a year and now going it alone for a while at least.

Although when i look back i've certainly made a lot of progress since the very beginning i still don't sound anything like i'd like to very often. I realise through other pursuits that as you improve expectations change and this is all part of the challenge. I also know that 2 years isn't so long at guitar and i'm still in short pants as a guitarist.

How do you handle not being where you'd like to be? Whether it's sounding like such and such guitarist or the stuff you write not sounding how you'd like?

I think the perfection of highly produced recorded music makes my idea of how i'd like to sound a bit unrealistic maybe?
Lozhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
bondmorkret

Simple, just enjoy what you do and take satisfaction from playing itself. If you can do that, progress will take care of itself
Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Well, for me, the fact that I'm not as good as I'd like to be drives me forward. The way I see it, if I gave the me from five years ago the video of me playing a guitar solo that I give to every band I join, I would've though I'd became some kind of guitar demigod, however, now I'm at the level where I'm playing very advanced stuff, I still want to do more, push the boundaries and become a remarkable guitarist that can one day stand up against the guitarists I admire.

As for the stuff I write not being what I want, I don't have that problem nowadays, I believe that that's because I can step outside of my connection with the piece and objectively say whether it's good, analysing chord progressions, melodic shapes and structures, and once you start studying what you like to hear, you can manufacture songs that you like to hear. The perfection of highly produced music does make expectations a bit unrealistic, however, again, it made me strive for better. Long ago, I fell in love with John Petrucci's guitar tone, and along the way, I loved many other guitar tones, and now that I've got the gear to get a great tone, the frustration I used to feel listening to Petrucci's tone, and then my own was worth it, because now I feel that I have a professional tone, it's a huge weight off my shoulders. With my ambition, the guitarist I want to be, I'll never truly have the weight of technique off of my shoulders, and yes, there are frustrating times, sat there with some Michael Angelo Batio sheet music and a metronome, but knowing that with this hard work, I could one day be able to play these difficult pieces, I feel that it's worth it.

I think as a guitarist, one finds a direction, a style or a way you'd really love to play and you pursue it. For others, it may be becoming a great Jazz guitarist and building up your lick library, for some it might be relaxing and playing some great songs after a hard day at work, for me, I can't lie, it's turned out to be a BPM chase, and that's what keeps me going. Just keep in mind what you have achieved, and what you can achieve with work, and the frustration will start to go away.

Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozhaze
I think the perfection of highly produced recorded music makes my idea of how i'd like to sound a bit unrealistic maybe?

It certainly could do, until you've actually recorded something in a studio with a real producer you never quite get your head around how much it takes to do it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozhaze
How do you handle not being where you'd like to be? Whether it's sounding like such and such guitarist or the stuff you write not sounding how you'd like?

Two things:

1 - Realising that I never will be and more than that, no one ever is.

2 - Realising that the journey, and not the destination, is the most important aspect of what we do. Since the destination doesn't exist you really have to learn to relish the journey to really get anything out of playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
wafflesyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr

2 - Realising that the journey, and not the destination, is the most important aspect of what we do. Since the destination doesn't exist you really have to learn to relish the journey to really get anything out of playing.

Ah this is such good advice. /thread
wafflesyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
pia98jf

I have to agree with the previous posts that it's the journey that is the most important thing. I've never been completely satisfied with my guitar playing because as you progress and get better you get new goals and aims which are higher than your original ones.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
bondmorkret

Some wise words here. The journey is always the fun part!

Rate This Thread: