Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
MattyPS

Fretting hand position in the higher part of the neck

Hi there,

I am learning a little solo in which there are two parts that are difficult for me. The notes are easy but it is played quite fast. I know that I have to take it really slow, that is not my wonder.

However, I almost never play higher than the 15th fret and I don't really know how to place my fretting hand over there. Do you put your thumb over the neck or what ?

Here are the two little parts I'm talking about :

Code:
|-21-17----------17-21-17----------17-| |-------19----19----------19----19----| |----------18----------------18-------| |-------------------------------------| |-------------------------------------| |-------------------------------------| |---------------------------------| |--------------------------17-19--| |-----------------16-18-19--------| |-16-----16-18-19-----------------| |---------------------------------| |---------------------------------|

Thanks
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
tappooh

I usually have my thumb over the neck when playing the higher frets, probably its not the best technique but it works and feels comfortable. The problem is that you cant do very big stretches although 21-17 should be doable if you angle your wrist/hand having the index finger at a 40-50 degree angle poining towards the neck pick up.

My Buckethead covers (I don't dress up like him)
tappooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappooh
...angle your wrist/hand having the index finger at a 40-50 degree angle poining towards the neck pick up.

Normally I would disagree with this technique, but if the body of your guitar is getting in the way of your usual hand position, then this is a way around it.

It's not ideal, however...

Rate This Thread: