Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Cleverusername2

How to write "trippy" lyrics?

I want to be able to write lyrics that have a message, but make people really have to analyze the lyrics to get the message of the song. Sorry i am really bad at wording questions xD

But i want to be able to write like chris cornell or anthony kiedis, you know? Black hole sun kind of lyrics.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Learn to use poetic devices well. Symbolism, metaphor, allegory, and most of all, good imagery (if you need those things explained, Wikipedia is your friend). You need something good to write about, but good lyrics are about how they portray that thing, bring it to you, and make you a part of it. Painting the Mona Lisa versus drawing stick figures is what I called it in your other thread.
I've heard doing a metric fuckton of weed helps. (srs)
And most of all, practice practice practice. These types of songs are extremely hard to write without coming off pretentious, or using "fancy" wording to cover up how shallow they are. But you can do it if you really want to. It all comes down to how bad you want it.
Oh, and since apparently you listen to a lot of hardcore, you might want to start leaning away from that. Hardcore lyrics tend to be a lot more literal than what you want.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 06-14-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Cleverusername2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Learn to use poetic devices well. Symbolism, metaphor, allegory, and most of all, good imagery (if you need those things explained, Wikipedia is your friend). You need something good to write about, but good lyrics are about how they portray that thing, bring it to you, and make you a part of it. Painting the Mona Lisa versus drawing stick figures is what I called it in your other thread.
I've heard doing a metric fuckton of weed helps. (srs)
And most of all, practice practice practice. These types of songs are extremely hard to write without coming off pretentious, or using "fancy" wording to cover up how shallow they are. But you can do it if you really want to. It all comes down to how bad you want it.
Oh, and since apparently you listen to a lot of hardcore, you might want to start leaning away from that. Hardcore lyrics tend to be a lot more literal than what you want.

I see what you mean.

Lol i only listen to hardcore, don't play it.

But thanks mate, you've been a huge help to me on this forum
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
kthxbi
UG Fanatic

what about tripping?
for one (albeit minor) point it seems a little weird to want your music to sound super psychedelic if you have no interest or experience in psychedelics... also, taking psychedelic drugs does completely join dots in your head which you probably wouldn't have otherwise.

sure, a lot of it will be 'banana tree.... banana tree.... banana tree' and sh*t like that but i can't imagine it being hugely easy to put across a feeling without it coming across as forced or false if you have no idea what the feeling itself is actually like.

EDIT: all that said, the body of your question doesn't seem to really match up to the header of it. in terms of being less direct about your lyrics, an above poster was pretty good at explaining that. also i'd say write more about the feeling than the fact itself - you don't have to say ''i wish you hadn't left me'' to put across the idea that, well, you wish someone hadn't left you. write it as you feel it yourself rather than to illustrate the point directly to someone else --- this doesn't need to be you being completely cryptic, it's just a matter of letting people fill in the gaps.

FREE SKATERSKAGG1 AND CORYKLOK

Last edited by kthxbi : 07-02-2013 at 07:36 AM.
kthxbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: