Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
N1K156
Having difficulties...

Economy of Motion

I've been working on Fade to Black for a while, and while I have the intro solo just about down and the main riffs pretty good, I'm running into problems when trying to build up the end solo. The majority of it I could do at around 60bpm, but it starts getting sloppy as soon as I try and speed it up. How should I go about improving the economy of motion?
N1K156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Freepower's Correct Practice and Finger Independence lessons should have what you want:

Unfortunately it's pretty much just a question of practicing it slowly and correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Syndromed
French guy

It's a good thing you're thinking to "economy of motions" ... but I wouldn't be worried with economy of motions with "Fade To Black".

Just practice, correctly and slowly and you'll get it.

Good luck
Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Zaphod and syndromed got it.

Unless your flinging your fingers all over the place, it's really just a matter of correct practice. Making sure that you are playing relaxed, accurate and cleanly.

If your having problems finding the ideal tempo to practice at to improve, i generally always play at the highest speed where i can take deep breaths (in and out) without making any mistakes. As you get better you will be able to do this at higher tempos, which is essential. You don't want to be one of those guys that stop breathing when you start playing fast, cause then you will not be able to do it for long, nor well for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."

Last edited by Sickz : 06-15-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
N1K156
Having difficulties...

Alright, I'll try and get a video of my left hand technique.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
N1K156
Having difficulties...

Crud...audio didn't record. I'll have to fix it then do another vid...
Old 06-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Syndromed
French guy

Listen ... it's just Fade to Black, practice slowly, tensionless and perfectly and you'll get it.

I don't think you need to record a video.

Practice, don't give up and good luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
N1K156
Having difficulties...

I think I might have tension in my fingers...Whenever I bend my fingers in, I feel resistance in my knuckles, almost like they're cracking. It's pretty hard to explain.

Last edited by N1K156 : 06-18-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Syndromed
French guy

Do you bend with your thumb over the neck or behind the neck ?

Last edited by Syndromed : 06-18-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Syndromed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
N1K156
Having difficulties...

I bend w/ my thumb over the neck. I've tried with it behind the neck, but it feels uncomfortable.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Syndromed
French guy

Try to explain better your problem with your knuckles, because I don't really understand how when you're bending a note, your knuckles are "cracking". Please
Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
N1K156
Having difficulties...

I wasn't talking about string bends, I was talking about when i roll my fingers in, like making a bear claw, it feels like they're cracking. However I do string bends with my thumb over the neck.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Syndromed
French guy

When you roll your fingers in ... so maybe you push too much on the neck.
Remember, tensionless ... it's very important, and not just in your right hand ... just everywhere. Watch the video Zaphod linked. It could be useful. (no ... in fact, you have to watch these videos.)

If you feel something hurts you, you're doing something wrong. Slow down, find the problem and then fix it.

I guess you're practicing the ending solo of Fade to Black right ? Where are you struggling ?

ps : sorry for the wrong understanding of "bending", I'm french ... I didn't understand your phrase correctly.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
N1K156
Having difficulties...

Ending solo around 5:35 into the song. In general, I could probably improve single-string legato with practice, but I notice that switching strings and bends are more difficult to perform at a high speed.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
N1K156
Having difficulties...

Just watched the videos again. Would I start by playing the part very very slowly so that I could play a note, relax, play the next note, relax, etc... and then speed it up as it gets more comfortable and make sure only one finger is moving at a time? Unfortunately, my instructor is out of town so I won't have a lesson this week. I plan on discussing this with him asap.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1K156
Just watched the videos again. Would I start by playing the part very very slowly so that I could play a note, relax, play the next note, relax, etc... and then speed it up as it gets more comfortable and make sure only one finger is moving at a time? Unfortunately, my instructor is out of town so I won't have a lesson this week. I plan on discussing this with him asap.

I have to be honest, I don't think this kind of practice is really suited to actually learning songs/increasing repertoire. This kind of practice, at least for me, is purely focused on getting better technique; it doesn't really matter what you play as long as you're doing it really well. Then you can learn songs in the normal kind of way, starting slow and all that jazz.

For me at least, this kind of practice is only suited to working as slowly as you need to in order to absolutely control what you do. From there it filters through in to the rest of what you do but it doesn't really... work when you speed up. You can't do this kind of thing if you're speeding up, you just have to learn and hope your technique is good enough and if it isn't then you slow down again.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
N1K156
Having difficulties...

So it's bad technique keeping me from playing this solo, and its the same with the other three songs I abandoned due to solos? If not, then what am I supposed to do?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #18
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1K156
So it's bad technique keeping me from playing this solo, and its the same with the other three songs I abandoned due to solos? If not, then what am I supposed to do?

Without actually seeing you I can only assume that is indeed the case.

Quote:

Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #19
Syndromed
French guy

I don't say you don't have to practice with thinking "economy of motions", but for this song you don't really have to pay too much attention to "economy of motions".

You have to, of course but ... don't over think to it. Just practice, correctly, tensionless and slowly with good technique and you'll get it.

Things like "economy of motions" etc ... are an obligation if you want to be able to play hard songs like technical difficulties, or any songs which has some hard/fast parts.

Look at my cover of this Fade to Black ending solo, it's not perfect but I think it's approximately "correct". My motions are not economic at all ... but I can do it though.

Good luck
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
steven seagull
not really a seagull

you ALWAYS have to pay attention to economy of motion if you want it to improve.

It's not something that only applies to faster songs, it's a fundamental part of good technique - if you can't maintain good control at slower speeds you've got no hope of having when you're trying to play quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: