Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
dsomma93

Ringing notes while playing?

I've been playing guitar for about 5 years. I just noticed how sloppy I am.

For example, when I solo with a clean tone, I notice when I'm on a string(let's say the g string) and do an 8-6-4 pulloff, the b string rings out sometimes. I'm not sure if it's my left hand-- i'm pulling off, so to pull off vertically while still having it be a strong pulloff seems impossible. I can't really mute the string with my right hand because that would change the way i'm palm muting or how my hand is resting

What would be the best way to clean up my playing?

It's not really noticeable, but sometimes you can hear the notes. When I listen to people playing the same things online, I can't hear it. i'm not sure if it's a problem.

youtube(DOT)com/watch?v=3cWa6C0OBqs
Fluffy by chon playthrough.

This guy sounds clean. I always have some ringing from other string when I play-- nothing major, but if you try hard you can definitely hear it.

I feel like it's physically impossible to not touch the other strings at all-- if i just grace it, I can hear something.

My fingers aren't huge. i'm 5'9 and my hands/fingers are proportional.
youtube(DOT)com/watch?v=myAtU75-fD0

if i put my finger on a string and literally take it vertically off to the guitar (not playing anything), the string sticks to my finger.
I need to mute this-- it's not a matter of preventing the noise, but muting i'm assuming.
if i move from the b string to a 5-7-8 run on the high e string, should my left pointer finger be gently touching the b string? i can't get rid of this excess noise, but i can mute it

like the 8-6-4-6-8-6-4-6-8-6-4-6-8 pull off/hammer on lick if you just keep doing that on the D string, then the G string has a little noise. Doesn't really ring but you can hear it's being hit by something. i think it's my left pointer finger. how can i mute that? palm doesn't work for this type of thing since the string ringing is under my fingers and not over

Last edited by dsomma93 : 06-15-2013 at 04:57 PM.
dsomma93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
breakstuff
UG Board King

Kudos to wanting to clean up your playing.

Now, you can always mute the other strings using your palm by placing your picking hand at the bridge when you are picking and making a coscious effort to mute the strings. It will feel awkward at first but practice it for a while and see if you can nail it. Also focus on slightly curving your hand upwards so that when you pull off, your fingers are more perpendicular to the fretboard and as a result it will be more difficult for your fingers to contact the other strings. Developing strength will also improve your finger control and reduce the noise you are gearing from your playing as well.

Good Luck

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
breakstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
dsomma93

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakstuff
Kudos to wanting to clean up your playing.

Now, you can always mute the other strings using your palm by placing your picking hand at the bridge when you are picking and making a coscious effort to mute the strings. It will feel awkward at first but practice it for a while and see if you can nail it. Also focus on slightly curving your hand upwards so that when you pull off, your fingers are more perpendicular to the fretboard and as a result it will be more difficult for your fingers to contact the other strings. Developing strength will also improve your finger control and reduce the noise you are gearing from your playing as well.

Good Luck

thanks, that's actually really helpful
my problem is that if i curve my (left) hand upward to avoid hitting other strings, it's not slightly..... it's a massive uncomfortable curve. going from a more flat hand to that isn't a good habit.

Let's say I do a 6-8-6-8-6-8-6-8-6-8-6-8 hammer on/pull off on the d string. unless i go at a ridiculously slow speed, i still hit the string.

maybe it's my pulloffs?
you are supposed to pull off right? as opposed to just raise your finger, you are supposed to physically pull off right?
i feel like it would be physically impossible to pull off without slightly grazing the other string but other people get a clean sound so it must be possible

i'm still not completely sure if it's better to prevent or mute. i feel like prevention is best

thank you for the input though. i'll keep trying and try to work with what you suggested

i'm also thinking it might be the way i hold my pick. sorry about the camera.

just a scale run for picking analysis

youtube(DOT)com/watch?v=v95PsJZMKVI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by dsomma93 : 06-16-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
StuartBahn

The fact that you have spotted this about your playing is great. Being aware of one's shortcomings (which we all have) is half the problem solved. Just don't ignore it now!
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Wolfie60

The picking is very jerky, I would slow down a huge amount and play every note slowly and clean and make sure every note rings out

Build up speed and stop and go back to slow if you hear duff notes

You appear to be not happy with how you are holding the pick, it does look a bit strange
Wolfie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
dsomma93

i was hammering/pulling off-- no picking at all for that!

but the way i hold the pick might also affect me. I noticed my ascending runs are much faster than my descending licks. i'm going to slow down these too and use a metronome, but does anyone have any good links to how to hold the pick? i might have to change it unfortunately

the angle i'm picking at might also affect the way i'm playing too

youtube(DOT)com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4 skip to about 1:36 this is how i hold the pick

Last edited by dsomma93 : 06-23-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
breakstuff
UG Board King

Everyone is different; I used to hold the pick with three fingers which was absolutely awesome for rhythm playing, but it really slowed me down when playing lead. You have to experiment until you find a way that works for your hand and style. I went back and forth and maybe tried four different ways until I decided on one.

When pulling off, yes you definitely have to pull - off, just lifting your finger will give you an inconsistent and faded tone to your playing. I say focus on muting the strings with your picking hand, then work on how to angle your hand and pull your fingers off whilst minimizing contact with the surrounding strings. Step by step.

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
breakstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakstuff
Everyone is different; I used to hold the pick with three fingers which was absolutely awesome for rhythm playing, but it really slowed me down when playing lead. You have to experiment until you find a way that works for your hand and style. I went back and forth and maybe tried four different ways until I decided on one.

When pulling off, yes you definitely have to pull - off, just lifting your finger will give you an inconsistent and faded tone to your playing. I say focus on muting the strings with your picking hand, then work on how to angle your hand and pull your fingers off whilst minimizing contact with the surrounding strings. Step by step.

You really don't have to "figure out" how to do these things at all, they are very much a known quantity and frankly 99.99999% of people are physically similar enough that there is very definitely an optimal way of going about it.

TS: watch this for your noise issues:

And your picking is alright but really needs to relax on descending runs; there's very definite tension and arm movement involved when you're descending, work on making it much more fluent like your ascending lines. I can't quite tell, however: are you economy picking while descending as well? If not that's definitely something to think about: for now I think you should choose one and stick with it for everything you do. Become more competent in one particular way of going about things and then once that's at least reasonably good try and work on the other to give yourself more tonal options.

Also it might be worth working on getting those string transitions really smooth when ascending, they don't look entirely fluid. When you're economy picking you only really get the full benefit of the technique if you make your string transitions one stroke across both strings. It's the same principle as sweep picking but on a smaller scale; it shouldn't be a series of individual downstrokes but one whole motion across all the strings included/needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
dsomma93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You really don't have to "figure out" how to do these things at all, they are very much a known quantity and frankly 99.99999% of people are physically similar enough that there is very definitely an optimal way of going about it.

TS: watch this for your noise issues:

And your picking is alright but really needs to relax on descending runs; there's very definite tension and arm movement involved when you're descending, work on making it much more fluent like your ascending lines. I can't quite tell, however: are you economy picking while descending as well? If not that's definitely something to think about: for now I think you should choose one and stick with it for everything you do. Become more competent in one particular way of going about things and then once that's at least reasonably good try and work on the other to give yourself more tonal options.

Also it might be worth working on getting those string transitions really smooth when ascending, they don't look entirely fluid. When you're economy picking you only really get the full benefit of the technique if you make your string transitions one stroke across both strings. It's the same principle as sweep picking but on a smaller scale; it shouldn't be a series of individual downstrokes but one whole motion across all the strings included/needed.

THANK YOU
That was extremely helpful. I'm working on all of this now and with enough practice I'll be where I should be

I do notice when I am ascending for example a 5-7-8 on the b string my pinky also hits the 8th fret of the high e-- not enough where it's fretted but on a clean setting you can hear it. i'm assuming i can fix that just by moving my wrist out a little more so my fingers are more vertical to the neck? it's really uncomfortable which is why i'm asking fingers get tired from that i feel like i'm fretting much harder and my wrist is uncomforatble. if it's proper position i'll switch obviously though

when i do a 5-7-8 on b then 5-7-8 on e and repeat my pinky tends to pull off the g string if my fingers are more vertical. not as vertical and i hit the 8th fret of the e string though
i'll probably have to post another video

thanks again. very helpful i'm excited to fix all of this and improve

I wasn't economy picking on the descending but ascending i am. should it be mostly wrist or a little wrist and i move my hand down(using arm which moves down too) like i'm sweeping?

and for the ascending when i get near the a and e string my right hand gets tense. maybe different position/move my arm higher?

Last edited by dsomma93 : 07-03-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Rate This Thread: