Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
americanzero120

Guitar player looking for a good drum machine/midi for recording/practice

Hey everybody, I'm a guitar player interested in finding a decent drum machine or midi controller to use for recording and/or practicing. Recently I've been looking around at some of the different options out there, but was hoping for some advice and feedback about what would be best for me. I'm not looking for anything too fancy to start with. Just something so I can lay down some basic tracks to jam with and hopefully to do some recording. I have a Digidesign M Box 2 Mini and Pro Tools 8 LE. I do some basic recording, but my version of Pro Tools didn't come with a drum machine plug in. I've been using some backing tracks I've found online, but I need something customizable. If anybody can offer some suggestions I'd really appreciate it.
americanzero120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
DragTheWaters11
☺♣♠&#96

Reaper has a built in drum machine. It's really simple, but you can create simple drum and hi-hat beats at the BPM you want.

So does FL Studio 11.

Both are basically free, but only for a certain time. Relatively cheap when you look to purchase, though, and both are compatible with any drum machine kit (Steven Slate, EZDrummer for example).

Drum Machine Kits are rather expensive, though. So unless you need a really great drum sound, their sounds will suffice.

Oh, and of course Guitar Pro has a better built in drum machine (not so much a drum machine but a customizable drum track with playback capabilities) where you can actually fully write out your song in tablature and play them back. You can even play the songs slower and repeat certain sections. Just a suggestion if you don't have it; but I'm sure you do. I'll link below just in case.

If you do have Guitar Pro, I guess I shouldn't neglect to mention that you can export guitar pro drum tracks to these programs and play them back using a drum machine run through Reaper or FL Studio 11. This actually creates a very good drum machine if you look to fully record songs and make the drums sound real. It would take me forever to explain how for the various combinations, but there's plenty of youtube tutorials on whichever you choose.

Reaper:
http://www.reaper.fm/
$225: full commercial license.
$60: discounted license (personal use).
Free: 30 day trial.

FL Studio 11:
http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html
FL Studio Signature Bundle -$299 (Full Commercial Use)
FL Studio Producer Edition -$199 (Limited Commercial)
FL Studio Fruity Edition - $99 (Full Personal Use)
FL Studio Demo - Free (Can't save projects)

Guitar Pro:
http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php
Guitar Pro 6 - $60

NOTE: Guitar Pro 5 is MUCH better for drum writing; so if you can get your hands on that instead - go for it.
Fate is your deciding God

Last edited by DragTheWaters11 : 06-18-2013 at 09:54 PM.
DragTheWaters11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World

Alesis SR-16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
KerNeL_KLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
DragTheWaters11
☺♣♠&#96

@OP

http://www.alesis.com/sr16

Here's a link to what Kernel is talking about. Completely blanked about it in my previous post.
Fate is your deciding God
DragTheWaters11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
americanzero120

Thanks I'm gonna try out those out and see what I can do. Is there a newer drum machine than the SR-16? I can only find used ones. Not that I'm against used gear, but I'd like to see if there are any newer options out there.
americanzero120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: