Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
TNA

Expectations of drummer bringing their kit to practices

To start off with I am a drummer. I was wondering your opinions on what you think is acceptable as far as practice location and the drummer hauling their kit around. I think most bands try to practice at the drummers place because obviously the drummer has the most stuff to set up. Or the drummer leaves a kit at the practice space, wherever that may be.

I ask this because I am going to audition for a band and asked if they had a kit at their practice location. They said no. So I responded that I'd have to figure something out then if I ended up joining the band. This sparked a bit of an argument between us about whether or not I should be responsible for bringing my kit to practice every time. So what do you guys think is reasonable for the drummer? Should he be bringing his kit every time? Would you try and make arrangement so that he would not have to pack up his kit every time?

I told him my side of the argument was that the time to go to my studio where my drums are, pack them, unpack them at practice, pack them up after practice, go back to my studio and set them back up there would be over an hour of extra time, not including driving and the actual practice time.
TNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
Phil Starr

Probably not wise to argue about this before the audition.

TBH it is only a matter of practicality, we have two practice spaces, the drummers studio and a practice room with a kit. Living in a rural area means our drive to practice is always quite long for someone so we pretty much alternate. I just try to keep everyone happy. Other people may not be so lucky so you just have to compromise. If they help carry the kit and have to wait around whilst you set up they'll soon get the problem. If they spend hours setting up fx pedals and tuning guitars and then tut whilst you are still sweating then you have a pretty good idea of how cooperative they are.

Hope it works out.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

You can't really be a drummer without drums can you.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Well, you can buy another cheap set. That is probably the best thing you can make. Our ex drummer used to just keep his kit at the practice space, but that meant he only played them when we had practice, so that wasnt very good. So he bought another one after a while. And when we broke up, i bought a cheap used kit so that whatever drummer i get to play with doesnt have to carry all of his equipment with him.

So anyway, buy a cheap kit, just the drums, so you will only have to transport the cymbals. Those dont really take that much time to set up.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

I understand where you're coming from but you should bring your kit to the audition. Ideally the drummer should have the biggest and best practice spot (complete with PA), but in situations where they don't it's perfectly normal for the drummer to haul his kit. Sure it takes a long time to set up and break down, but guitarists and bassists have to do that same job as well.

Really, the more you play drums the less of a big deal you'll make about breaking down and setting up your drums. Tell them about your studio and convince them to come to you next time if the audition works out. Personally I'm in a band where the drummer brings his kit to practices because the guitarist has a big shop and has the PA and guitar/bass rigs setup.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

I think it's unreasonable to make the drummer haul the drumkit for every rehearsal, but i never had that issue before.

In the beginning, our drummer always left his drumkit at the studio where we rehearse (even if that meant that he couldn't play/practice at home).
As soon as we earned some money with gigs, we bought a cheap drumkit to have at the studio (which is used only a couple of hours per week, so it didn't have to be high-end) so he could take his drumkit home.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Chrisseh
Am male.

In my old band we had a drummer who used an electric kit for practise, they're reasonably cheap and very portable compared to a full drum kit.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
kilbie
Super Noob

My band's drummer brings his own drum kit to rehearsal. Most rehearsal rooms do not have a drum kit. Often a drum kit can be hired but that costs extra. Good drummers usually prefer to use their own drum kit.

I don't really think the extra hour it takes to take apart, set up, take apart then set up a drum kit is all that unreasonable. It will only really be half an hour because in the 15min you take at the beginning and end of rehearsals to set up and put your drums away everyone else will be setting up and tuning up as well. If you weren't setting up your drums you would just be sitting there waiting for everyone. If you wanted to reduce the time it takes, you could purchase some extra drums just for rehearsals and leave your good drum kit at home. Then you could save time by not having to take your drums apart and set them up again at home.

Also, if your one of those drummers with a ridiculous number of drums, maybe just bring the drums you really need.

However, if you're just a highschool band, it's common to practice at the drummers place.

Last edited by kilbie : 06-19-2013 at 08:14 AM.
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Sleaze Disease
EET FUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
Sure it takes a long time to set up and break down, but guitarists and bassists have to do that same job as well.

Nah, it takes me maybe 5 minutes to set my guitar rig up/break down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
eds1275

Assuming they're not a bunch of dicks they will most likely help you.. In my experience, it's been both common sense and courtesy that once you're done setting up whatever you've got to worry about for the rehearsal/gig, you always help the drummer.
eds1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Xpl0r

there are a variety of practice spaces around my area, they all provide the basic of the kit (bass drum, hi/mid/low toms, hi-hat stand, 2x cymbal stands, snare stand some provide singal bass pedal) this way all the drummer needs to bring is cymbals, sticks, maybe a bass pedal (defo a double bass pedal if you need it) and a snare drum, 1 of the spaces does provide cymbals but you have to pay for them in addition to the cost of using the practice space. If you can find a place like that then all is good, other than that having played drums in bands before it is a hell of a lot of hassle to move everything about especially if you have your kit set up in a weird way like I do. I was lucky in that the bands would practice at my place because I also have the guitar/bass amps to compensate for the drums but my guitarist at the time, her brother had a kit. it was shit and falling apart and sounded awful but it got the job done if we had to practice there. All in all it probably is the best idea to just buy a cheap kit and use it for practice. Use our good kit for gigs and recording
Xpl0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

There has to be a drumkit at the practice in some form or another. It could be as simple as bringing your kit, or it could be hiring a kit from the practice room, having practice at your house or using someone elses kit. However it's primarily the drummers responsibility to ensure that a kit is available in some form.

I don't really understand why this is such a big issue TS, every drummer has to get their drums to practice.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
JetPackBlues

As someone who's had to haul my own drums to practices and auditions because the drummer couldn't/didn't bring their own kit, I can tell you it's a huge pain in the ass. That alone isn't really an issue, but it can end up being a 'straw that broke the camels back' kind of situation if other problems come up.

As far as auditions go, if they're auditioning multiple drummers on one day and they have their own kit, it could be easier for the band to bring their own. That said, if the drummer doesn't have their own kit, or the means to get it to practices or gigs, then that can be a big deciding factor. A drummer who can bring their own gear might be the one to get picked over a more skilled drummer who can't.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNA
I told him my side of the argument was that the time to go to my studio where my drums are, pack them, unpack them at practice, pack them up after practice, go back to my studio and set them back up there would be over an hour of extra time, not including driving and the actual practice time.

They could make that exact same argument. You think it's unreasonable for them to expect you to do this, yet think it's fine to ask them to do it for you? Not to mention the fact that they have their own gear to deal with.

Last edited by JetPackBlues : 06-19-2013 at 02:22 PM.
JetPackBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I don't know what practice rooms everyone here is using, where I live, every decent practice room around here has a basic drumkit, so that the drummer need only supply a snare, cymbals and double bass pedal if required, and all that stuff can be rented. Whenever I'm asked to bring an amp to a practice room, it's usually because the band practice in a garage, and I've always declined a band like that, as it's an imposition on me, and would be for a drummer.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Chronus333

For the audition, bring your kit. If you are offered to join the band, then you can discuss what to do.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
TNA

Thanks. It seems like most of you agree that bringing the kit to each practice just isn't practical and a kit should either be left at the practice spot or practice at the drummers house. I have no problem bringing my kit to audition or to gigs, but it's something I'd rather not have to move around often. I have no problem getting another kit to leave at practice, but that wasn't discussed yet.

I've been playing a while and have been in several bands and very rarely do the other members help. Or if they do it's just to get it out of the car, after that most usually stare at it like it's an alien because they claim they have no idea how a cymbal stand unfolds . Also anytime after a gig it's not fun to help pack up drums when you want to go talk to fans so I'm usually left to pack things up myself. Anyways that's besides the point.

Maybe it's just where I'm at in my musical career, but I'm just not up for putting in all the extra effort just for practices. I own a full recording studio now, with literally anything a musician could want in it. It just doesn't make sense for me to inconvenience myself that much.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^^ Your bandmates sound like douchebags. I always help carry the drums to/from the car.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #18
TNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
^^^^ Your bandmates sound like douchebags. I always help carry the drums to/from the car.

lol well I wouldn't say douchebags. They do help on occasion, and I can't blame them for not wanting to help after we get off stage. I know I'd much rather be hanging with fans right after than making trips to the car. It's the life of a drummer and I have to accept it.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #19
kilbie
Super Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialGuitar
I don't know what practice rooms everyone here is using, where I live, every decent practice room around here has a basic drumkit, so that the drummer need only supply a snare, cymbals and double bass pedal if required, and all that stuff can be rented. Whenever I'm asked to bring an amp to a practice room, it's usually because the band practice in a garage, and I've always declined a band like that, as it's an imposition on me, and would be for a drummer.

That's interesting. The vast majority of practice rooms I have been to only have a PA + mixer, a couple mics and mic stands.
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #20
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus333
For the audition, bring your kit. If you are offered to join the band, then you can discuss what to do.

This. I don't see a problem. It might even be that they don't choose you if there are lots of other drummers auditioning (and even if there aren't). So worry about that stuff a bit later.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: