Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
Paddynbob

Schecter Omen opinions?

Simple question: Always fancied a Schecter guitar, an acquaintance offered me a good deal of 180 for a relatively new Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR. Played it briefly and was going to go up later for a second play.

Any opinions or comments on this instrument? I'm not very up on my Schecters, but I've played a few and really enjoyed them.

I play mostly metal and other genres, usually using a Modded Gibson LP 60s Tribute p90 through a Blackstar HT Stage 60

Thanks very much
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
ambler3
yes b0ss?

I quite like them, from playing one in a shop it seemed pretty nice, planning on getting myself a thru body one myself soon. only thing is say is whether you want a trem? Also the price isn't too bad, considering they retail at about 330
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambler3
I quite like them, from playing one in a shop it seemed pretty nice, planning on getting myself a thru body one myself soon. only thing is say is whether you want a trem? Also the price isn't too bad, considering they retail at about 330

I think having a guitar with a term would be quite good, especially for metal. I usually oppose using traditional metal tools and that, so I have a more unique sound, but having a proper "metal" guitar might be quite good. I usually just use a whammy pedal, but it doesn't sound as genuine
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
ambler3
yes b0ss?

Wouldn't really be able to comment on the trem frankly, as i've never owned a guitar with one, but i've heard tuning can be irritating with them, you would probably be best suited to asking someone else about that.
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
InfinityLP

I own a Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR and it plays really good, the stock pick ups are quite good too.
Tuning a Floyd Rose can drive you insane but there are good Tutorials on YouTube.
And with the Coilsplit you can get brilliant clean tones out of it .

hope that helped.
InfinityLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

If you're music commands a guitar that has a Floyd Rose then you need to get one. Personally, I prefer a more 'low-maintenance' guitar
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
--ESTRANGED--
UG Member

they're pleb guitars. if you're an angsty 14 year old metalhead (see: virgin) then get one.
thrashing about gayly with a schecter wont get you girls.

lol
--ESTRANGED-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor's Child
If you're music commands a guitar that has a Floyd Rose then you need to get one. Personally, I prefer a more 'low-maintenance' guitar

I would agree with you but it won't become my main guitar (low maintenance Gibson LP), ill just whap it out when I require a FR. I suppose you could say I might not really need one, but I've fancied one, and it's a very good price. Ill keep it in drop C, and adjust tunings with whammy.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityLP
I own a Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR and it plays really good, the stock pick ups are quite good too.
Tuning a Floyd Rose can drive you insane but there are good Tutorials on YouTube.
And with the Coilsplit you can get brilliant clean tones out of it .

hope that helped.

That's great what do you think of the action? I thought it seemed a bit high, but it might just be that guitar
Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
danvwman

decent guitar for that price as long as it not trashed. I had an older Omen 6 a while back, loved it bought several other Schecters because of that. Sold it to a buddy for way too cheap.....at least I still get to play it

Any they are decent guitars for the price, and for some reason they seem to loose a lot value when you go to sell them. You can get ones in really good/new condition for less than half of what a new one is. In my area a used c1Elite goes for $250-300....that's almost 60% less than new.

So bargins can be had, and not all Schecters have tons of flashy abalone. An omen is bare bones superstrat.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
InfinityLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddynbob
That's great what do you think of the action? I thought it seemed a bit high, but it might just be that guitar

The action on mine was a bit high too but with a little adjusting you can get the strings so low it almost plays itself. The only real problem I had with mine was that the screws on the locking nut weren't the best while tightening it I took the head off.
InfinityLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
thebestjoe

My Schecter Omen-7 is somewhat of my beater guitar, and it's taking it well. In the year and a half I've had it, I've rewired it around 10 times (More switching options like coil taps, phase switching, etc), gigged ~25 times all the way from beaches to mountains (transporting in a soft case). I'd say it's a pretty solid guitar, especially when I got it used.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
Paddynbob

Got the guitar, really liking it! It's getting it's gigging debut Monday (I know, who the **** puts a gig on on a Monday)
Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
vilk
******ed

you should think long and hard about whether or not really want a floyd rose. You can always block it I guess, but at that point why are you even buying the guitar.

also schecter guitars necks is like playing guitar on a baseball bat. I heard some people are into that but you know.

edit: ah, I see I was too late. How you likin that neck?

Last edited by vilk : 06-22-2013 at 05:27 AM.
vilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Shimmeh

I was in almost the exact same situation as you OP, found a lightly used non-trem version of that same guitar. I choose to buy it and have not been dissapointed, it's solidly built, sounds awesome (for the 175 I paid for it) and feels good to play on.

Then only thing that you may not like is that it is actually a fairly heavy guitar, but it's never been an issue for me. Keep in mind that I don't gig, so it could be different for you.

Whoops saw that you already bought it
Personally I love the thicker neck with this, a lot of other guitars make me feel like I'm playing a toothpick.

Last edited by Shimmeh : 06-22-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Shimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
samuraigoomba

Those Omens are built like bricks. With necks to match.

Sure, some of the other Schecters might have thin necks, but my Omen-6 had a seriously fat, round baseball bat neck. It wasn't for me and I sold it.

Still, for under $100 (used), it's probably one of the better guitars in its price range. Stays in tune and the pickups were muddy but not terrible.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
Not a Les Paul

I love my Omen 6 to death, IMO it plays better than anything else in that price range. That guitar is responsible for turning me into a Schecter fanboy.

Floyds really aren't that bad to deal with once you understand how they work and how adjustments are made. It's basically just a balancing act between string tension and spring tension. A well-made and well-set-up Floyd will hold tuning just fine when the nut is locked. The only real downside is that you have to pick a tuning and stick with it, because changing to a different tuning means you have to go through the setup all over again.
Schecter Omen 6 w/EMG 81X/85X
Aria Les Paul w/EMG 81/85 ZW
Ovation Celebrity CC-44
Blackstar HT Club 40 w/4x10 cab
Not a Les Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #18
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilk
you should think long and hard about whether or not really want a floyd rose. You can always block it I guess, but at that point why are you even buying the guitar.

also schecter guitars necks is like playing guitar on a baseball bat. I heard some people are into that but you know.

edit: ah, I see I was too late. How you likin that neck?

Loving the neck dude, I like big necks like that, because I have stupidly big hands, haha
Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #19
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Les Paul
I love my Omen 6 to death, IMO it plays better than anything else in that price range. That guitar is responsible for turning me into a Schecter fanboy.

Floyds really aren't that bad to deal with once you understand how they work and how adjustments are made. It's basically just a balancing act between string tension and spring tension. A well-made and well-set-up Floyd will hold tuning just fine when the nut is locked. The only real downside is that you have to pick a tuning and stick with it, because changing to a different tuning means you have to go through the setup all over again.

The action adjustment is winding me right up, haha
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
ambler3
yes b0ss?

What're the pickups like? apparently they aren't too bad for stock ones.
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Rate This Thread: