User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGG_
Well, every band I like their vocalist plays rhythm. I am obviously not saying every vocalist plays rhythm, but 70% do.

That doesn't mean you have to. If everybody else do something, it doesn't mean you have to do the same.

Actually you don't need to play any solos in a band and you could be the only guitarist. Not every song needs a solo. Actually a guitar solo is just a small, almost meaningless part of a song. It of course adds variety to the song structure but I think playing fast shred solos is just so 80s. You could also just have a guitar melody part, not necessarily an improvised fast shred solo.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
TGG_
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
That doesn't mean you have to. If everybody else do something, it doesn't mean you have to do the same.

Actually you don't need to play any solos in a band and you could be the only guitarist. Not every song needs a solo. Actually a guitar solo is just a small, almost meaningless part of a song. It of course adds variety to the song structure but I think playing fast shred solos is just so 80s. You could also just have a guitar melody part, not necessarily an improvised fast shred solo.

Ah, great!

I am definitely better at rhythm than lead, so I will try to get into a band as a rhythm player.
TGG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #23
DBKGUITAR

To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM
DBKGUITAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
TGG_
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Well I am good at rhythm, but not so good at lead.

I must say, the video I posted doesn't really show off my skills.

I have since sold the Fender Strat used and purchased a Gretsch. I will post a cover of a different song Thursday.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Actually a guitar solo is just a small, almost meaningless part of a song.
Erm... what?

OT: Think of all the bands with only one guitarist. More importantly, why is it important to be labelled as either a 'rhythm player' or a 'lead player'? By doing that you're only restricting yourself imo.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #26
TGG_
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor's Child
Erm... what?

OT: Think of all the bands with only one guitarist. More importantly, why is it important to be labelled as either a 'rhythm player' or a 'lead player'? By doing that you're only restricting yourself imo.

That's true, but I don't feel good enough to play lead in a band. I still need a lot of work on lead, I could go in a band playing rhythm (exclusively) at this stage in my playing imo
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #27
Meikle Treikle

Buddy, think about it this way: many people don't start till they're 50, 60, 70... so if you can play a single note you're doing alright at your age and ahead of a lot of others. You have your whole life ahead of you so just never stop and you'll be amazed at how good you can get.
Meikle Treikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #28
GMx

I've been playing for 6 years and I also think I'm not as good as I could be. I haven't had the chance to take guitar lessons, so my technique is very flawed, and that slows me down when I try to learn new stuff. I'm not good at playing leads, my fingers get stuck all the time. To give you an idea, off the top of my head, if you listen to the guitar solo in Thank You For The Venom (by My Chemical Romance), I can't play at all the part where there's a long, fast descending scale. I've been trying to nail that for ages, but I can't play it at all.
GMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
metalmetalhead
Panterica

When playing its important to relax after making each attack on the strings and notes you choose to hit.

This is the key to proper finger independence.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGG_
I'd rather get REALLY good at rhythm than lead. So maybe I will concentrate on that?
Study Early Who, "Tommy", "Quadrophenia", and "Who's Next". When you have that down, get with early Rolling Stones, particularly "Beggar's Banquet". Maybe early Rush, "2112". That's always fun.

Much of early rock is rhythm driven, as opposed to eight note chugging, with shred on top, as you run into with a good sized chunk of metal.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #31
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor's Child
Erm... what?

What makes a song sound good? Is it the guitar solo that lasts 8-16 bars? No. Good guitar solo is just one part of the song that makes it sound a bit better (or worse in some cases) and adds variety to the song structure. Play the same song without a solo and it sounds almost the same. A guitar solo doesn't make the song. That's why I said it's just a small part of a song. A good song doesn't need a guitar solo, it needs a good melody and good rhythm part. It's about good songwriting, not good playing skills.

Instead of a guitar solo you can have an instrumental bridge or some kind of melody or riff or whatever. It doesn't need to be a guitar solo (of course depends on how we determine a guitar solo). It also depends on if it's a jazz song or a basic pop/rock song. In jazz songs improvised solos are really important but in pop/rock you don't need a guitar solo.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #32
macashmack
Maskcashmack

The video is private. un-private it.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
cdgraves

Most people play for a lot longer than 4 years and suck the whole time.

Get into a practice routine, learn challenging music, play with other people, set goals for yourself. Choosing to get serious is most of what separates good and bad musicians.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: