Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Punk & Ska
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

What books do ponk rawk kidz read?

Let's liven this forum up a little bit:

It can be said with relative ease that many brilliant punk rock stars have been influenced by great literature. Henry Rollins, for example, is admittedly a huge Charles Bukowski, Henry Miller, and F. Scott Fitzgerald fan and runs his own publishing company that publishes his own authored titles on a very regular basis. Ian MacKaye has claimed to read and love everything by Kurt Vonnegut and Gore Vidal.

So. What kind of literature do you fine punk rock aficionados read? What are your favorite books? Do you read? Why or why not? Etc. Etc. Etc.
MattTheArsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

I'll be the first to respond.

I read a lot as a teenager, as teenagers in suburban homes often have very little else to do. I quit after high school and only read comic books for about three or four years running. My favorite books back then were typical of a high schooler into punk rock and horror movies. Get in the Van, Our Band Could Be Your Life, etc. A Clockwork Orange, 1984, etc. The classics everyone has read, Frankenstein, Dracula, etc. All good books.

In 2011, I was sent to an undisclosed location in Southwest Asia for a time and found myself with very little to do in my free time while I was there. On my 22nd birthday over there, I picked up a copy of Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (whom I had only read Breakfast of Champions by as a teenager) and suddenly, I couldn't stop myself. I became a reading machine. Between working 12-hour days, six days a week, I was reading about 5-6 books a week for several months and have been unable to stop. SH-5 opened up an old door for me again and I quickly sped through KV's entire fiction bibliography. His work, to me, was supreme in nature in every imaginable way. His humor and wit in the face of horrifying realities was endearing, his style of prose was short, poppy, and entertaining. His ability to make me laugh and cry about terrifying and macabre subjects was nothing short of amazing. Not only that, he opened up a new door for me to all his literary influences, and their literary influences. I became obsessed with reading MORE.

Today, I've slowed down because I'm back home at work and doing some amount of schooling, so I'm down to about 2-3 books a week, sometimes more or less. I've read around 45 novels and short story collections this year.

Nowadays, my favorite authors include Hemingway, Faulkner, Camus, etc. Gaiman and Chabon are my two favorite contemporaries.

The Sound and the Fury and For Whom the Bell Tolls have been supremely influential in my own life and writing. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and American Gods are juggernauts of modern fiction.

And there are many more I could name, but I will spare you. Doubtless, I may be the only person that posts on this thread, and doubtless, I've probably made this response too long-winded anyhow.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

I also, forgot to mention my love for Bukowski's novels. Ham on Rye is an amazing insight into the childhood of this disturbed and talented man.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

I like a lot of post modern stuff. Delillo, Vonnegut, Rushdie, etc.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

I've only read White Noise by DeLillo, I enjoyed it. Felt the middle dragged a little, but still enjoyable.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
shoegazer'
Still Haven't Found

Camus rules, Robert Smith wrote about his book "The Stranger" in his sons Killing an Arab.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad

The Plague is another good Camus. I'm not big on the beats, I guess bukowski is kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing and I fall mostly into the latter camp. I like Dostoevsky a lot, and Vonnegut of course. He always seems to be the go-to guy for anyone under 25 with a sense of humor. Other than Sci-Fi is kinda my thing. Clarke, Asimov, Bradbury, Wells, **** yeah. Heinlen can eat a dick though.
sargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
manualex

Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of the 20th Century

The book covers 20th century avant-garde art movements like Dadaism, Lettrist International and Situationist International and their influence on late 20th century countercultures and The Sex Pistols and punk movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Every self respecting Muser regards the 2nd Law as their magnum opus.
manualex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargasm
The Plague is another good Camus. I'm not big on the beats, I guess bukowski is kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing and I fall mostly into the latter camp. I like Dostoevsky a lot, and Vonnegut of course. He always seems to be the go-to guy for anyone under 25 with a sense of humor. Other than Sci-Fi is kinda my thing. Clarke, Asimov, Bradbury, Wells, **** yeah. Heinlen can eat a dick though.

Do you really consider Bukowski a beat author? I figured he was a couple decades too late.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheArsonist
Do you really consider Bukowski a beat author? I figured he was a couple decades too late.

He often gets mentioned in the same breath as the beats, maybe because his style is similar, so I guess I just made that connection in my head.
sargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargasm
He often gets mentioned in the same breath as the beats, maybe because his style is similar, so I guess I just made that connection in my head.

I agree his style is similar, but I think ultimately distinct.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
DanRev
Boom/Bap?

Yeah I'll second/third/forth/funf/de'ath Camus - but call Sartre a bore (apart from Les Mains Sales - 'You think you can govern innocently?').

You lot need to check Flann O' Brien - Like James Joyce but concise and funnier, and I ****ing love Joyce but then I have no life so can afford to.

https://biblioklept.files.wordpress...05/lit-crit.jpg

Obviously love Orwell - his rules for writing are PUNK AS ****

All the utopian writers - Fourier, Morris is all good shit; populist stuff that REAL PEOPLE read (past tense).

ps wuts up?

edit: and on the topic of sci-fi: Jack Vance died recently: he was really good: colon:

Last edited by DanRev : 06-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.
DanRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah

I have a ton of cheap books I bought online from Amazon, but I haven't gotten to read a single one due to how busy I am. I need to graduate college already.
Marshall JVM
Peavey 5150
Mesa Rectifier Cab
Marshall 1960B cabinet

http://www.last.fm/user/llanafreak44
llanafreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
Saint78
julian wells

sartre, dostoevsky, vonnegut, and freud.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Camus can do, but Sartre is smartre.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #16
lavazza
K**e sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRev
You lot need to check Flann O' Brien - Like James Joyce but concise and funnier, and I ****ing love Joyce but then I have no life so can afford to.

O'Brien is absolutely great.

After reading about his atom-exchange-theory (is that the correct expression in english?), that men get bikes and bikes get men, when you ride on them too often and that it is a sin to ride a ladies bicycle as man, I bought the third policeman and really loved that book.

Until now I got At-swim-two-birds, The Dalkey Archive and An Béal Bocht/The Poor Mouth.....
Just a couple of days ago I finished The Dalkey Archive which is my favourite until now. It´s a story about a young man who accidently meets de Selby a scientist who works on a way to destroy the atmosphere and who meets saints. Furthermore there´s James Joyce who...... I better stop here. You should read that all.

(I think the only novel of O'Brien I still need is The Hard Life which was translated to German by Heinrich Böll, the nobel prize winner of 1972.....).

You probably lose a lot when you translate stuff, but I´ve read a couple of poems and short stories by Bukowski, but to me it always sounds like he´s fighting with a linguistic club, nothing subtle and everything straight out.

I also like George Orwell. In his case I prefer the journalistic work, like Hommage to Catalonia or Down and out in Paris and London.
From time to time I also still read Brecht, Tucholsky, a bit Karl Kraus or Heine. They are all really good, but are rather for a short read.

The last book I finished was the debut novel of Magnus Mills. I´ve read two other books by him like two years ago. He´s really good and I´m proud of myself that I also read authors who are still alive.

I came from the same region where Vonneguts parents come from. I also like his work, though not too often and I think he´s better in writing essays like in A man without a country than writing whole novels. I´ve als read Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse 5 and God bless you Mr Rosewater.

A problem for me is that I need books you can read sitting in a train and the versions of Camus novels I have often have a hard-digestible layout, but the time to read him will come.

Many share my views with me. But I don´t share them with them.
lavazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
lavazza
K**e sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by █▐▌█▐▌
"I'm into surrealism, French, erotic, symbolism and existentialism, including:
René Descartes, Marquis de Sade, André Breton, Georges Bataille, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Mira Gonzalez, Pierre Louÿs, Friedrich Nietzsche, Legs McNeil, Tristan Tzara, Benjamin Péret, Comte de Lautréamont, Arthur Rimbaud, Stéphane Mallarmé, Charles Baudelaire, YHWH.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/FaygoBro420"

a bunch of dudes, how gross. i have been looking for lady writers i can vibe to but have not had much luck outside of a few critic/scholar types. :/

Snob.

I´ve read Breton´s book of black humour. It´s good. It contains Lichtenberg, Grabbe, de Quincey and some other stuff I´ve forgotten that´s really funny.
de Sade is really disgusting thouhg.

Many share my views with me. But I don´t share them with them.
lavazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
DanRev
Boom/Bap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavazza

A problem for me is that I need books you can read sitting in a train and the versions of Camus novels I have often have a hard-digestible layout, but the time to read him will come.

Yup definately. I got Molloy by Samuel Beckett a month or two ago and its just so dense, compared to his plays which are all aphorism, punctuation and short sharp wit. There's some nice turns of phrase in there but each page just seems like a wall of text. I read The Fall ( La Chute) by Camus and loved it, but wasn't quite sure why.

I have still not read any Vonnegut... Shall be rectified now that I have a job.

I like reading long form journalism aswell - really recommend NSFWcorp. Weekly digital issues and monthly print editions. Some really good stuff - particularly the War Nerd who just writes beautifully bluntly (some may say irrevently) on obscure little wars around the world.

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/

(its mostly behind a paywall but I can unlock anything if anyone wants it)
DanRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Tha Shizniz
Banned

Jesus= the first punk
Tha Shizniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

HAHAHA. Kurt Vonnegut always said that Jesus was killed for being too liberal...

Rate This Thread: