Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Super-proggy genre switching metal (gp5)

Title says it all. Tell me what you guys think!
Attached Files
File Type: zip The horrors I see.gp5.zip (10.9 KB, 150 views)
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Dayum that was quite the experience son!

Listening to your music I can see why you said my song sounded repetitive. Odd time signature changes GALORE!

Every couple of bars something changes, sometimes it was a bit hard to keep track of it.

But goddamn was that awesome, especially the funk jazz part. That shit was jazzed up good.

The solos were ****ing nice as well
Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar0player
Dayum that was quite the experience son!

Listening to your music I can see why you said my song sounded repetitive. Odd time signature changes GALORE!

Every couple of bars something changes, sometimes it was a bit hard to keep track of it.

But goddamn was that awesome, especially the funk jazz part. That shit was jazzed up good.

The solos were ****ing nice as well

well i wouldnt use this one as a comparison lol. when i was writing this song, i literally thought "i want to do pretty much everything ive never done, or at least as many things that ive never done before as i can. you know, make this weird as ****!"

this is easily my proggiest song
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
nikolazjalic

I thought the intro was alright, nothing special, until the jazzy part came in; and it wasn't your typical try-hard jazz that most prog bands do just for the sake of being prog. It was actually well done imo. The transition out was great too. I find that this is where most wannabe "prog" bands get caught up but you effectively transitioned out of it.
The transition to "odd time melodic riff" was really abrupt though, and it felt out of place. and the bars of 19/16 and 17/16 didn't really flow that great. Funky uplifting groove was nice though and I dug the third solo.
The ending breakdown felt kinda out of place; I'll emphasize the kinda because I'm still a bit undecided after a few listens. The riff is cohesive enough to fit there but something just feels lacking.
You've got an interesting sound and some cool ideas you just need to refine them a bit more.
nikolazjalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolazjalic
I thought the intro was alright, nothing special, until the jazzy part came in; and it wasn't your typical try-hard jazz that most prog bands do just for the sake of being prog. It was actually well done imo. The transition out was great too. I find that this is where most wannabe "prog" bands get caught up but you effectively transitioned out of it.
The transition to "odd time melodic riff" was really abrupt though, and it felt out of place. and the bars of 19/16 and 17/16 didn't really flow that great. Funky uplifting groove was nice though and I dug the third solo.
The ending breakdown felt kinda out of place; I'll emphasize the kinda because I'm still a bit undecided after a few listens. The riff is cohesive enough to fit there but something just feels lacking.
You've got an interesting sound and some cool ideas you just need to refine them a bit more.

well, with this particular song, some of the transitions were supposed to be abrupt, but that one into the odd time riff is less smooth than planned. ill work on it though, as well as the transition into the ending breakdown

Rate This Thread: