Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
adrian.mb

Question Keeping a Steady Beat

Hello!
Before anything, you have to know that english is not my native language, so I may screw up here and there :v
Second, I don't really know in which forum to post this question, so I'll just post it here.

Ok... lately I've been practicing with this nice little tool called Hydrogen. It's a free drum machine with a lot of features. What I've been trying to do is to play something over two bars of drums, and then two bars of silence, then drums again and then silence again, and so on, trying to keep a steady beat, so when the drums come back after the silence, I'm still in time.

I can do it pretty well when the drums are playing, but two to three bars of silence are enough to make me speed up or slow down sometimes :<. Should I be able to keep a steady beat even for that long? How many measures can you guys keep a steady (and I mean rock solid) beat for?

Thanks.
adrian.mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Fourfourforever

Until I come I suppose
Fourfourforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.mb
I can do it pretty well when the drums are playing, but two to three bars of silence are enough to make me speed up or slow down sometimes :<. Should I be able to keep a steady beat even for that long? How many measures can you guys keep a steady (and I mean rock solid) beat for?

vic wooten talks about this in a few videos. the best thing would be to start taking maybe 1 beat out at a time, and working your way up. you should be able to keep time without the drums even for multiple measures, but it takes time and concentration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourfourforever
Until I come I suppose

holy shit i shouldn't have lold
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: