images behind the eyes of the broken

haunt me until the end

its what you did

its what I've felt

take my childhood in this house

She said she was just never around

I cried but she swears she never heard a sound

Deep in the basement where you were more then a father

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before criticising me harshly with no suggestions on how to further this remember this is only the first draft written by a 17 year old at 3 a.m.

Criticism is expected just have suggestions to help me fix the mistakes.
vauzac35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

I could offer a line-by-line critique of this, but it might be more beneficial to just say that if this has happened to you, I'm deeply sorry. If it hasn't, why write about it? That is not meant to be disrespectful or insensitive. It is simply meant to make the point that one should really only write about what they know, especially if they're new to writing as a form of expression and art.

Again, based on the premise that you are inexperienced with such trauma, what makes you think that you can fully express a feeling like this to an audience? This piece was solidly written and had a heartfelt repetition to it that weighed heavily on the reader, but I wonder whether that's by fluke or because it's something you're experienced with. This is where writing about what you know comes into play. If you write about what you know, few can doubt you. They'll see past spelling mistakes, awkward sentence structuring, etc., something this piece has, and feel deeply for you. They'll sympathize, and even empathize.

A poem/song like this should be extremely personal or should be used to reflect another point. There is little else to be found here. That's not a bad thing, but you have to be believable or else it will come across as unrealistic and insensitive. It's just something to bear in mind when working on your next poem or song. Think about things that directly pertain to you, things that you are passionate about. Then use those circumstances, instances, reflections, etc. to reel the reader in and make them feel. Good luck, mate. This was a solid piece and I took something a lot from it.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
vauzac35

I was molested tho story isn't about what happened to me, I only used what happened to me to reference feelings or at least that's what I tried to do. Thanks for the input
Old 06-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

I'm truly sorry, man.

As a piece of written work that brings out that side of you, this was really good. I don't know how new to writing you are but you should stick with it. I think it's important, for both the community and for yourself. The fact that you can use your traumatic feelings as a reference for something else is very admirable.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
vauzac35

It's something I've learned to live with no reason for apologies.

Thanks, I've been trying to write for maybe a year or so. Once again thanks means a lot to me