Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #81
conor-figgy
UG's LX Tech

Studying Physics with Astronomy and Space Science in University College Dublin. Spent this year as the Technical Manager of the college's drama society. Plays and shit.

UCD has been called a concrete jungle, but hey, if you like brutalist architecture then UCD is your thing.
conor-figgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #82
Jon777
Assbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorelord666
University of Colorado Boulder

I hear 420 is a good time over there, to put it lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
I've been looking into some campuses in California but I don't know how seriously I am taking that yet.

UC schools, man. Pretty much all of them are quality universities.

~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #83
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon777
UC schools, man. Pretty much all of them are quality universities.

I know they are, but they're expensive.

Also if you're still online genghis, how early did you apply?
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #84
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

I study Getting Rich at Fannie Mae Institute

My SAT scores are who the fuck cares. That shit matters less than dick in the real world.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 06-23-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #85
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

I hate my uni

I shoulda just joined the military after high school like everyone else around here. Or used the money to travel.
DukeDeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #86
sfaune92
Registered abUser

Studying Computer Systems Engineering at the Uinversity of Bath.

Can't say I like it that much at the moment. Perhaps I was a bit out of place; I lived together with people who had their parents pay for tuition and accommodation...
And I can't speak English properly, and brits are for some reason really unable to understand foreign accents... Also, the society socials are all one-hour pre-drinks...

Perhaps second year will be better...

On the bright side, a lack of social life did give me a lot of time to spend on my hobbies...

Last edited by sfaune92 : 06-23-2013 at 02:40 AM.
sfaune92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #87
Neo Evil11
Banned

Finishing my MSc this year, have been accepted into a MPhil and PhD programme. 2years of classes, 3 years dissertation (but paid). So I will be busy for the next few years.
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #88
progdude93
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaune92
On the bright side, a lack of social life did give me a lot of time to spend on my hobbies...

Yes, I bet you're great at the five knuckle shuffle.
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #89
guitarxo
cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I study Getting Rich at Fannie Mae Institute

My SAT scores are who the fuck cares. That shit matters less than dick in the real world.

I wish people cared about them more so I could brag about mine.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #90
progdude93
Banned

I just wish I could put SAT scores on my resume they're better than my grades.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #91
bradulator
through being cool

I have a maximum of 3 semesters left of school and i could finish in 2 if i wanted to. But i dont wanna cuz real world.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #92
progdude93
Banned

But they TERKERJERBS!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #93
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
1. it's ridiculously cheaper
2. it's 3 years
3. international experience looks good on a resume
4. the degrees are comparable in a lot of fields
5. you can get a law degree in 3 years instead of 7

If you study law in Britain, aren't you pretty much forced to work there, at least immediately after graduating, since the legal system you will be studying is not the US one? I have some friends who decided to stay in Italy to study law for this reason rather than move to the UK.

Personally, I am studying Electric & Electronic Engineering at the University of Strathclyde. Just finished my 2nd year, so I have 3 more to go. I have to say, a huge part of what made 2nd year better than 1st is actually having a flat to live in rather than being in halls. Halls are fun for a few months, but then they get really annoying and not as enjoyable.

It's a pretty good university, but most importantly, it has excellent ties to industry. I am currently 2 weeks into a 7 week paid placement in Manchester which I got through one of the uni's scholarship/internship fairs, which is pretty sweet.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
solo_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #94
Captain_On!

Studying medicine at the University of Edinburgh, loving it so far - just finished first year. The sociology part of the year was a bit crap, but the social side made up for it. Bit gutted I never got a reply about a cardiology research project though

Ah well, a nice relaxing summer to enjoy
Peavey Audition 20

Last edited by Captain_On! : 06-23-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Captain_On! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #95
Stugg334
Bristolian

I'm hoping to study Medicine when I finish Sixth Form. I've just been checking out open days for the last few weeks since I finished my AS exams. Sheffield really caught my eye. And Birmingham was nice but I don't have the GCSE grades to get in - I have 8 A*s and 3 As, and that's still not enough to even be considered for a place there. Feels bad man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Stugg334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #96
Captain_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugg334
I'm hoping to study Medicine when I finish Sixth Form. I've just been checking out open days for the last few weeks since I finished my AS exams. Sheffield really caught my eye. And Birmingham was nice but I don't have the GCSE grades to get in - I have 8 A*s and 3 As, and that's still not enough to even be considered for a place there. Feels bad man.

Hope you do mate. I'm not read up on English medical schools, but I've heard Sheffield is decent. If you're paying fees, give some of the Scottish uni's a look in. Try and nail your UKCAT, a decent score in that goes a long way
Peavey Audition 20
Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #97
Stugg334
Bristolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_On!
Hope you do mate. I'm not read up on English medical schools, but I've heard Sheffield is decent. If you're paying fees, give some of the Scottish uni's a look in. Try and nail your UKCAT, a decent score in that goes a long way

Thanks. I'm considering Scotland, I'm half Scottish and I have tons of family in Glasgow, but I sort of thought it might be more competitive as nearly all the Scottish kids stay in Scotland. May I ask how you did in your GCSEs, A levels, and UKCAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Stugg334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #98
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Studying psychology at Glasgow Caledonian. About to go into 4th year and I'm currently planning my empirical project which will look at how the depiction of mental illnesses in films may influence attitudes and understanding towards them. Specifically schizophrenia but I'm still working out the finer details to get a solid methodology so it's all kind of up in the air right now.

As glad as I'm going to be leaving uni for now, I'm considering going back to do a post grad in clinical psychology in a few years or so. Although, that depends on what happens within those few years.
homeless-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #99
CoreysMonster
Banned

I study Animation and Game Design at the University of Applied Sciences of Darmstadt, Germany. It's a useless degree on its own, but the heavy focus on project work and self-management forces you into a mindset that is very industry-focussed. Most people who graduate here get pretty damn good jobs in the media industry. Maybe not at Pixar or Dreamworks, but not places to be scoffed at, either.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #100
Captain_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugg334
Thanks. I'm considering Scotland, I'm half Scottish and I have tons of family in Glasgow, but I sort of thought it might be more competitive as nearly all the Scottish kids stay in Scotland. May I ask how you did in your GCSEs, A levels, and UKCAT?

I did Highers etc cos I'm Scottish, but

Standard Grades: 6 1s
Intermediate 2: 2 As
Highers: 5 As, 2 band 1s
Adv.Highers 2 Bs, 2 Cs (already got in by the time these results came in haha)

UKCAT: 625 I think (ill for an entire month beforehand, all revision went out the window)

I got 4 rejections, then Edinburgh took me after all. There's loads of english folk in my course, so being from down south wouldn't adversely affect your chances I reckon. Edinburgh's the best in Scotland, but Glasgow/Dundee are pretty alright. Dundee's great for anatomy, but horrific for living in (nicknamed Scumdee for a reason). Aberdeen's ok, St. Andrews is weird cos of the split degree.

As long as you get your head down, smash your grades and the UKCAT, and have a strong personal statement you should do pretty well. Remember, they also want the potential ablility to be a doc, and commitment over a long period; not just a superstar flash in the pan. Good luck mate, I wouldn't trade it for the world
Peavey Audition 20

Rate This Thread: