Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Chronus333

Unsure of band direction

I joined this band a few months ago and there are a few issues I wanted to get some honest opinions on. So here we go.
- The rest of the members of the band are pretty offensive when it comes to constructive criticism. Should I just say what I feel and if they don't like it tough?
- I'm afraid to take charge in the band with things that need to be done because of how the singer may react. Things that need done include, more structure for rehearsals, organization of the rehearsal room, more attention to social networking, a dedicated rehearsal schedule.

Basically, the band needs structure, discipline, and organization but it seems as though I'm the only one that notices it. I want this to be more professional but I feel that I would be stepping on toes if I were to try and make changes. What do I do?

Last edited by Chronus333 : 06-23-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Chronus333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
kilbie
Super Noob

You could have a band meeting to talk about these issues, and maybe that will fix some things, but it sounds to me like it isn't the right band for you.
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

talk to them about it and make a list of goals you want to achieve and see if those ideals line up with the rest of the members'. people have different goals, needs, and means of motivation. there's a difference between being a leader and being a douchebag pushing people around, and without being able to see both sides of the coin, it's impossible to tell if your band legitimately has these problems or if you're just a control freak.

the fact that you need to bring it to an anonymous online forum instead of talking to them, though, suggests either the latter or, as kilbie said, you're just not a good fit and things aren't meshing up productively.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Chronus333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
talk to them about it and make a list of goals you want to achieve and see if those ideals line up with the rest of the members'. people have different goals, needs, and means of motivation. there's a difference between being a leader and being a douchebag pushing people around, and without being able to see both sides of the coin, it's impossible to tell if your band legitimately has these problems or if you're just a control freak.

the fact that you need to bring it to an anonymous online forum instead of talking to them, though, suggests either the latter or, as kilbie said, you're just not a good fit and things aren't meshing up productively.

Thanks for the tip
Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

This is why you go solo
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

if you're the newcomer to the band, you should tread carefully when you bring up things like this. but do make yourself heard, and be prepared to leave if it gets bad.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

So in summary this band:

- takes offense to criticism
- have disorganised practices
- don't practice regularly
- have a singer who is a little temperamental about others suggesting that they should get organised

Is it also the case that they have one or more of the following going on:

- 4+ hour practices
- claim to be an original band but play mostly covers
- are a band that have classified themselves within a certain special sub-genre
- don't play many gigs
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Chronus333

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
So in summary this band:

- takes offense to criticism
- have disorganised practices
- don't practice regularly
- have a singer who is a little temperamental about others suggesting that they should get organised

Is it also the case that they have one or more of the following going on:

- 4+ hour practices
- claim to be an original band but play mostly covers
- are a band that have classified themselves within a certain special sub-genre
- don't play many gigs

None of the above actually. practices are about 2 hours long, we play about 4x as many originals than covers, we consider the band as hard rock, and we play a gig about twice a month.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Chronus333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Galon
This is why you go solo

Thats what I'm starting to think
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus333
None of the above actually. practices are about 2 hours long, we play about 4x as many originals than covers, we consider the band as hard rock, and we play a gig about twice a month.

Sounds like its more organised than you make the band out to be. How long is your set?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
sjones
UG's Analrapist

My thoughts on the two questions you've posed:

Be firm in your opinions, but don't be harsh or offensive about it. I've worked with people before that are strong willed and can be defensive when it comes to constructive criticisms and change. In those cases, I've found the best approach to expressing my opinions is to be calm, respectful, and willing to compromise. An agreement to "give something a try" with no commitment is a nice way to get a band mate to agree to change, at least temporarily. Once it's apparent that the change, or criticism is for the best, you'll normally see that they'll come around.

You may also want to try to achieve a step-by-step approach by taking trying to better one of the aspects of the band you want to change before moving to the next. Trying to lump all of the changes you'd like to see together might be a heavy load for some your band mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: