Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
wiki123

Smile Best Canadian Music Colleges/Schools?

Hey uhm so I am planning going to Canada to get an education on music. I play guitar, drums and do vocals. My main instrument is guitar. I would like to stay near the main areas like Toronto, Montreal etc... I looked into Humber, University of Toronto, and McGill. I should say my grades are not the "best" :p so scholarships are not likely, or at least big scholarships.

I am also a Canadian citizen, but I am not in Canada, I am in central america. I don't know what else to say but any tips you guys might have, other music programs you may know of. What are the requirements for the auditions? Humber Bachelor on Music looks really interesting, and I've heard it is a really good program.

UOT also seems to have an awesome music program, but I am kind of avoiding universities as they tend to be more expensive, as i said before i am not "Scholarship" material pers ay lol, and dont want to leave with a great debt, SPECIALLY graduating in this field. Also forgot to mention i mostly play metal,rock.Bands: Periphery,Veil Of Maya, August Burns Red, TesseracT, Protest The Hero, you get the point haha.

So yeah i think that may be it, any further questions you guys may have for me are welcome. Thanks!
wiki123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
will42
UG's bassoon-master

Before you talk about colleges, think about what you want to actually do with music and why you want to study it. You're fairly vague about what you actually want to study, if you tell us that, we may be able to help you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
MattyBoy 1337
Registered Re-user

Well, if you want to go to Montréal, Vanier college is pretty good, even though it is only Cégep (lower than uni). Also, McGill is pretty good (which is an actual uni)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
wiki123

Quote:
Originally Posted by will42
Before you talk about colleges, think about what you want to actually do with music and why you want to study it. You're fairly vague about what you actually want to study, if you tell us that, we may be able to help you more.

Yes sorry, i wrote that post half-asleep and fast haha. I really see myself as a performer in a touring band, also being able to produce quality albums. I want to study music because it's just something I love. It is a subject I would put all of my time and effort, and i would actually like learning this stuff, not just forcing myself to remember. I've always had trouble learning theory by itself, never had guitar,drum, and vocal lessons. During school I really can't find the time to go to a facility to learn with a teacher, so I have to learn by myself. Now, over here where i live is hard to find the opportunity, like-minded musicians etc... I don't really have competition, or not competition, but someone that is inspiring me to get better.

While going to a facility with music, finding like-minded musicians as well as musicians with different techniques, points of view etc... is really inspiring and motivating. I find the Bachelor Of Music at Humber is a combination of everything, theory, ear training, improve, composing, business, and production. It is a 4 year program there is a lot to cover. But yeah I don't know if that was enough. Thanks Oh btw, I know my main music is metal and stuff, but obviously I am not going there expecting to study the history of Metallica you know? haha. I know most music schools are based off jazz and classical music. Which honestly I've always wanted to get into jazz and play it, so it will be interesting to learn.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
jazz_rock_feel
Banned

Honestly, I don't think University is right for you. I recommend going to a playing college that's more focused towards contemporary/popular styles. For that I would say Grant MacEwan is probably the best in Canada, although it's in Alberta.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players

the people in all those bands are self-taught. marc from VoM actually went to school for production and performance and dropped out after the first year to teach himself both.

just something to consider. most career paths are really "well, i should probably go to college for this and i'll make money from it", but music isn't exactly a stable gig these days, especially if you're not planning to teach professionally or perform on a "classical" instrument.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
wiki123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Honestly, I don't think University is right for you. I recommend going to a playing college that's more focused towards contemporary/popular styles. For that I would say Grant MacEwan is probably the best in Canada, although it's in Alberta.

Wow i actually looked at the Bachelor Of Jazz and Popular Music, and it seemed like a really complete program combining everything. I'll definitely add to my list, although the location is not exactly the best for me, but hey sometimes you just have to make sacrifices right? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
wiki123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
the people in all those bands are self-taught. marc from VoM actually went to school for production and performance and dropped out after the first year to teach himself both.

just something to consider. most career paths are really "well, i should probably go to college for this and i'll make money from it", but music isn't exactly a stable gig these days, especially if you're not planning to teach professionally or perform on a "classical" instrument.

Yes i do understand, but I cant really see myself doing any good just by staying at home and trying to "self-teach" this stuff. While colleges I wont have a problem paying and even get scholarships, and receive an actual formal education and be covered in the right environment, you know what i mean?. I understand it is a really tough business to be on, specially now days. Records wont get you anywhere, but It's just something i want to do. No matter how hard the situation is. Plus, again where i live there is not much opportunities, If i go to Canada, and Toronto being the largest city in Canada, at least i would think It would open so much doors for me, and give me a lot of opportunities you know, of course if i put the time and effort into it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
will42
UG's bassoon-master

Also, for any school you want to go to, you should be aware of the audition requirements. I had to have two complete concertos to audition to one of my school, in addition to major and minor melodic scales in 2 octaves, and 2 contrasting etudes. Know what you'll have to prepare, because not all schools will accept metal as an audition.

As an american classical-dweeb, the only non-classical schools I know of are McGill, and Berklee conservatory, which is in boston, and is probably too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
wiki123

Quote:
Originally Posted by will42
Also, for any school you want to go to, you should be aware of the audition requirements. I had to have two complete concertos to audition to one of my school, in addition to major and minor melodic scales in 2 octaves, and 2 contrasting etudes. Know what you'll have to prepare, because not all schools will accept metal as an audition.

As an american classical-dweeb, the only non-classical schools I know of are McGill, and Berklee conservatory, which is in boston, and is probably too expensive.

Damn talk about an audition lol, haha. Yes of course. Fortunately i still have about a year to apply to wherever i decide to go, so I am planning on studying theory hard for that time and make sure i prepare myself by watching YouTube videos of auditions or looking into other forums etc...
I would love to go to Berklee, it looks amazing, maybe over hyped because of the name, but waaaayyyyy to expensive for me.

Rate This Thread: