Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
padricjoe

Pickup selector problem?

I recently replaced the two pickups in my Ibanez S520EX about a week ago and they sounded awesome, I was very happy with them.

But now I have run into a problem, my tone seems to have acquired a harsh, slightly fizzy quality which wasn't there before and sounds thinner and less rounded. I was playing with the gain up on the Neck pickup (OD channel) and when I switched to the Bridge, there was a huge loss in volume and gain, and I got a practically clean sound. This problem rectified itself after a few movements of the selector though.

I have been advised that my pickup selector has probably gone bad. I also think there could be a grounding issue as I get a humming/buzzing when I touch the bare metal of the pickup selector body, though I still have this problem after re-soldering the ground connections.

My only other thought could be that there is a problem with my amp, as I noticed the change in tone after playing through headphones using the emulated output for a fair while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is really starting to get me down
padricjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
RCA1186
GO PACK GO!

I'd grab some electronic (contact) cleaner and spray a little of that inside, cycle the switch a few times, and repeat, see if that clears it up
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

6505+|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
RCA1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
padricjoe

Okay I will try and get hold of some contact cleaner. Never occurred to me before. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
RCA1186
GO PACK GO!

Its either that or maybe you have a loose solder joint on the switch somewhere, there really isn't much to go wrong on the switch itself I don't believe
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

6505+|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
RCA1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
padricjoe

Ah okay, I have gone over the soldering on the switch a couple of times so it should be okay. I just find it weird that I was having no problems before.

Rate This Thread: