Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
MattMurph

First Mandolin...

Ok guys, I need your help. I'm looking to buy my first mandolin. I The want one because they sound amazing, the smaller size will make it easier to transport than my guitar, the chords seem easy enough, and I'm prepared for the transition however hard or easy it may be.

I'm not sure where to start. I want to be able to pick up and play, so the acoustic / electric hybrid doesn't seem like its for me right now, unless the price is right. I'm looking to spend around $200. I can go beyond that, but I want to remain closer to $200 than $300. Since my guitar is a Yamaha F335, purchased at something like $200 at the time, and I am very satisfied with it, I figure that price is enough for a decent mandolin.

What should I know about the mandolin beforehand? What are some good brands? What exactly is the difference between an A style and an F style? Which would allow me to play more major scales? I'm not sure what I am asking. I basically just want a mandolin to use when playing with friends. Something that will stand out, whether it is the tone or octave I am playing, when I play with my like-minded friends, who usually also have guitars.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
MattMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.

If I were you I would just go down to your local Guitar Center and try some out. Otherwise, you probably won't see much quality difference between models at that price- point.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
will42
UG's bassoon-master

I prefer F mandolins, and most of the mandolinists I have met and know of (frank wakefield, buddy meriam, chris thile) all use Fbody mandolins. They use them because they have the larger resonation chamber, which gives you a bigger sound. Also, higher level mandolins are generally built to an F-body because of tradition. They also have a few extra frets but, take it from me, those notes are some high, and the tone is so pinched, that it barely makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
MattMurph

It has recently occurred to me that it may be very hard to fingerpick on a mandolin. This is something I need to be able to do. Is this possible?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
will42
UG's bassoon-master

I've never noticed any difficulty with it. Why would it be any different than a 12-string guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Just off topic I have a 12 string mandolin. You fret 3 strings with each finger.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
MattMurph

Quote:
Originally Posted by will42
I've never noticed any difficulty with it. Why would it be any different than a 12-string guitar?

With flesh and nails? I'm no Leo Kottke.

Rate This Thread: