Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Unreal T

Song Forms

I am trying to understand forms of song better. When I try to understand them I get so locked into definitions. I know there are many forms but doesn't it just come down to the melody structure and the way the phrases are constructed? I think of all music as a story and there are many ways to tell a story with music so whatever has been told and sounded good to most peoples ears they came up with names of parts of the songs such as verse chorus bridge etc.

I do not know much about older music such as baroque or classical but I am sure it comes down to the same thing?
Unreal T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
will42
UG's bassoon-master

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but I'll try. The traditional Italian Song Form is generally a two-reprise ternary, which goes [:A:][:BA:], but that's not really what you're asking, I think. Classical music and pop music (pop is metal and blues and rock and jazz) don't really share the same forms.

Are you asking why forms came about, or what they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Unreal T

I am trying to figure out what elements of music characterizes different song forms and what elements of music are the most important/common in defining sections of the song.

In popular music what are they? Like if you took 100 different bands from different genres and compared their verses choruses bridges intros etc. are there any elements of music that they all have in common to define each section.

Last edited by Unreal T : 06-26-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
HeretiK538
Petrol

In pop music (and metal and rock and whatever) there's the very common intro-verse-prechorus-chorus-verse-prechorus-chorus-solo-chorus-outro format. Most-all rock songs you'll ever hear will be a variation on that. You don't necessarily need a prechorus (sometimes called a bridge), it depends on you and the song

Edit: This isn't a steadfast rule, but often, a verse will be a fairly low-key, quiet affair, which then builds up through the prechorus into a big, loud, catchy chorus. So I figure, if your chorus isn't catchy, you might want to try and find a way to make it that way, certainly for pop music. Again, not a steadfast rule, and the more you write, the more you'll work out what works for you. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.

Last edited by HeretiK538 : 06-26-2013 at 07:37 PM.
HeretiK538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Unreal T

Yeah I just think of if as a story to tell. Like from start to finish because that is all what music is even in its most complex forms going back years and years ago to classical , baroque etc. There are tried and true ways to make it sound a certain way but in the end you can do whatever you want with it if you understand how to manipulate the elements of music very well.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiK538
In pop music (and metal and rock and whatever) there's the very common intro-verse-prechorus-chorus-verse-prechorus-chorus-solo-chorus-outro format. Most-all rock songs you'll ever hear will be a variation on that. You don't necessarily need a prechorus (sometimes called a bridge), it depends on you and the song

Edit: This isn't a steadfast rule, but often, a verse will be a fairly low-key, quiet affair, which then builds up through the prechorus into a big, loud, catchy chorus. So I figure, if your chorus isn't catchy, you might want to try and find a way to make it that way, certainly for pop music. Again, not a steadfast rule, and the more you write, the more you'll work out what works for you. Hope that helps!

Nice avatar. =)

On a side note Ive been wondering what OP is too just haven't asked it. Mostly,because I didn't know how to word it.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: