User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏

New Bass kit Advice

Hey guys guitar player here,

I'm moving into bass for a couple of bands me and my mates are doing.

I'm looking at buying this gear for basically gigging and recording. Mainly the genre will be black metal, but will also vary to rock, lighter heavy metal, country, blues etc.

For Bass
http://www.beatstreetmusic.com/prod...l?cPath=639_611
Will be painted black for dat br00t4lz look
or was thinking this
http://www.beatstreetmusic.com/prod...l?cPath=639_611

For amp
I was thinking this rig with another 4x10 for an extra 300
http://www.kosmic.com.au/bass/bass-...peaker-cabinet/

I'm really only looking at spending roughly around 2k give or take keep in mind this is AUD which everything is drastically overpriced.

Cheers guys for any advice.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

KISSguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Ziphoblat
Bass

Bugera is just Behringer with a different name stamped on. I'd just stay away if I were you. As for the bass... well, similar story really; I'd look elsewhere. I can't offer a great deal of alternate suggestions because "br00t4lz" is definitely not in my vocabulary when I'm looking for a new bass. Perhaps if you could provide some ideas of the sort of sound you're looking for, it'll be easier to offer suggestions.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Bugera is just Behringer with a different name stamped on. I'd just stay away if I were you. As for the bass... well, similar story really; I'd look elsewhere. I can't offer a great deal of alternate suggestions because "br00t4lz" is definitely not in my vocabulary when I'm looking for a new bass. Perhaps if you could provide some ideas of the sort of sound you're looking for, it'll be easier to offer suggestions.

Honestly I've got 2 BC Rich Ironbird Pro's and they are quite a great build and really enjoyable to play in comparison to my Gibson both highly enjoyable. That's why I like looking at BC Rich you usually get a decent build with decent tech within the instrument.

Sorry was being kind of a smart ass haha havn't been in here for 2-3 years. Basically I'm looking for a real thumping deep bass sound similar to this

Not sure on what you bassists terms to be honest.

Would you think maybe something like this?

http://www.kosmic.com.au/bass/bass-...0-bass-cabinet/

The behringer amp actually didn't sound too bad in store when i had a play on it but honestly I don't know what to look for in a bass rig all I know is guitars. I know the bugera/behringer is the same thing thats kinda why i was tentative to throw my money down on it as I know the quality was shotty on the guitar amps and I know it's only worth paying once not twice.

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Last edited by KISSguitarist : 06-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Spaz91
Turd polisher

BC Rich Guitars > BC Rich Basses. Their basses are simply an afterthought.

I suggest looking at Ibanez and Warwick Rockbass for the bass and pretty much any other brand for the amp. Kustom, Ashdown and Traynor are affordable.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
BC Rich Guitars > BC Rich Basses. Their basses are simply an afterthought.

I suggest looking at Ibanez and Warwick Rockbass for the bass and pretty much any other brand for the amp. Kustom, Ashdown and Traynor are affordable.

So there basses are pretty shit?

Could you link some basses I'd look at spending anything under 1k from the US as well.

I'm definitely looking for a stack though I need the power there. how's the ampeg I posted in that last post?

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Spaz91
Turd polisher

For metal in your price range, I can't really think of a better bass than the Warwick Rockbass $$ or an Ibanez BTB series.

The Ampeg portaflex is a brilliant amp. I'd say maybe a little pricey but I still want one.

Here's Ed's perspective:

And yeah, BC Rich basses are crap. Basses require a little bit more care in design (not to say that gutars are easily made) as they have more difficulties with balance, weight and the tricky frequencies they cover. Companies like BC Rich, Gibson and Dean who simply extend the neck on a guitar body aren't going to make anything particularly impressive. It's always best to stick to brands that have separate bass and guitar lines.

Last edited by Spaz91 : 06-26-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏

It's actually the SVT-7 Pro head not the portaflex, the portaflex is the cab.

Is there a 5 string version of the warwick?

It's just the John Moyer bass had really good reviews.

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Last edited by KISSguitarist : 06-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Well I can't fault Ampeg as long as you like the sound; if you're willing to spend that much on a head then you might want to look at an Aguilar Tonehammer. Probably the best tone I've head from an amp, 500w too.

There is definitely a 5 string version of the Warwick, not much more expensive too.

The John Moyer signature was originally made by a brand called Traben who made some pretty cool stuff and fair prices, then they outsourced everything and started making cheap tat. For all I know, it might be good. You'll have to try it in person.

Last edited by Spaz91 : 06-26-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏

Yeah I'm willing to spend a bit It's not worth buying shitty gear because you are just going to spend again replacing it.

I'm looking for something with a lot of drive something really agressive to get that real deep driving metal bass sound.

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Then save a bit by getting a solid state amp and adding a Sansamp Bass Driver DI or similar. It's a really useful tool on and off the stage and has great tone and distortion, I really wish I had one.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏

Quote:
Then save a bit by getting a solid state amp and adding a Sansamp Bass Driver DI or similar. It's a really useful tool on and off the stage and has great tone and distortion, I really wish I had one.

Awesome mate,

Why solid state over tube may i ask?

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Solid state is cheaper, lighter, more reliable and requires no maintenance. If you ever want a tube overdrive sound then it's much better to get a pedal with a valve in it.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
The John Moyer signature was originally made by a brand called Traben who made some pretty cool stuff and fair prices, then they outsourced everything and started making cheap tat. For all I know, it might be good. You'll have to try it in person.

The John Moyer bass was certainly a good bass when made by Traben. I nearly bought one, but ended up with a neck-through Traben Chaos Obsession 4-string. That one is an amazing bass. As far as I can tell, when B.C. Rich picked up the Traben signature models, they did not change the specs or the materials, so they may very well be just as good as their Traben ancestors.

B.C. Rich's mainstream basses are often something of an afterthought, as previously mentioned. Their U.S.A. custom basses are first-rate, but expensive. If I were looking at a B.C. Rich bass, I would look at the ones they took over from Traben.

Bassists generally aren't into the "tube mania" that afflicts guitarists. The problems with tube bass amps are: (a.) They cost a fortune, and (b.) They weigh a metric ton. Ampeg's legendary SVT head is 300 watts RMS and it weighs 85 pounds!

There are plenty of outstanding solid-state bass amps that offer a variety of tones, great reliability and plenty of power. They're also cheaper than most tube amps. The big trend in bass amps today is the micro-heads. These are amps about the size and weight of a car stereo that are capable of great tones. Some of them carry as much as 1000 watts, so firepower is not an issue.

As others have said, stay the hell away from Bugera and its hell-spawn father Behringer. Their quality is the worst, and they are known for starting fires. Ampeg's solid-state amps would be a fine choice, provided they aren't sold at insane prices where you live. Kustom makes very good amps; particularly their Groove Bass heads. Those things are as loud as hell.

Good luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏

So by the sound of things that Ampeg SVT head I posted will be a pretty good rig replaced with an ampeg 8x10 cab?

A whole new learning curve me that's for sure.

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Old 06-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Unless you're planning on filling a few stadiums, I wouldn't recommend the 8x10 "fridge."
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏

Yeah I'll probably end up with 2 4x10's

Cheers guys I think I'm gonna go the Ampeg SVT-7 PRO and an Ampeg 4x10 for now and another 4x10 when gigging arises

Gear
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Last edited by KISSguitarist : 06-26-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Rate This Thread: