Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
mjpb

How often do you learn a new song?

I'm a beginner and wondering how often you all learn new songs by other musicians
mjpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
johnyere

I'm always working on a couple of songs at once, it keep things fresh. Once I get a song to the point where I think I could perform it, I move on to a new song (I still try to keep most songs in my repertoire, so I still practice them even when I can play them at a decent level).

Remember, that's only what works for ME, it might not necessarily be what's best for you.
johnyere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Nikkie89

Hey there,

I'm a beginner also. Most of the songs I learn come from a guitar lesson + songbook by a
guitar teacher. I'm not going to advertise here!

Anyway, the lesson book is divided into ''stages'', every stage teaches a new technique, and the songbook reflects these ''stages'' and techniques.

So I want to say that I learn about 8 songs per stage. Probably every other 2-3 months or so.

(PM me if you want to know the lesson book and song book I'm talking about, since I don't want to do any advertising here)
Nikkie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

When I started out, in the first couple of months I'd practice a few songs. Possibly too many all at once but i'm way passed that now. Sometimes its best to focus on one or two things rather than a bunch.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Black Hazard

Hardly ever nowadays, the shit I listen to now is hard and takes too long to learn. I'd feel more motivated if my guitar wasn't messed up.
Black Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Dr.Cheese

I learn probably 5-10 new songs a week (on bass.) Whenever I hear something I like, I try to tab it out and learn it.
Dr.Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
TSCreaturesband

For the first three years I played guitar, I'd learn two or three songs a week on guitar, if not more. Now, I don't ever learn other people's songs. It's been a year, at least.
TSCreaturesband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Snotfish
whacktacular

Can't really say I'm covering anything, but I do a lot of listening and whenever I hear a band playing something I like I will go to find the composition they were using. This helps pull combinations and even new chords and strumming style etc. to put into your own work.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
skilly1

When I new to guitar, I learnt hundreds of songs, id learn one then move onto the next as soon as I'd used it up, guitar playing is very exciting at first, still is, but now there's less new songs I try to learn, rather improve on my favorite songs to play, which is cool
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb

Ive been playing for 2 and a half years now and ive never covered any songs. Ive just been improvising from the start.
SaintVitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyere
I'm always working on a couple of songs at once, it keep things fresh. Once I get a song to the point where I think I could perform it, I move on to a new song (I still try to keep most songs in my repertoire, so I still practice them even when I can play them at a decent level).

Remember, that's only what works for ME, it might not necessarily be what's best for you.

Same with me.

Im always working on more then one song that way I dont get bored of playing the same song. Ive only been playing a year so learning tabs still takes awhile for me to get down fully so Ive learned that its better to play multiple songs as it keeps it "fun" and less of a grind feeling.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
Lordsam247
UG's so-so guitarist

I normally learn two or three songs at the same time. As soon as I get them down to the point where I can play through with few mistakes, I pick up another two or three songs. I make it a point to play through all the stuff that I'd learnt before when I practice before I begin working on a new song, so when I first started guitar, I could play through everything I knew quite a few times. Now, I have to take a break every now and then just to get through everything once...
Lordsam247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintVitus
Ive been playing for 2 and a half years now and ive never covered any songs. Ive just been improvising from the start.

You should really change that - the best way to get up to speed with new techniques and new ideas is to study how much more accomplished players than yourself make use of them.

You can't learn in a vacuum, and trying to force yourself to out of a misguided belief that you'll be more "worthy" if you're self taught or didn't learn other people's music simply doesn't work on a practical level.

Knowledge is power, songs are knowledge - no matter how good you are now, learning great music that was written by guys with more ability, knowledge and experience than yourself will be of great benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
ibanez1511

I use real books mostly for repertoire. It is a concise way to learn songs. Normally I play about 3 to 5 a week.
ibanez1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCreaturesband
For the first three years I played guitar, I'd learn two or three songs a week on guitar, if not more. Now, I don't ever learn other people's songs. It's been a year, at least.

same, though it's been a hot minute since i last learned someone else's song. You get to the point where it's more fun to make your own.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

I used to do classical and learn a long piece every few weeks (most of the music is VERY difficult). However, now I just improvise so I don't really learn other people's music anymore.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
TV-Casualty

i learned guitar by learning other people's songs. forced me to learn new techniques as they arose.

for a couple years time i plateaued and focused more on writing than learning songs. I didnt learn any except for skeletal chord progressions.

now I'm playing in cover bands, and I can say that learning songs verbatim has been good for me as a musician, even if theyre simple rock tunes alot of the time. keeps the mind and fingers nimble.

so to answer your question.. these days i learn a couple songs a week, give or take
Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
bondmorkret

Like most people I learnt a lot of guitar playing through learning other peoples riffs and solos. Nowadays I don't learn many complete songs as such, but transcribing is always fun and good for the ear
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
You should really change that - the best way to get up to speed with new techniques and new ideas is to study how much more accomplished players than yourself make use of them.

You can't learn in a vacuum, and trying to force yourself to out of a misguided belief that you'll be more "worthy" if you're self taught or didn't learn other people's music simply doesn't work on a practical level.

Knowledge is power, songs are knowledge - no matter how good you are now, learning great music that was written by guys with more ability, knowledge and experience than yourself will be of great benefit.

I have been doing that to an extent but instead of learning a full song ive learned a riff or two and tried to improvise around it. When i first started i picked up some iron maiden and dragonforce tabs to learn the techniques they used and i just used that to make up my own stuff i shoud have made that clearer. When i get around to uploading some of my songs id appreciate it if you had a listen and gave me some feedback (just incase im as terrible a you fear i am ).
SaintVitus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: