Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Meikle Treikle

Hit a wall

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you talented lot can help me out.

I've been trying to learn a 'shred' version of Mozart's Turkish March for quite a while now on and off, it's at 126bpm and there's some long 16th note alternate picking passages I'm having difficulty with. After slowing the bpm way down and back up again multiple times, analysing technique at lower speeds, 1234 exercises and so on I still can't get the top speed played cleanly and reliably. I've read a lot of articles and lessons on this site on the topic but just a little stuck really.

Should I be working on my upstroke on its own? Noticed today it's a fair bit slower (about 80 bpm) than my downstroke.

Thanks in advance, sorry if the answer is elsewhere but just a link would be fantastic. Thanks very much, Josh.
Meikle Treikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Make sure you are using the smallest movements possible and playing with as little tension as possible. Other than that, just keep doing what you're doing.

Another good idea would be to take a break from it for a while and come back after you have learned some other things.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
johnyere

slow the part down to a point where you can play it comfortably, then SLOWLY work your way up.
johnyere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
leyshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyere
slow the part down to a point where you can play it comfortably, then SLOWLY work your way up.

Even play it for one minute very slow, the. Up it 1-2 bpm and go until you cant, then back up to no mistakes and practice there for the day
leyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Frankly if you've read most of the good stuff on this site there really isn't anything much we can do without seeing what you're doing so we can tell you exactly what you're doing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Meikle Treikle

Thanks everyone, I'll keep on with what you've suggested and post a video next time if I'm still having trouble.
Meikle Treikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: