Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
J2G
UG Member

Intervals and Ear training

Straight to the point, I'm using an app for hearing intervals when I'm not at home using the keyboard or guitar to practice hearing them.
I suck... Like I'm very inconsistent with them. I know practice makes perf/perm but damn... do I need to be putting in as many hours as I do playing into hearing these to hammer them in? It's discouraging as hell when I'm like "oh yeah it's definitely a minor 2nd" and it's not -___- after getting like 4 in a row wrong :/.

And I can transcribe at a decent level... I've done things like Gundam Wing's intro theme and stuff with the Transcribe! program, I thought my sense of pitch was good. Idk words of advice? Should I just keep at it or am I missing something here?
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
TwinBroz
Guitar God

Location: In a world of music, mostly heavy metal guitar, lol
Trust your ear, I have been transcribing for years now. It all comes in time and becomes
second nature after a while. I never did any interval training, just ear training. Transcribe music you enjoy so it doesn't become work, and over time you'll start to pick on things that sound similar. Try and see where intervals connect on the instrument to, from one position, from the root note try and find the 5th, and find the 5th again in its octave and on adjacent strings using string skipping. It helps chord construction as well and understanding why the shapes of the chords we play as as so.

All in all just keep at it for some time and trust your ear. If something sounds bad, then it must be wrong. :P Good luck!
Fender 15G Amp (Boo)
Wishlist:
ESP Signature (Syu) Crying Star
ESP Signature (Leda) Horizon II NT
Marshall DSL100 Halfstack
BOSS GT-10 Effects Pedal
TwinBroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2G
Straight to the point, I'm using an app for hearing intervals when I'm not at home using the keyboard or guitar to practice hearing them.
I suck... Like I'm very inconsistent with them. I know practice makes perf/perm but damn... do I need to be putting in as many hours as I do playing into hearing these to hammer them in? It's discouraging as hell when I'm like "oh yeah it's definitely a minor 2nd" and it's not -___- after getting like 4 in a row wrong :/.

And I can transcribe at a decent level... I've done things like Gundam Wing's intro theme and stuff with the Transcribe! program, I thought my sense of pitch was good. Idk words of advice? Should I just keep at it or am I missing something here?

The best way to internalize them is to sing them.Use whatever kind of phonetics you want or solfege syllables like DO RE MI etc etc but just do it. When you hear them through your OWN voice you ll start to make progress .
Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I agree with DreamDancer. Singing intervalls is a big part of internalizing them. When i started out hearing intervalls i would take the reference note, sing a major triad over it and listen for stuff like "Is it higher or lower than the third?" "Is it higher or lower than the fifth?" and use that.

But as said, transcribing music is also a great way to work on your ear. I learn exclusively by ear nowdays (Unless i got a gig where i get the songs during the gig and have to sight read).

One other way that i've found to help you improve your ear is playing a chord (whatever chord), singing a short phrase over it, and then directly trying to play it. You will suck at this at first, but after you've done it for a while it's really great. It helps with, as guthrie would say, getting the sound from your head to your guitar, using your voice as a bridge between them to make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
J2G
UG Member

Dope thanks for all the advice! I'll use it in my practices.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
ysalimari

ysalimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
birdbridge

or... you can save yourself a boat load of hours and just listen to them on your iphone or ipod using ear training mp3's http://www.eartrainanywhere.com

that way, you can be consistent, and still put in the time to develop your ears
birdbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
mpatton

Another thing that helps is thinking about a song or little melody that you know well and learning what some of the most noticeable intervals are.

For example, the "Jaws" theme is a minor second, the first two notes of "Here comes the Bride" make a perfect forth, etc.
mpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
dazzzer30

Ear training is good and it will more than likely improve on what you have but I hate it when people seem to think your ears will turn in to something magical , for some people yes some people are naturally gifted and some people just need to practice to bring it out, I know a few people that have been ear tanning and playing guitar for years and they still suck when it comes to hearing what notes are being played. I admit this takes nothing away from there guitar playing as its still great the fact is for some people its not going to happen what ever they do , but I am a strong believe in the younger you start ear training the better your musical ear will be .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: