Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
strum_

Chord Progression Help?

I wasn't really sure where to post this... but oh well.
Ok, so I wrote a worship song for my church camp because I get to lead the worship with my guitar at camp. The lyrics are great, I just need help with the chords.
I have a capo on the first fret, just FYI.
Ok, so what I do is I play the intro and the verses by playing a D chord on the fourth fret (I'm not really sure what that is called), and only playing the first, second, and third stings 8 times. Then I play the same thing but with my pinky on the 7th fret three times, then I move my pinky down to the 4th fret and play that four times, and then repeat the whole thing until I reach the chorus.
Then, for the chorus, I want to play G, D, Em, C, but switching from the what I use for the intro and verse to the G sounds weird. Are there any other chord progressions I could use? By the way, this is an upbeat and energetic song!

Sorry that this is so long and confusing!!!!!

Last edited by strum_ : 06-27-2013 at 04:08 PM.
strum_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

The problem is your starting chord which is basically playing of E, is putting you in a key where when you try to do the other chords, they aren't in the same key - quick solution if you want that to work with that chord, play with the capo at the 2nd fret and then try your chords.

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.

Last edited by Sean0913 : 06-27-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
strum_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean0913
The problem is your starting chord which is basically playing off F#, is putting you in a key where when you try to do the other chords, they aren't in the same key - quick solution if you want that to work with that chord, play with the capo at the 2nd fret and then try your chords.

Best,

Sean

I don't think I fully understand what you are saying... Are you saying to just put the capo on second and play the same thing? Because that doesn't sound right either. I am also willing to change the entire chord progression I suppose, but I still want it to be fun and energetic for the youth group.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

He's saying that your D shape is an E chord, which is not diatonic to the key of the rest the song. He's saying that you can put the capo on 2nd after you have played the D shape, and that will make the rest of the chords diatonic to the shape you play. Alternatively you could start with a normal D chord, or a D minor shape in the same place (Em).

Another choice is to write a melody line (vocals or otherwise) that emphasise the dropping 3rd into the G, ie. A melody that is or empahsises the G#, G over the intro E into the G.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Yeah play the capo on the 2nd and play the D at the 4th, 7th etc. You're merging two keys at the moment that don't play well together and that's why it's not sounding right.

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
strum_

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
He's saying that your D shape is an E chord, which is not diatonic to the key of the rest the song. He's saying that you can put the capo on 2nd after you have played the D shape, and that will make the rest of the chords diatonic to the shape you play. Alternatively you could start with a normal D chord, or a D minor shape in the same place (Em).

Another choice is to write a melody line (vocals or otherwise) that emphasise the dropping 3rd into the G, ie. A melody that is or empahsises the G#, G over the intro E into the G.

Ok, that made a lot more sense to me! The best part is, it doesn't take away the energy of the song! It also makes it easier to sing since before it was a little high. Thanks guys!

Rate This Thread: