User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

US Bagpipe Sound for Guitar

Hey guys, RoKHED again...
I've got ONLY a Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt, and an Epi. LP Spec. II, and I really need to somehow make my guitar sound like a bagpipe. I do have Audacity (V 1.17) for recording, if it helps at all...
Why? I'm VERY Scottish and Irish, about 40% each. And it shows... And I need to salute my ancestry in my first album... And I'll let HELPFUL contributors download my first album off of YouTube for free... Thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
vilk
******ed

Yeah, well, last time I checked bagpipes aren't Irish, and using digital FX on your electric guitar isn't Scottish. Why don't you just place a craigslist ad for someone who actually can play the bagpipes?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
socrfb

MIDI is an option. Unfortunately I don't know how to set up a MIDI rig so someone else will have to go into more detail. Basically, you can record your guitar and have it come out sounding like practically anything else, among other uses. Great for when you want to record an instrument that you don't know how to play.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKHED
Hey guys, RoKHED again...
I've got ONLY a Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt, and an Epi. LP Spec. II, and I really need to somehow make my guitar sound like a bagpipe. I do have Audacity (V 1.17) for recording, if it helps at all...
Why? I'm VERY Scottish and Irish, about 40% each. And it shows... And I need to salute my ancestry in my first album...

To be honest I don't think you're going to have much luck with this; half of the bagpipes' characteristic sound comes from the drones and that's not really a sound you can replicate on guitar.

Quote:
And I'll let HELPFUL contributors download my first album off of YouTube for free... Thanks!

Oh thank you, how generous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Listen to some Big Country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Country

"The song featured heavily engineered guitar playing, strongly reminiscent of bagpipes; Adamson and fellow guitarist, Watson, achieved this through the use of the MXR Pitch Transposer 129 Guitar Effect"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilk
Yeah, well, last time I checked bagpipes aren't Irish, and using digital FX on your electric guitar isn't Scottish. Why don't you just place a craigslist ad for someone who actually can play the bagpipes?

I know, but the Irish SOMETIMES use them... The Dropkick Murphy's anyone?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

Big Country? They're pretty good! Small-name band that I've never heard of- that I really like...
Anyone know about Roadhorse?
Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Geldin

Quote:
I know, but the Irish SOMETIMES use them... The Dropkick Murphy's anyone?

Dropkick Murphy's are a terrible example of Irish music. They're watered down punk with Irish accents.

I doubt you'll be able to get a convincing bagpipe sound out of your guitar. Like Zaphod said, it's characteristic sound comes from the drones, which a guitarist would have difficulty replicating. If you're that desperate for bagpipes, find a bagpipist.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

You could pull off the drone effect at least with the EH FREEZE pedal and throw in an EBOW to get an irish sound but It'd be more of a violin/flute sound depending on the position of your tone knob...but like someone else said its the drone thing the bagpipes do and you could at least do that.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilk
Yeah, well, last time I checked bagpipes aren't Irish

Whilst Scotland is most well known for them, the Bagpipes aren't ONLY a Scottish instrument. In fact the Irish have their own variants known as Uillean or Elbow pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 06-28-2013 at 02:36 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

Alright then; if I am screwed with what I got- then I am screwed...
Still, nobody knows about Roadhorse? They're pretty damned good... If you like heavy metal... I take guitar lessons from their guitarist...
Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

okay then, could I at least get a similar sound to Angus Young out of a LP Special II, and a Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt? If so, what settings? Keep in mind, I only have these two things! No pedals, amp heads, speakers, etc. I ONLY have a Vypyr 15 watt to do the editing...

Last edited by RoKHED : 07-02-2013 at 01:49 PM.
RoKHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Dropkick Murphy's are a terrible example of Irish music. They're watered down punk with Irish accents.

True... true... You win this round...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Steve BP
Sonic Abuser

Why not play a melody over a drone note?

You may not get the bagpipe tone, but you may be able to approximate bagpipe harmonies and feel.
Steve BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

That would be cool... I only have a Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt, and two guitars... reference my profile... Would I somehow be able to get a drone note to play while I play my melody JUST with what I have?

Rate This Thread: