Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
bindo

Cheap guitar with the tone of a legendary Martin?

Hello Gentlemen,

First of all the question that I have to ask UG could rather sound stupid to most people so please do pardon me. I'm in the look out for a solid-wood with acoustic guitar that could produce the sound of a Martin. It has to be with an easy to play neck profile too. As for the body shape I'd prefer a dreadunut with a cutaway. Even if it doesn't have a cutaway I wouldn't mind at all. I happened to play one of Martin's performing artists series (Martin DCPA4) once and for me that was the best tone I have ever heard of.

I have been watching nearly all acoustic gear demo videos of guitarworld on the tube and came across following makes which I believe that I might have a luck with. Kindly note that your recommendations do not necessarily need to be of following makes, it is just a small list that I've made. (I'm little more than beginner like player so I may be totally wrong with my pick below)

1. LAG (T100)
2. Alvaraz
3. Washburn
4. Blueridge

Ridiculously enough the budget I have is 200-300$ for this dream acoustic. Most likely I'm gonna have to settle with a used one from ebay or something which I wouldst mind cos of the short budget.

Biggest problem I have is that I'm from Sri Lanka and it is the last place on earth where you'd get to go to guitar stores and try till you find what you want. We have a Yamaha agent here, I tried pretty much everything they had but all of them were light million years behind the tone of Martins and the like.

Your honest opinions will be very significant to my query because only option I have is to pick up a model that is recommended by either one of you and just purchase it as I have no other options because of my location. I have a great faith in ultimate-guitar forum and I'm certainly not afraid of purchasing an acoustic based on this great community's recommendations. Please do help me out gentlemen It will mean a life to me.

Many thanks in advance.

/Vimuth
bindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

Honest opinion? Not going to happen. You could find an okay acoustic, but you're not going to get all solid wood, Martin tone for $200-300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglewoodguit
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Because if I par myself enough maybe everyone else will stop.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindo

Biggest problem I have is that I'm from Sri Lanka and it is the last place on earth where you'd get to go to guitar stores and try till you find what you want. We have a Yamaha agent here, I tried pretty much everything they had but all of them were light million years behind the tone of Martins and the like.
No, actually your biggest problem is that you're delusional, and bad at math.

Quote:
Your honest opinions will be very significant to my query because only option I have is to pick up a model that is recommended by either one of you and just purchase it as I have no other options because of my location. I have a great faith in ultimate-guitar forum and I'm certainly not afraid of purchasing an acoustic based on this great community's recommendations. Please do help me out gentlemen It will mean a life to me.

Many thanks in advance.

/Vimuth
Loads of sunshine always feels so good wherever it's placed.

Patticake always says the "Recording King" guitars, have a tonal philosophy similar to Martin. Even at that, an all solid model here is about 500 USD, and I surely don't know anything about the market in Sri Lanka.

While you're investigating that brand, consider this. If there was a 200 dollar guitar that sounded the same as a 2000 dollar guitar, you probably couldn't get one anyway, because they'd always be out of stock. "They practically sell themselves", the salesman said in the interview.

But seriously, price out "Recording King".

Last edited by Captaincranky : 06-30-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
bindo

Thank you all for the responses so far. Really appreciate it.

Captain cranky, I may be delutional and bad at math and I also certainly knew that I wouldn't get the 2000$+ tone for a 200$ obviously but I was hoping at least If I could go closer to it.

How about this Takamine G340SC? Yeah lets just forget about martins for a little while as I seem to have made myself a fool by attaching the heavenly name Martin to my query. Has anybody played the Takamine G340SC? After all it is a a solid-wood guitar and have lots of good reviews. But seem to complain about the neck profile.

Again I'd say that I'm not much of an experienced player as most of you, so I may be wrong about lots of things here but I desperately need to buy a one and don't wanna regret it.

/Vimuth
Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

Recording kings or blueridges. Save yourself the heartache and wait until you can afford the one you want.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
CageTheGates

takamine's are pretty good, my girlfriend has one and it plays really nice. It is easy to move up and down the neck, the action is just right and you can hear all the notes clearly.

EDIT: Always play before you buy, and don't be afraid of trying other models regardless of price range.

Last edited by CageTheGates : 06-30-2013 at 02:39 PM.
CageTheGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Captaincranky

Everybody here likes the Yamaha FG700 at your price point. The FGX-700SC is the cutaway & AE version, and it comes in at 300 USD. We should get commission for Yamaha, for as many of them as we sell.

You've already dismissed Yamaha

That Tak is a laminated top (AFAIK). It's decent, and it won't sound like a Martin either.

You could save your pennies and get into the Martin brand with the "X" series, which I'm told, do sound like a Martin. They've made great material compromises, and the guitars are made in Asia, to even maintain that that price point. But, the tops are solid, and the instruments are tuned to what Martin thinks a Martin should sound like.

AFAIK, you're not going to find any laminated top to give of the sound you're looking for. Most all the lam top instruments are plug me ins, and listen to the amp and great guitar electronics.

I said look into Recording King, and you come back with Takamine. I also said the "all solid wood" model was out of your budget. They have Lam B & S, but solid top models as well.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

if you want a guitar that really sounds like a legendary martin, buy a legendary martin. martin's all solid series like the 1, 15 and 16 series, don't sound like their iconic models, and for good reason: they have different bracing. that being said, recording king and blueridge do make dreads that are closely based on older martins (i believe the blueridges are based on 1906 models). they have the traditional tone, especially the all solid models - and especially the adi topped models - more than a takamine (at least, more than any tak i've played).
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Silent_Crow13
The Crow is Silent

Recording King RD-06 is in your budget. I really love mine. It's not going to be as great sounding all solid wood guitar but it offers you ALOT of guitar for the dollar. I've had mine about 4 years and It's never failed me. They really are great little guitars.

/sg/ Alot like a pack of wild dogs
Silent_Crow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Dr Brodsky
Banned

Martin guitars, though pretty good are not that good. Stick with the Yamaha and stop believing in fairytales. I doubt you are that good a player that anyone except yourself will put any flaws in your tone production down to your guitar. Stop being silly, and as the captain says, delusional. The Yamaha guitar is better than your playing. Yamahas are excellent and not stupid like you.
Dr Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

that's pretty rude for no reason. the guy doesn't know so he asked. how else is he supposed to find out? even if you're not a great player, it's still always nice to hear great tone while you play. when i first started playing, decades ago, it always made me want to play when i liked the tone. it made me not want to bother when i didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Brodsky
Martin guitars, though pretty good are not that good. Stick with the Yamaha and stop believing in fairytales. I doubt you are that good a player that anyone except yourself will put any flaws in your tone production down to your guitar. Stop being silly, and as the captain says, delusional. The Yamaha guitar is better than your playing. Yamahas are excellent and not stupid like you.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
stepchildusmc

don't worry about it too much Patti. every forum has to have it's trolls.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:

A little condescending and a lot rude. Also reported.

Personally, I've always found Martins to be a little dark sounding for my taste. However, personal preference is just that - it's personal. I also agree with with the response you got earlier - if you really like that Martin sound, then I'd recommend you save up and buy a Martin. A $200 guitar will never sound like a Martin. Ever. Cheap guitars sound, well, cheap.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Captaincranky

Quote:

At last, somebody that makes me look polite......
Old 06-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
stepchildusmc

the difference cranky is that he's just spoiling for a fight about anything. you have your moments but, you have a great deal to offer also. ( i believe that that confrontational type of character is just compensating for a small penis)
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #16
Dr Brodsky
Banned

If measuring the size of other peoples tinkle winkles is what gets you off then so be it.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #17
Dr Brodsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
A little condescending and a lot rude. Also reported.

You are soooo rock n roll maaaan.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
bindo

Greetings People,

Just wanted to thank you all of you for the kind inputs.

----
Dr. Brodsky:- I clearly mentioned right at the start that I'm someone so helpless being where I am. Your words just speak for your professionalism Sir. You must be the best acoustic guy out there. Just try not to insult the people with not a lot of options like you. Either way I just checked some of the threads you've started and much as I anticipated I was not the first one to hear such harsh comments from you. Guess you are one of those guys with lots of spare time to waste n unfortunately of others too, that's the sad part. Please do not reply to this thread with your cheap crap and make the thread unnecessarily longer and messy. Thanks.
---

As most of you have advised I guess I should save a little money and go for the Martin DCPA4 one day. But for the time being I'm more than likely to go for that Takamine G340sc. It may not be the Martin I wanted but I really hope that I'd get that solid-wood full tone out of it.

I know what I have started is an endless debate. I will leave the forum with one last question though. Whats your opinion about Washburns? If that is any good which model of WB you'd recommend? Thanks again for all good advices, really appreciate it.

/Bindo
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #19
Dr Brodsky
Banned

Quote:
Greetings People,

Just wanted to thank you all of you for the kind inputs.

/Bindo

Always here to help.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #20
bindo

Quote:
That Tak is a laminated top (AFAIK). It's decent

Captaincranky;

Im just curious but the technical spec of the Takamine G340SC says the following
Body: Dreadnought cutaway
Top: Solid spruce
Back and sides: mahogany
Finish: gloss natural
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Inlays: Abalone dots
Rosette: Abalone
Tuners: gold

They say that the top is solid spruce and etc?

Well I looked for the RKs following your recommendation on ebay but unfortunately not a lot out there that's fall within my budget. Please note that ebay is the only place I could get this from as no other agents would ship this across to my country.

Rate This Thread: