Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Morgothik

Metal cover bands?

Hey, where you guys live are there metal cover bands that do any good? Around here it seems classic rock/dance bands are the most successful. Actually I can't even name a band that focuses on doing a full night of metal covers. We like metal but most bars don't seem to have that sort of crowd. I know we could do single set shows paired with other bands but those never really seem to pay anything. I am really thinking we need to shift our focus more toward what people want to hear. I hate to say that because we love our metal but we like to play too.
Morgothik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Play what people want to hear. That's generally not metal.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
swave75
Maggot Vest God

There's a club around hear that occasionally has a Metallica cover band. But never a Slayer or Gorgoroth cover band. Either one of those would be awesome.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
Jesse0315

There is a bar around here that pretty much only has metal bands playing at it.

Basically...
Jesse0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Morgothik

Thanks guys. I知 not sure having one or two venues around is enough. I知 finding the thought that we are better off playing Mustang Sally than Holy Wars to be somewhat unsettling.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgothik
Thanks guys. I知 not sure having one or two venues around is enough. I知 finding the thought that we are better off playing Mustang Sally than Holy Wars to be somewhat unsettling.

Why do you find this unsettling?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgothik

Why does it have to be Thrash? There are lots of tribute bands that do Metal and cover Judas Priest, Poison, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Steppenwolf, Skid Row and similar bands. Generally, tribute bands for Slayer and Megadeth are kind of pointless, as you can see both at a fairly low price (and nowadays Slayer is a Slayer tribute band, ho ho ho) and they come around almost every year, so there's no demand. If you want distorted guitars and guitar solos, 80s Hair Metal might be the way to go.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Morgothik

We do play a mix of hair/NWOBHM/classic metal and some classic rock too but as I look around I'm just not seeing other bands that do that. I know there are tribute bands around but we aren't really out to do that, at least not when playing full nights. I'm just questioning our potential success vs. playing more dance oriented music.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Well, why not get out there with what you already do? On the bright side, if no other cover band does that kind of thing, you won't be competing for audiences. The worst thing as a cover band is having another cover band in the area that does your setlist better than you do. Besides, Mustang Sally is somewhat of a dead horse when it comes to cover bands!

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Morgothik

Maybe we should. We are just finishing up our 3rd hour of material but the more I see other bands in our area the less confidence I have that people will like what we do. I have seen a few bands of 50-60 year olds that played some hits of the 80's that used to get people dancing like crazy fall somewhat flat.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
koslack

Are you playing a metal bar? Or are you just expecting a neighbourhood pub to book a metal cover band? Because if it's a bar that caters to that kind of clientele, you'll do well. If it's a bar that has to cater to a wider demographic, than I'd say to change up your set list to reflect what the majority of people will want to hear.
Look at it from the bar owner's perspective - who are his clients? Are they college kids who want to hear radio hits? Older folks who want to dance to oldies and classic rock hits? Because this might come as a shocker - if those people walk into a bar, wanting to have a few drinks, talk with friends and maybe dance a bit, and they see a metal band up there, they're walking straight out the door. From a business standpoint, the technical terminology for an outcome like that is "really, really bad."
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Morgothik

Point taken. You are absolutely right.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Andalus
B瀟ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Play what people want to hear. That's generally not metal.

Playing music you enjoy is more important.
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Andalus
B瀟ned

OP: Play what you enjoy. Somebody is going to like it. If all else fails, set up your own metal bar and get other metalheads in.
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
koslack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andalus
OP: Play what you enjoy. Somebody is going to like it. If all else fails, set up your own metal bar and get other metalheads in.

"If all else fails, somehow secure hundreds of thousands of dollars in bank loans that you will be personally liable for, attempt to secure the various liquor, food and music licenses and certificates you will need (each of which is accompanied by its own bureaucratic red tape), find a location, negotiate a mortgage, oversee renovation during which you'll deal with some possibly crooked contractors, pay for promotion and then open your bar, after you've gone through the process of hiring and training bartenders, waitresses, bouncers, and bus boys on top of everything, some of whom will try to steal from you. Then you can play a show."

I dunno, seems like a bit of a hassle to me. Maybe not the best advice in the world.
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #16
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

I got a buddy that plays in a metal cover band. They play slayer, slipknot, cannibal corpse, stuff like that. They play with all the members real bands and they seem to have a good time doing it. I've never seen them live, but knowing the guys in the band, I have no doubt that they absolutley dominate those songs There's a market for everything, but usually metal fans want to hear a band play their own music whether it's a national band or a local band.
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
Robbgnarly

Never really seen a Metal cover band. I have seen lots of local original metal bands who might play 1-2 covers.

There is a local band that does Punk covers only and they do extremely well ($900 a night for 4 guys).

I am in the process of doing a 80's-early 90's Hip-hop band, because we can make $2500+ a night doing it, not because I really want to.

Most club owners can careless what you play as long as there are paying customers all night. They listen to the music the cash register makes
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andalus
Playing music you enjoy is more important.

He's already tried that path.

Why is it that in this forum "play what you enjoy" often means "play thrash metal in a cafe"? Having the audience walk out on you doesn't sound very enjoyable to me.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
Morgothik

It's a tough decision. I know what we would rather play but I look around and most of the top acts aren't doing anything metal like. Our original plan was to play a metal/classic rock mix but as we went went along picking songs we ended up leaning too heavy to the metal side. I'm afraid we aren't going to get enough work. It's not about money. It's just about having places to play.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
TNA

You have to look at why cover bands exist in the first place. They are there when the real thing is either not available (not touring anymore, broken up, dead members) or tours so infrequently that the few times they do come it is very expensive to see them. So that basically is classic rock bands, older pop, and a few hits from various other genres.

Metal has a relatively small audience as it is. Most of the big metal bands are still active and touring fairly regularly. Other than probably the big 4, most of metal bands do not sell out venues, and won't play the largest venues when they tour. So think about it, if (insert random metal band here) comes to town once a year, and they don't even have a big enough audience to sell out a large venue. You're targeting a very small audience to begin with and trying to convince them to see a cover band rather than just wait and see the real thing.
TNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: