Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
jjfeu662
Celestia

Recording with Peavey Vypyr 15

I have my Ibanez RG421 with EMG81 in the bridge and tuned in C#, plugged into my Peavey Vypyr 15 and into my computer via a cheap 3.5mm aux adapter, recorded with Audacity.

Is it normal that it sounds like shit?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pier8x8az4y2ffg/Bewitched.mp3

Sorry about the sloppy playing, that was just a test to see if it would work.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA

Last edited by jjfeu662 : 07-01-2013 at 03:57 PM.
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Yes, Peavey vypyr has very bad headphones output. I recommend you to record with a microphone, since the speaker makes much difference in sound.
I recorded both of the songs on my profile with a cheap microphone and Vypyr 15, you can listen to them if you want.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 07-01-2013 at 05:16 PM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
chatterbox272

Yes it's totally normal for it to sound like shit. Get an interface, even one of those cheap unbranded versions of the Behringer Guitar Link and free amp sims will kick the crap out of the headphone out of a Vypyr (I'd even say it'd kick the crap out of the USB out of the bigger Vypyrs).
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
xkovacsx09
Tater Salad

Yep, it's normal. Get some real recording gear. Focusrite Saffire 6's go for pretty cheap used. Got a Scarlett 2i4 myself and it's one of the best investments I've made, surely lives up to it's hype.
xkovacsx09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Well, no offence but you have the following signal chain.

Low end guitar -> Low end amp, with cheap electronics/preamp and power amp -> Port of computer not designed for high quality audio recording, with no preamp for the signal/poor A/D conversion, via a cheap lead not designed for that task -> A program which, at best, should be used for stereo signal analysing, not as a DAW.

You're doomed before you play your first note, even if your low end guitar has a bridge and machineheads capable of holding it in tune properly

If you just want to record guitar demos, don't worry too much about quality and just get a cheap guitar USB interface and use free amp sims etc. to record them. If you're serious about getting a great sound, prepare to join many on a long journey of education and discovery, considerable financial investment, and lots of trial and error

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
Yes, Peavey vypyr has very bad headphones output. I recommend you to record with a microphone, since the speaker makes much difference in sound.

With a shitty amp like a Vypyr, you're going to spend more than the amps worth on just a Mic. Throw in an interface and its 2-3 times the price of a shitty amp thats not worth micing.

Just go buy an audio interface, grab Reaper (Audacity is for dumb shits & idiots) & use free VST amp sims like the many listed in the VST amp sim sticky thread. You'll end up with much better results than you'd get from micing your vypyr
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
jjfeu662
Celestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Well, no offence but you have the following signal chain.

Low end guitar -> Low end amp, with cheap electronics/preamp and power amp -> Port of computer not designed for high quality audio recording, with no preamp for the signal/poor A/D conversion, via a cheap lead not designed for that task -> A program which, at best, should be used for stereo signal analysing, not as a DAW.

You're doomed before you play your first note, even if your low end guitar has a bridge and machineheads capable of holding it in tune properly

If you just want to record guitar demos, don't worry too much about quality and just get a cheap guitar USB interface and use free amp sims etc. to record them. If you're serious about getting a great sound, prepare to join many on a long journey of education and discovery, considerable financial investment, and lots of trial and error

Ibanez RG4xx are no Gibsons, but they're hardly low-end (especially the MIJ ones). Other than that I'd say you're right. So I need more money before I can expect to get anywhere. Off to job-hunting!
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
With a shitty amp like a Vypyr, you're going to spend more than the amps worth on just a Mic. Throw in an interface and its 2-3 times the price of a shitty amp thats not worth micing.

Just go buy an audio interface, grab Reaper (Audacity is for dumb shits & idiots) & use free VST amp sims like the many listed in the VST amp sim sticky thread. You'll end up with much better results than you'd get from micing your vypyr

Dude. You're mean and are giving biased information ("Audacity is for dumb shits & idiots").
I'm not saying you are wrong, but at least be objective when you are talking and give the reasons why to do something you said.

Also, I used a microphone on the 10$ headphones, and I have recorded this, which, in my opinion, can be used as a pretty good demo track. I also used Audacity.

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 07-02-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Dude. You're mean and are giving biased information ("Audacity is for dumb shits & idiots").
I'm not saying you are wrong, but at least be objective when you are talking and give the reasons why to do something you said.

Also, I used a microphone on the 10$ headphones, and I have recorded this, which, in my opinion, can be used as a pretty good demo track. I also used Audacity.

You're quite right that he is harsh in the way he speaks, but if lockwolf's user title wasn't enough to tell you... he's the harsh dick we all love, in the classic 'anti-hero' way

And no offence, but your recording doesn't really offer what TS is after if he wants a decent quality recording - sure, yours is fine as a demo of your guitar work, but if I was to listen to that as a band's demo/EP (assuming it wasn't just guitar) there is clipping all over the place, and even without other instruments to compete with the tone is quite thin and shrill. For a $10 mic built into a headset I can't fault you, but it's certainly nothing releasable or even worth a band using to promote themselves at a beginner level.

Btw, TS - I didn't mean any disrespect calling your guitar low-end... it refers to price-point; there are some great low-end guitars out there, and some absolute stinking rip-offs in the higher-end price points. But would you compare a 250 entry-level guitar, to (for example) a 2,000+ handmade guitar with all the fancy trimmings?

Music Stuff

Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Ok....just opened it up in a DAW and this shouldn't be too difficult to improve.

1) Turn your input levels down!
It's clipping like a mother****er, which is why you get that horrible distorted edge to the sound. Using a 1/4" adapter is hardly the best choice but you can get some ok results with it, turn down the volume either on the amp or in the Windows volume panel.

2) Get your tuning and playing right
Seriously, if this clip had been recorded through a 3000 Bogner it'd still sound like shit. The tuning is way off and the playing is loose. If you're fairly new to guitar...learn to play well in standard tuning before you take on this muddy drop-tuned metal craziness.

3) Use cabinet emulation
The speaker cabinet simulator on most amps' recording outputs is pretty shitty. Run your recordings through a cab emulator like LeCab, Mercuriall or the free version of Amplitube. You'll need to use VST-compatible software, which you should be doing already.

Quote:

Er....no. Sorry.

That sounds like one of John Frusicante's awful taped improvisations when his mind was almost destroyed by heroin, but without the redeeming quality of John Frusciante. Or the drugs. I feel like my ears have been raped.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound

Last edited by kyle62 : 07-02-2013 at 03:41 PM.
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
jjfeu662
Celestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
Ok....just opened it up in a DAW and this shouldn't be too difficult to improve.

1) Turn your input levels down!
It's clipping like a mother****er, which is why you get that horrible distorted edge to the sound. Using a 1/4" adapter is hardly the best choice but you can get some ok results with it, turn down the volume either on the amp or in the Windows volume panel.

2) Get your tuning and playing right
Seriously, if this clip had been recorded through a 3000 Bogner it'd still sound like shit. The tuning is way off and the playing is loose. If you're fairly new to guitar...learn to play well in standard tuning before you take on this muddy drop-tuned metal craziness.

3) Use cabinet emulation
The speaker cabinet simulator on most amps' recording outputs is pretty shitty. Run your recordings through a cab emulator like LeCab, Mercuriall or the free version of Amplitube. You'll need to use VST-compatible software, which you should be doing already.

1) OK
2) The tuner on my Vypyr seems to be broken, so the tuning is probably off. As for the playing, I have been playing seriously for about a year, have not had a formal lesson, and looked up those tabs within about 5 minutes of recording. As I said in the OP, I was admittedly playing poorly but I just wanted to test the setup.
3) I will see what I can do about that, but I still need some kind of interface (I think). Would that Behringer Guitar Link be passable for not HD quality but at least listenable recording?
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfeu662
Would that Behringer Guitar Link be passable for not HD quality but at least listenable recording?

Yeah, I still use one for doing little home demos when my interface is unavailable. Most recent thing I did with a Guitar Link: https://soundcloud.com/rightontime/tunnel-vision-demo

People get way too fussy about this stuff, by the time you've slapped a big dirty amp and cab sim on there you'll struggle to hear a difference.

Bass DIs are a different story, mind.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Yeah but you know how to put that polish on guitars which still alludes me to this day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Yeah but you know how to put that polish on guitars which still alludes me to this day!

Haha...I am NEVER happy with guitar tones!

The only polish I generally use is a nice analog-style EQ (SonEQ is my weapon of choice) - lowpass to between 8 and 11kHz, highpass anywhere up to 110ish, maybe a little saturation to soften out the transients.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
I feel like my ears have been raped.

F*ck you.

Aw yeah.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
jjfeu662
Celestia

Quote:
I feel like my ears have been raped.

May I remind you of my setup? I'd say NameofNoone is doing a fairly good.

I might record a Black Metal album with the Vypyr headphone jack.
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
fatherskunk
Banned

Never use Peavey. Best amp is Egnater Armageddon, you can turn all of the mids off so they can't get through and ruin your tone. For my price range though, I prefer Line6 Spider's, they have the most lights and therefore the most tone. Similar to how a guitar with more points on it has more tone, the amp with the most lights is the best. Keep on rockin'!

Sincerely,
-Father Skunk
fatherskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Inventive, albeit blatant, troll account there. 3/10.

Music Stuff

Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #19
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Yeah, what an idiot. Everyone knows tone quality depends on how cool the inlays are, and whether it has some entry-level metal guitarist's signature photocopied onto the headstock. Not the number of sharp edges! Silly goose.
There's not much else to say here, other than plugging my explanation of when not to use Audacity one more time, and saying- wait, you were using the line-in for this? Doesn't the Interfaces sticky say not to do that, right at the beginning?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
wait, you were using the line-in for this? Doesn't the Interfaces sticky say not to do that, right at the beginning?

Actually it doesn't. It says not to use those damn useless 1/4" jack adapters. Theoretically, if it was a half okay line in port and the headphone output of a vypyr wasn't terrible then this should work okay. Not great, but the line in is designed to take input from a jack intended as a headphone out so you should be alright.
But the vypyr headphone jack is pretty much arse and most of those integrated line ins aren't exactly great even by PC soundcard standards.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: