Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
johnmaybush

Jca22h/50h or Classic 50

I'm looking at these possible amps to do a majority of bedroom riffing with the occasional jamming with friends but nothing serious.

Musically I'm looking for something that can achieve this guitar sound.

Pianos Become the Teeth

But occasioanlly I do ambient/prog rock spacey stuff like Circa Survive(hate the vocals, love the guitar work).

I like verge of breakup cleans, but not sterile cleans.
I have a 5150 4x12 but will eventually get a 1960.

Currently looking at the 22h as it seems like an incredible deal and will leave me $ to build my pedal board. My only concern is the "crunch channel" when loud enough for jamming won't be as jangley as the beginning of that song I posted and more just OD. Two seperate master volumes is a plus.

I like the sound of the Classic 50 but I've read the volume between the clean and overdrive is severe and if I crank the clean to jangle the OD won't be loud enough. Od pedal maybe an option here. Reliability and U.S.A. made metal is a plus.

The Jca50h seems like the easy answer as it's the best of everything I'm looking for but I'm hoping the 22h will fit my needs How do the transformers compare on the 50h vs the classic 50

Thanks and sorry if I missed a thread. I searched and found threads discussing the two but it

Last edited by johnmaybush : 07-01-2013 at 08:06 PM.
johnmaybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i've tried (own) the 50 watt jet city head and have tried the classic 30 (i'm guessing the 50 is broadly similar).

the simple answer really is if you play heavier stuff (say... 80s rock/metal or heavier) get the jet city. if you play lighter stuff, get the peavey.

i can't really advise on the 22 versus 50. i'd probably edge towards the 50 on the basis that (here in europe, anyway) the prices are similar, and bigger bottle power tubes/more headroom tends to work better with high gain amps like the jet city. Plus considering a lot of its tone is in the preamp (not to mention that ~20 watts is still darn loud), you can get good tone at lower volumes, too. Unless you knew for sure that the 22 was the one for you, I'd probably consider the 50 to be the "safer" choice, kind of thing. But as i said, i haven't tried the 22, so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I think you'd be best getting something AC30ish for the intro jangle sound, and then just boosting the crap out of it with an SD-1 type pedal or even just an actual dirt pedal on top for the rest.

If you're getting a 1960 in the future anyway, I would look into a Marshall DSL or a JCM900 Mk.III.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
johnmaybush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i've tried (own) the 50 watt jet city head and have tried the classic 30 (i'm guessing the 50 is broadly similar).

the simple answer really is if you play heavier stuff (say... 80s rock/metal or heavier) get the jet city. if you play lighter stuff, get the peavey.

i can't really advise on the 22 versus 50. i'd probably edge towards the 50 on the basis that (here in europe, anyway) the prices are similar, and bigger bottle power tubes/more headroom tends to work better with high gain amps like the jet city. Plus considering a lot of its tone is in the preamp (not to mention that ~20 watts is still darn loud), you can get good tone at lower volumes, too. Unless you knew for sure that the 22 was the one for you, I'd probably consider the 50 to be the "safer" choice, kind of thing. But as i said, i haven't tried the 22, so

Does the 50 take various effects well up front? They will all be pedal based so I won't be using the loop. Layed delay, reverb, etc etc.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaybush
Does the 50 take various effects well up front? They will all be pedal based so I won't be using the loop. Layed delay, reverb, etc etc.

yep. the classic 50 takes pedals very well. pretty much the only reason i got mine. the clean channel has a lot of headroom and gets loud. the lead channel is okay. nothing to write home about.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
I'd go with the Jet City 50 and drop in a set of KT66s. FastRedPonyCar on youtube has no issues running effects in front his Jet City stuff.

The JCA50H also has an effects loop, though people complain about it. It's before the MV and the EQ and causes volume issues with the effects. And if it's anything like other Soldano stuff it's a line level loop and sounds like doodoo with instrument level (and/or low impedance line level) pedals but great with rack gear.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show

Last edited by Seref : 07-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
johnmaybush

Thank you everyone for the advice.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

i think all i've run in front of mine is ods used as boosts

Quote:

Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
johnmaybush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i think all i've run in front of mine is ods used as boosts

No extreme hiss? A friend has 5150 and his amp turns into a jet airplane when he uses boost and other various pedals.

Classic 50 is out if the question based on what I've heard. So now it is a debate on a new jca22 with warranty or used jca50 with no warranty. Same price. Decisions,.decisions

Last edited by johnmaybush : 07-04-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
patriotplayer90

The clean channel on the Classic 50 is huge, I couldn't imagine any volume problems.

I love the JCA20H, but not really much else in their lineup. They all sound thin and lack much high end presence. They really can't get clean at all. The 20h is a rock monster though, and sounded jangly with single coils even at higher gain levels.

I would suggest something AC30ish as well. Which is pretty much just leaves the AC30.
patriotplayer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotplayer90
I would suggest something AC30ish as well. Which is pretty much just leaves the AC30.

Laney VC30.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
patriotplayer90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Laney VC30.

True dat
patriotplayer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
No extreme hiss? A friend has 5150 and his amp turns into a jet airplane when he uses boost and other various pedals.

nah not really. admittedly i only play at home at pretty low volume levels, so But i'd say it's quieter than my laney gh50L, if that tells you anything.

Quote:

Old 07-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Honestly, look for something with a single channel and use a pedal to boost it for gain. Run the amp on the verge of breakup then for heavier parts kick on an OD or distortion. Pop into this thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...53&page=1&pp=40 A lot of guys in there listen to stuff like Pianos Become Teeth. You'll get your help.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
johnmaybush

I will check it out. Thank you sir.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

The JCA50H takes pedals infront very well. I'm running 8 pedals on my board in front now, and no problems so far. My dealy and phaser actually sound awesome!

The C50 would def have better cleans, but the JCA has a killer dirty tone. You can push the clean channel on the JCA to get a nice light blues od as well.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...

A C50 can do the cleans you're looking for all day, and the OD can be "helped" significantly with some circuit mods and proper preamp tubes. The OD channel will have no issue keeping up with the Clean, just needs a little bump in the Post volume to put them on level. And yes, an OD pedal used as a clean boost goes on a long way to getting Marshallesque OD tones, as does a good closed back cab with some proper speakers. For metal, you'll be needing to run pedals through the clean channel, so the "amp in a box" pedals like Wampler sells go a long way. The JC amps will certainly do high gain better, so if that's what you're looking for then they're your mark.

As far as getting breakup on the Clean channel of the C50, fuggetaboutit. The paint will peel and your ears will bleed before that happens. The Lead channel can be set for a good clean that gets grittier with guitar volume, but don't look for breakup on the Clean channel, not without a pedal.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
johnmaybush

Thanks all for the advice and help.

The c50 sounds nice but from the sound clips I've heard I'd have to mod the OD to make it work for me with the shared q so that takes it out of my price point.

The JCA def is a more complimentary shared EQ and a crunch/overdrive with two master volumes makes it a deal.

So now I'm debating between the 22h and 50h. I'm going to be 90% house rocker and 10% jamming with friends. Will the 50 benefit me? I don't do metal and the heaviest I get is some 2000's screamo styling like Pianos/Pg.99 but mostly ambient/shoegaze stylings is what I write.

I can get the 22h New with warranty for about the same price as 50h used.

Opinions?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i've only tried the 50. so obviously bear that in mind.

i'd probably get the 50. reason being that (a) 20 watts cranked will still be way too loud for a home situation, (b) 50 watts gives you a bit more headroom margin for error if you ever do gig and (c) higher gain amps seem to sound better with bigger bottle power tubes/more wattage/bigger transformers (possible a headroom/bass response thing).

though the fact you can get the 22 new with warranty for the same price as the used 50 does make it possibly a harder decision.

plus as i said, i haven't tried the 22, it may well sound badass

Quote:

Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
johnmaybush

Well I found these two combos that I think will suit my style of music, both about the same price.

YCV80
YCV50

I like what I've heard of both and seem to be a Classic 50 with more sparkle clean and usable od.
Since the 80 is supposed to be more Fender Twin I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that one tomorrow, but something about EL34 tubes appeals to me... Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Rate This Thread: