Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #81
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
 
Horsedick.MPEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buck Hill
I think for my cover of One, I should mute the bass like the real mix.
__________________
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.



Stalk Me

Soundcloud

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #82
whywefight
would you kindly
 
whywefight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: I don't care where just far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
I think for my cover of One, I should mute the bass like the real mix.


Turn the bass up to the point where it destroys speakers, and then turn down the solo and make it all treble-y with really shitty distortion so it sounds like static


production guise
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #83
Crofty89
I came here to rock
 
Crofty89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Behind you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm not sure which entries he missed.


I've resubmitted my entry that Leony missed. The other person he missed posted about it on the Easy voting thread, should be easy enough to find.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV334
Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Crofty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #84
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Um, One by Metallic should probably be advanced, shouldn't it?

Those solos are fast as shit


I don't know if I'll get anything it which is why I haven't said anything yet. Might try to do something next week when I have time.

Probably, The Low Road Has No Exits by Every Time I Die (intermediate guitar)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
95% of teens have moved on to hip hop. Put this in your sig if you're part of th 5% who care about REAL music.




Check out my...

YouTube

Last edited by WCPhils : 07-09-2013 at 12:54 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #85
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
 
Horsedick.MPEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buck Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
Um, One by Metallic should probably be advanced, shouldn't it?

Those solos are fast as shit


They're not really that difficult

__________________
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.



Stalk Me

Soundcloud

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #86
whywefight
would you kindly
 
whywefight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: I don't care where just far
I guess I thought the tapping was twice as fast as that from what I remembered.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #87
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
yea, I guess. I was just wondering since we've put some of the easier Protest the Hero songs and stuff in advanced and I would have a much easier time with them than with that.

Guess it depends on what your comfortable playing though
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
95% of teens have moved on to hip hop. Put this in your sig if you're part of th 5% who care about REAL music.




Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #88
whywefight
would you kindly
 
whywefight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: I don't care where just far
Ok, it wasn't that it was twice as fast, it's that I thought the tapping pattern was a little bit more complicated than it actually is.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #89
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
 
Random3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
One by Metallica is advanced for this I think. It isn't as hard as PTH or whatever but there are enough tricky parts to make it fit advanced rather than intermediate. The trickier Metallica songs we have had in the past have always been advanced.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #90
theogonia777
Professional Musician
 
theogonia777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Backwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
I guess I thought the tapping was twice as fast as that from what I remembered.


No, it definitely is faster. Though doing basic tapping like that twice as fast isn't really all that difficult anyway.
__________________
To die without leaving a corpse... That is the way of us Garo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.


Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #91
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
 
Horsedick.MPEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buck Hill
Well if you guys think Metallica is advanced, then you guys can stick that in there. I'm not that picky
__________________
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.



Stalk Me

Soundcloud

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #92
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...
 
Cavalcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3
Also that Finntroll song is too fast to be easy.

Eh, I guess it can be intermediate. Either way, I'll be redoing the music from scratch, like last time. It's easier now that there's a tab, even if it's still in the TPA queue (hint hint).
__________________
If you're reading this, it means UG still has this, but not a :sam: smiley.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #93
damian_91
Registered User
 
damian_91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Argentina
Also gon' be doing Codex by Veil of Maya, intermediate guitar.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.


Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damian-91

My Gear:

Misha Mansoor Signature Carvin DC 747
Boss NF-1 Noise Gate (x10)
damian_91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #94
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
 
leony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fixed point in time and space
I made this video because some people on my channel ask me what I use to record my covers and it may be of interest to people here. If not, then dats kewl.

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #95
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by leony03
I made this video because some people on my channel ask me what I use to record my covers and it may be of interest to people here. If not, then dats kewl.


Props for going to the effort of making that video and trying to be as detailed as possible GM = General MIDI, not that it matters too much as you know how to use it, by the way

A few pointers though (and I mean no offence by it, just trying to help) :

1) You mention setting up two tracks for each take... that's fine if you want to use different amp sims/signal chains to thicken the tone of one take, but you seem to be having one as 'left' and one as 'right' to 'give a better stereo' - that's not true, dunno who told you that. You're recording mono takes, because in any song most of the tracks are mono (because you have one source) apart from stuff like stereo drum overheads/room mice, and recording acoustic instruments in stereo. With a heavy/rock guitar sound, you're 99% of the time going to want to record in mono with one mic, or several mono tracks with various mics but the same source, and pan them fairly similarly.

Panning one guitar track hard left and the other hard right, if they come from the same source, will only ever make a centre-panned mono sound, albeit louder (by 3 or 6dB I think), because mono on a stereo system is basically both sides of the stereo field playing the same thing, giving what we call a 'phantom centre'.

All you're doing by recording two takes for 'left and right' is using up twice as much hard drive space


2) Your computer does seem very slow, maybe that's the main problem, but I can't believe how much latency you seem to be getting when recording just two simultaneous tracks - my '08 iMac could do that on projects with 30-40 other tracks, and not give any noticeable latency (nothing you could hear, obviously there would have been a couple of ms). Have you got your computer and/or Reaper set up properly? What is your buffer rate for Reaper? Having to manually re-allign all your tracks after recording is insane and would drive me mad.

Instead of using nudge though, and clicking the button to keep moving it across, why not highlight both regions and just drag them into place (and if you zoom in more, you could be much faster and more accurate than the nudge feature is allowing you in that video), if you can't get rid of the latency.


As for the end, I won't mention about mixing and mastering because I could go on all day and will bore anybody here, especially as I imagine most users just want to demo guitar recordings, not release any music and learn about audio engineering.


Again though, well done for having the patience to make a video like that and I hope this doesn't come across as belittling the video - I just felt like correcting the few minor inaccuracies to help you further
__________________

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #96
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist
 
H4T3BR33D3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The laaaaaaand of the rising sun
OP Updated
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
I'm not artsy at all. At least not in the visual sense.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy




Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.


Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #97
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
 
leony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fixed point in time and space
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Props for going to the effort of making that video and trying to be as detailed as possible GM = General MIDI, not that it matters too much as you know how to use it, by the way

A few pointers though (and I mean no offence by it, just trying to help)

1) You mention setting up two tracks for each take... that's fine if you want to use different amp sims/signal chains to thicken the tone of one take, but you seem to be having one as 'left' and one as 'right' to 'give a better stereo' - that's not true, dunno who told you that. You're recording mono takes, because in any song most of the tracks are mono (because you have one source) apart from stuff like stereo drum overheads/room mice, and recording acoustic instruments in stereo. With a heavy/rock guitar sound, you're 99% of the time going to want to record in mono with one mic, or several mono tracks with various mics but the same source, and pan them fairly similarly.

Panning one guitar track hard left and the other hard right, if they come from the same source, will only ever make a centre-panned mono sound, albeit louder (by 3 or 6dB I think), because mono on a stereo system is basically both sides of the stereo field playing the same thing, giving what we call a 'phantom centre'.

All you're doing by recording two takes for 'left and right' is using up twice as much hard drive space


Thanks I didn't actually mean stereo I'm not great at talking for extended periods of time, especially in front of a camera so words get jumbled in my head.

What I used to do when I had POD Farm was using two different layers with different cabs and mics and blended them which in turn led to the Left and Right outputs being slightly different in sound. So instead of recording the guitar twice, I recorded both and layered them so in a way, it did give the impression it was being played twice.

I don't actually do that with the PODxt so I think force of habit has kept me doing it

Quote:
Your computer does seem very slow, maybe that's the main problem, but I can't believe how much latency you seem to be getting when recording just two simultaneous tracks - my '08 iMac could do that on projects with 30-40 other tracks, and not give any noticeable latency (nothing you could hear, obviously there would have been a couple of ms). Have you got your computer and/or Reaper set up properly? What is your buffer rate for Reaper? Having to manually re-allign all your tracks after recording is insane and would drive me mad.


There isn't usually that much latency but I think because I was using Camtasia, recording the PODxt and system sound on that AND recording in Reaper (not to mention the other crap in the background probably), the latency was a hell lot larger.

Also, normally I set the sound options to ASIO so my PODxt does all the stuff. For this video for video recording purposes, I set it so it had just selected the PODxt for recording and my sound card for the output.

Quote:
Instead of using nudge though, and clicking the button to keep moving it across, why not highlight both regions and just drag them into place (and if you zoom in more, you could be much faster and more accurate than the nudge feature is allowing you in that video), if you can't get rid of the latency.


Because in Reaper, it has snap lines which in some cases is useful, but for aligning stuff like this, it doesnt do a great job. There might be an option to turn it off. I'll have a look. Again, I think its just force of habit.

Quote:
As for the end, I won't mention about mixing and mastering because I could go on all day and will bore anybody here, especially as I imagine most users just want to demo guitar recordings, not release any music and learn about audio engineering.


I was only going into the very basics like just recording and what I use more than mastering. I do do that stuff though. I definitely still have a way to go with it all. I haven't really forced myself to learn the really in-depth stuff because I'm not doing it professionally or anything but maybe if I get some time over summer, I'll try and improve!

Quote:
Again though, well done for having the patience to make a video like that and I hope this doesn't come across as belittling the video - I just felt like correcting the few minor inaccuracies to help you further


Thanks! Yeah its cool man, I appreciate it. I'm not used to explaining stuff like this unless its a 1-on-1 with someone so I wasn't expecting it to be great I ended up actually recording it 6 times because the other times kept screwing up with sound or camera dodginess
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #98
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...
 
Cavalcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leony03
Because in Reaper, it has snap lines which in some cases is useful, but for aligning stuff like this, it doesnt do a great job. There might be an option to turn it off. I'll have a look. Again, I think its just force of habit.

Look to see if there's a key you can hold down that makes your DAW ignore the grid. FL Studio has Alt; hold down Alt and drag a clip in the playlist, or a note in the piano roll, and it'll ignore whatever the grid snap is set to. Holding down Shift and using the scroll wheel does more or less the same thing.
__________________
If you're reading this, it means UG still has this, but not a :sam: smiley.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #99
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Fair enough, I think I can let you off for those reasons then Are you panning both tracks of one harmony to one side then, and both of the other harmony to the other? Can't tell from your explanation, but with lead guitars I would usually pan them about 33% left for one harmony part, and the other harmony part about 33% right (Logic Pro doesn't use percentages for panning, but I think Reaper is percentages, right?) so you have the lower harmony slightly to one side, and the higher harmony to the other side - otherwise you'll end up with less separation between the harmony parts, and both sounding somewhere more centralised (which isn't a good thing, especially if there's vocals over the top).

Same applies to rhythm guitars in a rock/metal mix, and probably most modern genres now, albeit you'd pan them hard left and right (100% or so each way) to create the impression of one guitarist on one side, and another on the other side, so keep both tracks of your first take panned one way, and both tracks of your other take panned the other way, based on your technique.


Also, just to show I'm actually going ahead with it this time, instead of signing up in the past and not having time, here's a teaser of what I've done so far (ignore the crappy guide vocals) - Link
__________________

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #100
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist
 
H4T3BR33D3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The laaaaaaand of the rising sun
Sounds friggin awesome
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
I'm not artsy at all. At least not in the visual sense.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy




Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.


Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.