Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
GWADanny

Guitar Lessons

Hi guys

i just wanted to get a feel. Do any of you have guitar lessons as i am 25 and have been playing for 2 years and want to start getting really good. as i think im abit crap atm. can play things slowly but yeah.

to improve dramatically would you recommend taking lessons or just really putting in the hours on my own practicing techniques and songs. i want to join a band in the next couple of years.

i want to be more shedding / solo guitarist and people say you need to learn all the theory first to be good.

what do you guys think ?
GWADanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

A good teacher will adapt to you. What you need to learn while keeping it interesting is their job. A good one is hard to find though.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWADanny
to improve dramatically would you recommend taking lessons or just really putting in the hours on my own practicing techniques and songs.

Both. While a good teacher should obviously teach you direct knowledge, a great teacher will empower you to learn on your own. Also, whether or not you have a teacher, you will need to put in the hours to write your own material. You can be taught techniques for all these things but you have to develop the skills on your own time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
EqualOfHeaven
The Great Sage

If you can find someone who can give you the essential tools you need; scales, chords, that sort of thing, then it's definitly worth while. Worth shelling out if there's someone in your area with a good reputation.

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
EqualOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
BenTunessence

Taking lessons with a good teacher could definitely be helpful.

They can't make you better, but they can give you...
-feedback about things you haven't noticed in your own playing
-information about things you haven't thought about or heard about
-guidance about how to go about learning new stuff on the guitar

Actually getting better has to do with what you do on your own time with this stuff...
-when you practice, keeping an eye on what the teacher has pointed out to you
-digesting and coming up with questions about the new information you've been given
-practicing these new things until they're "in your hands"
-just taking the time to practice! (probably the most important point)
BenTunessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

^ yeah the feedback is the most beneficial thing about a good teacher. You can learn a lot online though, some amazing teachers on youtube.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
GWADanny

Have you guys used teachers or learnt off your own back? As I have looked at the top guitarists didn't have teachers then just spend hours playing and perfecting!!
GWADanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWADanny
Have you guys used teachers or learnt off your own back? As I have looked at the top guitarists didn't have teachers then just spend hours playing and perfecting!!

Just because it worked for some people doesn't mean it works for everyone; find a good teacher if you can afford it because there really is no replacement.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Just because it worked for some people doesn't mean it works for everyone; find a good teacher if you can afford it because there really is no replacement.

I wonder how many of the greats really didn't have a teacher.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo

Off the top of my head I can think of one of the guitarists I consider truly great who never had any formal musical education.

Quote:

Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
sweetdude3000

I think no one learns in a vacuum. Most learning is done off of playing other people's stuff, so essentially no one is really self-taught unless they were thrown a guitar on an island. Back in the day it was probably more social - I bet good ole guitarists sat around with each other and learned from one another communicating via guitar dueling banjos stylee. This site has everything you need but you have to dig. I'd say a good teacher will spot any physical problems you may have or give you the tools to understand what is good sound but please shop around for a good teacher. First 'teacher' I had, I kept on insisting on to him to show me correct technique, but he just gave me a bunch of new scales to practice and incorrectly showed me the modes... I figure he was 'self-taught' by other 'self-taught' players I would say to you to record your playing w/ video and be honest with yourself and listen to see if you are doing things right, as far as technique and sound.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:

Why does it matter?

Besides, do you really think anyone on this board can give you a definitive answer on whether or not someone they don't personally know had guitar lessons. There's a crapload of misquotes and misinformation out there, both on the internet and in print.

What other people may or may not have done has no bearing or influence on your progression on the guitar. One fundamental fact holds true though, having someone with more knowledge and experience of a subject instructing and guiding you is always better than trying to figure it out on your own. That's just not a guitar thing, that applies for ANYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
jovistel

jovi here,

are e-chords a good thing? read about it here e-chords

Thanks
jovistel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
pia98jf

Definitely think you should find a good teacher. They could potentially help you to shave years off the time it will take to get to the standard you want, especially if your aiming for shredder/virtuoso territory...
Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Off the top of my head I can think of one of the guitarists I consider truly great who never had any formal musical education.

Who is that?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Why does it matter?

Besides, do you really think anyone on this board can give you a definitive answer on whether or not someone they don't personally know had guitar lessons. There's a crapload of misquotes and misinformation out there, both on the internet and in print.

What other people may or may not have done has no bearing or influence on your progression on the guitar. One fundamental fact holds true though, having someone with more knowledge and experience of a subject instructing and guiding you is always better than trying to figure it out on your own. That's just not a guitar thing, that applies for ANYTHING.

You missed my intention. There are a fair number of guitarist on here and around the web that are self taught. I even tried to self teach myself. Didn't go so well. My point was to show that even the greats probably had a teacher, and if they needed a teacher, what does that say about the rest of us?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 07-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Who is that?

Oh wait, two: Guthrie Govan and Marty Friedman.

Quote:

Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Oh wait, two: Guthrie Govan and Marty Friedman.

Really? I' pretty sure I've read Govan talk about a teacher.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
fishmike

"self taught" isnt quite what it used to be. Ive never had a formal lesson, but Ive watched a 100 youtube vids on how to play a song, or how to play a barre chord, or to practice a scale.

Back in the day you had to go watch others play to see how they did it, now you can do that on the can with your morning coffee over a smoke. Its just different.

This summer will be 5 years ago I bought my first acoustic. I might be between jobs soon and if I have any kind of time Im really looking forward to taking some lessons. Im quite good at figuring things out myself, but nothing can replace a 2nd set of eyes. Also I look forward to some suggestions.

There is so much video material online if your a self starter its easy to get going. However Im at the point now where I lack direction. I have some good theory and understanding of scales, keys, chord formation etc.. I look forward to a teacher showing me different ways to put together the things I know to improve my playing. Also I know a mentor will challenge me.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Really? I' pretty sure I've read Govan talk about a teacher.

He's been a teacher but he's never had any formal music education. I know he was studying for a degree in English at one point (not sure if he finished it) but I'm 99% sure he's said a few times that he's never had any actual music lessons.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: