Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Jonsoft

Can I ever improve as a guitar player?

Hello guys and girls,

New to this forum just joined tonight. Got something that's been bugging me lately.

I recently got into a bit of an altercation with a drunken stranger who was attacking me and my friend and well no need to bore you with details I punched him to stop him. But by doing so (cause im no Rocky Balboa by any stretch of the imagination) I really busted my knuckles up. I went and got a scan and I had broken my fingers and now my knuckles are like no more (from 1 punch... we got a badass here)

I just wanted to know whether anyone else has broken their hand cause what im worried about is hindering my ability to improve on guitar or not?

Thanks,
Jonsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Tostitos
Got Mead?

This isn't going to sound super helpful, but just talk to your doctor about it and listen to what they have to say. Follow their instructions, let your hand heal, take their advice if they recommend any kind of physical therapy, etc.

Your doctor may not be a guitar player, but he/she will be the one who can best advise and assist you in recovering properly and maintaining maximum functionality in your hand.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
irongoats

I just want to know if you kicked his ass?
irongoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Jonsoft

lol no not really, I punch like a sissy. Thanks Tositos but this was well over a year ago now and I guess I just kinda let it heal but I recently picked up my guitar again cause I wanted to get back into playing. So was just wondering whether breaking a hand creates issues for say getting good at sweeping and other techniques which require your fingers to move quite quickly.
Jonsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
kthxbi
UG Fanatic

i can't help you with the break i'm afraid - i can tel you that my friend got third degree burns all over his left hand (the entire thing got covered with melting plastic which stuck to it and had to be torn off, ripping muscle away too), and he was back and playing very, very quickly once it had eventually healed. i imagine you'll be alright.

also, curbstomp them next time.

FREE SKATERSKAGG1 AND CORYKLOK
kthxbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsoft
lol no not really, I punch like a sissy. Thanks Tositos but this was well over a year ago now and I guess I just kinda let it heal but I recently picked up my guitar again cause I wanted to get back into playing. So was just wondering whether breaking a hand creates issues for say getting good at sweeping and other techniques which require your fingers to move quite quickly.

Again, go and see a doctor.

Nobody here is qualified to give you any advice, personal anecdotes and hearsay are not going to be of any benefit to you however well meaning. Anyone that IS medically qualified wouldn't sugest anything unless they'd been able to examine you and see your medical history.

Doctor. Go and see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
fishmike

when you see a doc ask for PT regimin that puts the emphasis on minimizing scar tissue. I suspect there will be some do it yourself massage tecniques. I have broken both thumbs and both pinkys. The pinkys can only play a few some strings because they are turned inward from being broken and not terribly useful.

you learn to work around it, but scar tissue = swelling = pain and stiffness = miserable to play guitar. Thats the big one to manage
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Blicer

if you want to improve you can, doesn't mean you will be the best player ever, but you can still improve

Rate This Thread: