Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Tdvv

Please critique my voicw

Like I really love singing, so much, and I do it all the time.. But I know I'm not very good at it.. Though I practice a lot, and I really Want to have a career ( I play guitar and tin whistle too), and I write music and lyrics (lyrics are my strongpoint). And my parents won't let me take vocal lessons. And I'm 16, so I have lot of time to get better

Also, what is my vocal type, if you can tell

Tdvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Tdvv

**voice
Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Noninim

Pretty much everything you are doing is wrong, and if you continue to do so you may only hurt yourself.

What you need is a vocal teacher for beginners, or maybe a friend that knows how to sing that can help you. Your pitch is wrong, you donīt breathe correctly, you donīt listen to what you are singing.

You should know a bit music theory and have good control over an instrument before you go the singers path. It maybe sounds harsh but thatīs the way it is..
Noninim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
EqualOfHeaven
The Great Sage

You got the cojones to post a vid of yourself singing, that's a pretty important step I'd say. Although agree with Noninim, some practice or a teacher wouldn't hurt.
But yeah, 16, keep practicing man, plenty of time. Keep training your voice in whatever way you can, and channel the afformentioned cojones into taking it on stage.

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
EqualOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

First things first, Arsenal fan, <3333, and also you're brave

I can't really give any expert advice on your singing, but something that could make a big difference is your song choice. Some peoples voices just naturally aren't cut out for some styles, hell some people just can't sing at all even after trying to learn.

So what I think would be a good start is finding your limits. Probably best by singing your own stuff so you don't try and imitate someone else's voice. Do it alone with nobody in the house so you don't have to worry about people hearing you if that holds you back.

Best of luck.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
ruletheneck
Registered Abuser

pitch is the thing that stands out, yeah. formal training working on intervals and scale movement.
technique and attack and all that other stuff is important too, but i think that first you should start thinking in scales and interval movement - ear training, playing what you hear on guitar and then singing the notes off that could be a big step.

tone: you're singing quietly here - im no singer, but real singing with good tone is loud, ballsy, and tiring. 1:26ish: dont try to make it sound like you're struggling if you aren't. however, your natural tone isnt too bad and i think there is potential here.

voice type: you're probably a baritone (We Are The 80%!) but with some serious hard work and lessons you can expand your range some.

good luck mate!
ruletheneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
20Tigers

I think you can do a lot better right now. You need to know your song lyrics better. It sounds like at times you are waiting to hear the song to know the words so you only sing half the word or line.

You are using too much breath and your voice sounds weak. It's like too much air being pushed through your throat while you are trying to sing. Don't do that it can damage your vocal chords. Your singing should come from your diaphragm.

This isn't the song for you right now because as you try to imitate it you are developing bad singing habits.

If you can't afford vocal lessons or your parents won't help you then you have to show them you are serious. Start with something like this every day...

http://vimeo.com/5593938

Lip Rolls and tongue rolls will help you with the breathing. Remember: every day. After a week start to go through some vocal exercises listed in the vocal exercises thread in this forum or some further exercises that are well explained on youtube or vimeo. If you are unsure at any time or feel itchiness, strain, or pain in your throat then stop and do a different exercise as you do not want to damage your voice.

Record yourself doing a range of songs now. Then in six weeks after doing the vocal warmup and some exercises record yourself doing a range of songs again. You should note some significant improvements.

At that point I would advise you have another talk to your parents and show them that you are serious. Explain that you are doing all you can but there are things that you need professional help with so that you don't damage your voice. Show them the video evidence of your improvement. A few lessons should give you a good direction to continue. At that point you might also look at trying to join a local choir.

Also you look like you are old enough to earn money somehow. If you get pocket money or can do work for your parents to earn money, or if you can get a job then you can use that money to pay for lessons. If it's your money you don't have to get your parents to pay for it.

They are probably not enthusiastic because to be honest based on that song at the moment you don't sound very good. They probably think that singing lessons are only for people that can already sing. But anyone can learn how to sing and I think you will come a long way in a very short time as you seem to have the passion and the willingness to learn, that will get you very far. Based on your speaking voice I also think you have a good timbre to your voice and if developed will sound very good. So go for it man and good luck.

Don't forget to post a new video in six weeks time showing your improvement.

Note you wont be a master in six weeks you will still only be a beginner but you will see enough improvement to be very encouraged. In 12 weeks you will be even better.

The ear training part will take some time. But if you stick at it then in a year people you know will start to think that you are a good singer. A year or two after that and they will think you are a great singer. Then you'll show them this video and it will blow their mind.

Best of luck.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
Tdvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
I think you can do a lot better right now. You need to know your song lyrics better. It sounds like at times you are waiting to hear the song to know the words so you only sing half the word or line.

You are using too much breath and your voice sounds weak. It's like too much air being pushed through your throat while you are trying to sing. Don't do that it can damage your vocal chords. Your singing should come from your diaphragm.

This isn't the song for you right now because as you try to imitate it you are developing bad singing habits.

If you can't afford vocal lessons or your parents won't help you then you have to show them you are serious. Start with something like this every day...

http://vimeo.com/5593938

Lip Rolls and tongue rolls will help you with the breathing. Remember: every day. After a week start to go through some vocal exercises listed in the vocal exercises thread in this forum or some further exercises that are well explained on youtube or vimeo. If you are unsure at any time or feel itchiness, strain, or pain in your throat then stop and do a different exercise as you do not want to damage your voice.

Record yourself doing a range of songs now. Then in six weeks after doing the vocal warmup and some exercises record yourself doing a range of songs again. You should note some significant improvements.

At that point I would advise you have another talk to your parents and show them that you are serious. Explain that you are doing all you can but there are things that you need professional help with so that you don't damage your voice. Show them the video evidence of your improvement. A few lessons should give you a good direction to continue. At that point you might also look at trying to join a local choir.

Also you look like you are old enough to earn money somehow. If you get pocket money or can do work for your parents to earn money, or if you can get a job then you can use that money to pay for lessons. If it's your money you don't have to get your parents to pay for it.

They are probably not enthusiastic because to be honest based on that song at the moment you don't sound very good. They probably think that singing lessons are only for people that can already sing. But anyone can learn how to sing and I think you will come a long way in a very short time as you seem to have the passion and the willingness to learn, that will get you very far. Based on your speaking voice I also think you have a good timbre to your voice and if developed will sound very good. So go for it man and good luck.

Don't forget to post a new video in six weeks time showing your improvement.

Note you wont be a master in six weeks you will still only be a beginner but you will see enough improvement to be very encouraged. In 12 weeks you will be even better.

The ear training part will take some time. But if you stick at it then in a year people you know will start to think that you are a good singer. A year or two after that and they will think you are a great singer. Then you'll show them this video and it will blow their mind.

Best of luck.

That is amazing advice haha, and I will*most likely*do all of that, and I do now that song was not good for me...

This is better, but not like pure euphony from the gods

Rate This Thread: