Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Kafiolet
Blondy Service

Symfolking Metal [GP5, C4C]

Here is a new song of mine. Less metal than my other one, more groovy. Hope you like it, it took time to compose it, but the good thing is that I tried to compose somehting that CAN ACTUALLY BE PLAYED, except some guitar sweepings that may be very hard, i don't really know, I'm not a guitarist

Here we go !

You can also listen to it in really better version here : https://soundcloud.com/jajaxnouf/un...the-moment-midi
Attached Files
File Type: zip Breath of victory.zip (21.6 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by Kafiolet : 07-05-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Kafiolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
xbitmetal

Epic work here, not kidding. Some doublebass might be hard to play aswell. Epic melodies, just like ensiferum or something.
xbitmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Okay, please tell me you're in a Folk Metal band? If not, bloody get in one, you'd be signed by Napalm Records or Spinefarm like that, I truly believe this to be the best piece I've heard on this site, purely because there are no improvements to be made, if you could write more songs like this and had a great band to play them, you'd be ready to tour with the biggest artists in your scene, bands like Ensiferum, Wintersun and Alestorm, that kind of thing. I compose professionally, and there were melodies in here which I wish I'd wrote, I've never felt that for an unsigned artist ever, let alone a guitar pro file hosted on Ultimate Guitar. Just, bloody hell.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

this is incredibly epic man lol i really dont have any complaints other than the orchestration being overpowering. i can barely hear the guitars, or especially the drums
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Okay I don't even what is
It's kind of depressing to know that so many people can write music like this. This is Wintersun-quality stuff.
My only complaint is that there's too much going on in terms of melodies. If you look at similar bands (Wintersun on Time I, Moonsorrow on Kivenkantaja), they can get away with writing long songs with thick orchestral arrangements by only using a few, memorable motifs for the whole song, and developing them through variation. You've got the variations down (counterpoint, harmony), so you're almost there.
For example, "Jaasta Syntynyt/Varjojen Virta" by Moonsorrow only uses four motifs plus a filler riff or two in its entire first half (that's A QUARTER OF AN HOUR). They're just played in different ways to develop them into a song. For a closer example to your style, "Time" only has a handful of melodies until it gets to the bridge, at which point it (only for a bit, though) becomes a Devin Townsend-like free-for-all.
This is an amazing piece of music. Cohesion is the only thing keeping it from being a masterpiece. Get a band, and get a fucking record deal.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
Kafiolet
Blondy Service

@xbitemetal : indeed i forgot the drums, they may also be quite hard (but still easier than some stuff posted here :P)

@CelestialGuitar : I am unfortunately not in a band of that kind, but I'm thinking about funding one in some months. If it doesn't work, I also have some contacts with a lot of musicians who plays different instrument, maybe I'll be able to record it as a collab song.
Thank you very much by the way !

@Pawnlol : yeah, that's what happens when we compose with many instruments :P

@Cavalcade : Haha yeah Wintersun is one of my favorite band, even more since their last album ! I agree with you on the fact I have a little bit too much melodies in this song. Sometimes it can sound like an accumulation of melodies (even if they are quite well connected), while pro bands find the way to make long songs with less melodies. But I think it is also a consequence of the "instrumental" fact : no lyrics, so no chorus nor verse. I should make some though, in case I'd find a singer
Thank you very much for your opinion, that was really pertinent !
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
VíctorG

The intro to this is so damn epic, man. It gives me kind of a Skyrim vibe lol. There isn't much to improve here, I would say nothing, but I'm not an expert on Folk Metal (or any other kind of Metal :P).

Here's my post, feel free to check it out: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...23#post31662123
VíctorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
Kafiolet
Blondy Service

Thank you ! Yeah this kind of music inspires me a lot actually :P

I was thinking a little bit about what Cavalcade said, and, it appears that SOME songs are not totally built around only a few melodies. When you listen to Land of Canaan by Therion, Passion, Proof, Power by Ensiferum, or even the "epic long" songs of Equilibrium like Mana or Kurzes Epos and I am forgetting some, they are built with many different melodies ! But anyway, indeed, a hole album can't be composed only by this kind of songs ... unless it would last too long
Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Funny you should mention those Equilibrium tracks! I have the same opinion on them, too. They're too disjointed to be actual songs, but collections of random epic bits that didn't fit anywhere else. The slow part of "Kurzes Epos" would have made a great song on its own, if they'd built it into a proper song instead of sticking it in between two Monkey Island bits.
And honestly, "Passion Proof Power" was a chore to listen to.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
TheLotus

You're a great writer, but if you don't mind me being so blunt; simply coming up and writing stuff through a computer program kind of takes away from its impressiveness.

But then again, I doubt many people on here actually write their stuff and plug it into GP afterwards.
TheLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLotus
You're a great writer, but if you don't mind me being so blunt; simply coming up and writing stuff through a computer program kind of takes away from its impressiveness.

But then again, I doubt many people on here actually write their stuff and plug it into GP afterwards.

I can't disagree more, the greatest compositions ever written were written on sheet music, what's the difference between writing a song on a score and writing it on Guitar Pro? If I'm honest, I'm unimpressed by people who write songs on guitar, as there hasn't been much thought put into it, just muscle memory.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Kafiolet
Blondy Service

Agreed with CelestialGuitar. Actually, Guitar Pro IS a (digital) score... so there is no difference
And... coming up a 16-track song only by fooling around with one's guitar... Is actually QUITE hard I guess :P

Hehe, "monkey island metal", that would fit Equilibrium for sure
Indeed this part could have made a hole song with some work but still, I really like this idea of ... building a very long song with different melodies but without being incoherent. Sometimes I feel like these songs are a kind of "garbage" in which they would gather all the melodies they didn't use for their other songs during the writing process. Anyway, we don't really mind,
Passion Proof and Power was a chore to listen to for me too, the first time. I even didn't finish listening to it ... but then I tried again and again and... eventually this song is not that bad, especially the end is very interesting, to me.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Ometh
nobody

Quote:

So you're complaining about using GP on a subforum where 99.9% of it's users use GP or a similar program?
The door is that way: close the door on your way out.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

You're saying, for example, Tyr isn't a professional band, TheLotus?

Listen to that backing track. They write with Guitar Pro. So does basically every metal band nowadays, including the ones on major labels. It's interactive sheet music. It is how we write rock music.
And that's what this forum is for. Music that we've written, and want feedback on before we record it.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Kafiolet
Blondy Service

The fact is that nowadays, with genres like djent or technical death metal, it appears that some people are so skilled that they can play nearly everything (to be honest this is also why I keep composing my good old symphonic metal : it is technical, BUT still, most of the guitarists with something like 5-6 years of experience can play it, I am rather sure of it).

And of course, if the composer isn't able to play all the instruments of his composition on his own - which is 99% of the cases :P - he has to accept the edits his bandmates will do to play it. That's called not being a dick

Anyway of course Guitar Pro is a great way to compose music. Composers just have to keep in mind the fact that it is meant to be played
(i see you have some very good tastes, Cavalcade. )
Old 07-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
TheLotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialGuitar
I can't disagree more, the greatest compositions ever written were written on sheet music, what's the difference between writing a song on a score and writing it on Guitar Pro? If I'm honest, I'm unimpressed by people who write songs on guitar, as there hasn't been much thought put into it, just muscle memory.

Sheet music doesn't have playback and play-as-you-edit functionality :p

I'm not down-talking writing in Guitar Pro. I just am not as impressed with someone sitting at a computer as I am with someone who sits, thinks, and plans the music (especially with sheet music). Now that's impressive.

Last edited by TheLotus : 07-22-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
someone who sits, thinks, and plans the music

You mean, like people who use Guitar Pro? Do you think it writes and plans the music for you or something? Or are you just one of those anti-technology musical luddites who think electronica isn't "real music"? I bet you think that too.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
TheLotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
You mean, like people who use Guitar Pro? Do you think it writes and plans the music for you or something? Or are you just one of those anti-technology musical luddites who think electronica isn't "real music"? I bet you think that too.

No, no, and no.

Guitar Pro allows you to write without actually picking up the instrument. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm more or less picking out the people who write beyond their skill.

I don't see why I'm being met with such strong defense, I meant no offense towards anyone, just would like to see more people try it the other way around.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Guitar Pro allows you to write without actually picking up the instrument. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm more or less picking out the people who write beyond their skill.

Well, why didn't you say so, instead of going on a tangent about Guitar Pro, in a forum that's specifically for tabs and chords, and is, in fact, called "Tabs & Chords"? And people can write beyond their skill with Guitar Pro. If you want to hear them play that, though, then what are you doing in T&C?
I don't get what point you're trying to make.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #20
TheLotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Well, why didn't you say so, instead of going on a tangent about Guitar Pro, in a forum that's specifically for tabs and chords, and is, in fact, called "Tabs & Chords"? And people can write beyond their skill with Guitar Pro.

By tangent, do you mean tirade? Eh... no.

I'm not really going to carry on this any more, though, I think the response I received on here has well exceeded what I should have got.

Rate This Thread: