Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
moogle73

Question on an old acoustic guitar

Hi,

First of all I would like to start off by this is my first post on this forum, so forgive me if I am in the wrong location, but I am desperate for some information on this particular guitar.

But back story is My GREAT grandfather passed down a guitar to me (he has since passed away) telling me little to nothing about it other than it was his and he played it many years ago. I have Googled, and searched, and tried to find out as much as I can about this guitar as possible but its all nothing but dead ends so I was hoping someone maybe on a forum could help.

I cant even date the guitar, my best guesstimate from the age of how it looks is somewhere between 40's-60's, it has no internal paper backing or marking, I cant find a serial or other specific identifying mark, only thing on the whole guitar is the "Marathon" written across the head of the guitar.

below are a bunch of basic photos I grabbed of it off my cell phone

so if anyone, has any info, on anything pertaining to this guitar, it will be more knowledge than I know about it now lol.

thanks ahead of time for any and all response, its appreciated.
moogle73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

hmm... a Synchrotone Marathon ! sold out of the Sears & Roebuck catalogue back in the early 50's. they weren't much back then, just a mail order cheap guitar. my uncle had one. it was given to him by his father-in-law. they're like First Act guitars are today. starter guitars for the kids to play with when the lone Ranger tv series wasn't on rotting their poor little brains ! there was even a cameo of one on the movie "toy story".
that has some provenance that money cant buy. she looks a little rough. nice wall art.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
moogle73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
hmm... a Synchrotone Marathon ! sold out of the Sears & Roebuck catalogue back in the early 50's. they weren't much back then, just a mail order cheap guitar. my uncle had one. it was given to him by his father-in-law. they're like First Act guitars are today. starter guitars for the kids to play with when the lone Ranger tv series wasn't on rotting their poor little brains ! there was even a cameo of one on the movie "toy story".
that has some provenance that money cant buy. she looks a little rough. nice wall art.

Thank you so much! for the reply, you are literally the first person to know anything about / give me any further information on the guitar and It is greatly appreciated.

thanks!
moogle73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
stepchildusmc

if you go into the parent company "Kay" you'll find a lot more. the synchrotone was supposed to be the electric guitar but QC was so bad at whatever company made them, "synchrotone" was printed on the headstocks of half of the acoustics as well.
there were a lot of companies that made "cowboy" guitars back then. america was infatuated with the open range ideal back then. you couldn't go anywhere without some bumbadeeda reference.

Rate This Thread: