Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Asmithe
UG Newbie
 
Asmithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Why are there no tabs anymore?

So far 95% of the tabs ive attempted to view, were removed. What the heck is going on?
Asmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Swarm311
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
J-lawers or because it was a lot of work, plus you could get sued.
Swarm311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Asmithe
UG Newbie
 
Asmithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm311
J-lawers or because it was a lot of work, plus you could get sued.

By god that is ridiculous! I dont see how with such a big audience that tablature has, how this is making it this far. We can't even cover songs legally wtf?
Asmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
AustinG013
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
the way i see it, whats the point in having all these websites to post tabs at that you tabbed BY EAR if they're just gonna get taken down anyways?
AustinG013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
irongoats
Registered User
 
irongoats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
I haven't seen any tabs removed that I search which is usually classic rock/metal category. What genre are you looking for that got wiped out?
irongoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Marrowoflife
Registered User
 
Marrowoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco
rip OLGA
That's why I started looking here
Marrowoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Asmithe
UG Newbie
 
Asmithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongoats
I haven't seen any tabs removed that I search which is usually classic rock/metal category. What genre are you looking for that got wiped out?

Metallica, Testament, and Rage Against The Machine

Soon enough we will have to "pirate tablature". That sounds stupid, but its got to be true seeing soooo many songs removed already.
Asmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
AustinG013
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmithe
Metallica, Testament, and Rage Against The Machine

Soon enough we will have to "pirate tablature". That sounds stupid, but its got to be true seeing soooo many songs removed already.

or we'll have to treat sharing tabs like buying weed or cocaine... lol
AustinG013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Gorgomoth
Registered User
 
Gorgomoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmithe
Metallica, Testament, and Rage Against The Machine

Soon enough we will have to "pirate tablature". That sounds stupid, but its got to be true seeing soooo many songs removed already.


No Dethklok tabs either, or Chinese Democracy. I've heard some people are downloading the .pdfs of the tab books off of various torrent sites.
Gorgomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
P_Trik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Shortly after mysongbook.com got shut down, a download appeared on the net with about 20,000 gpro files in a zip, their complete archive. I saved it and still search through it when I can't find an old song on here. Would be very cool if some mod/admin from here backed up the site archives the same way, including all the 'banned' tabs. Just sayin
P_Trik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...
 
Cavalcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I'm not seeing anything missing in the stuff I usually play, and I checked Testament and Metallica and most of their stuff seems to be there. 95%, you said? Well, sucks to be you.

Now, let me drop some hot, steaming copyright law on y'all suckas. When a record is released, the rights to it are usually shared between the band and their label, as per a contract. Those rights include distributing tabs, and any kind of transcription! Tabs are copyrightable intellectual property, after all, like audio recordings. To keep running at all without being ass-deep in lawyers, Ultimate Guitar pays licensing fees to a group that takes care of all the royalty issues for them. The labels have UG by the balls as it is. That's just how it is.

Now, if a label wants a tab taken off UG, there's not much UG can do. Labels own the rights. UG pays to borrow them. The labels are well within their rights to go "can't let you do that, UG!" (or "I'm sorry, UG, I can't let you do that" if you prefer), and tell them to pull a tab. As you can see from the very generous number of tabs that are still here, they only do this for a handful of bands. Most of the time, so they can release a tab book or something, and charge guitarists (that can't just play by ear) for the tabs that gracious people on the internet with a lot of free time give them for free.

Yeah, it sucks. Yeah, it always comes back to "labels are evil". So? What you gonna do?

This message does not, in any way, reflect the Ultimate Guitar team's stance on anything, this is just me. I did my homework on this, though.
__________________
If you're reading this, it means UG still has this, but not a :sam: smiley.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 07-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
rageahol
Registered User
 
rageahol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Surely you could have something like false timing and not mentioning the song/band, as well as claiming it is a tab for a different instrument? That way it technically wouldn't be the band's/label's copyright. It might confuse a lot of noobs though.
rageahol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...
 
Cavalcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageahol
Surely you could have something like false timing and not mentioning the song/band, as well as claiming it is a tab for a different instrument? That way it technically wouldn't be the band's/label's copyright. It might confuse a lot of noobs though.

Haha, no. Sabotaging the tab doesn't matter if the intent is there, and lying about the band and/or song is just an incredibly stupid idea, not to mention it would only make you look (even more) like an ass in court.
__________________
If you're reading this, it means UG still has this, but not a :sam: smiley.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
Briandb1222
Registered User
 
Briandb1222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
The way I see it, tab and what not is just another way to connect to the aforementioned artist. I could see a problem if someone transcribing the music to tab was trying to claim it as his own work, but if credit is given as to who has the rights, etc, why should it be a problem? It just seems to me, trying to keep people from learning how to play a popular song could indeed limit an audience. It may be in the future if we want to learn a popular song we'd have to learn to transcribe our selves. Or create a software that could discern instruments and record a proper tab out of it, etc. And especially, that knowledge that we know how to play a given song would just have to remain to our selves to avoid legal issues. Perhaps it's a label's way to try and keep some schmuck off the street from writing a different version to a song and end up taking the heat away from that label. I don't know.
Briandb1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #15
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...
 
Cavalcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Distributing tabs = distributing the music. The music is copyrighted. Whoever has the copyright decides who gets to do what with the music. It's not brain surgery.
__________________
If you're reading this, it means UG still has this, but not a :sam: smiley.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
Briandb1222
Registered User
 
Briandb1222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Legally, sure, but technically, it isn't the same since most tabs are not dead acccurate as to what is being played.
Briandb1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...
 
Cavalcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Okay, so instead of being 100% breach of copyright, it's more like 95%. I'm sure an argument like that would hold up great in court. It's the INTENT that matters. Think, people.
__________________
If you're reading this, it means UG still has this, but not a :sam: smiley.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
AcousticMetal99
A walking oxymoron
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Cavalcade, your argument really doesn't hold.
This is not a case of copyright infringement, unless the uploader went and looked in a published, certified book or other document and copied that in directly. The fact of the matter is, these tabs are what people ~think~ the music is - yes, on many songs they may be correct. However, the ability to figure out music is not an offence, and besides that they may have inaccuracies. So now we come to sharing what they think the music is - there's still nothing wrong with that, in the same way as you can quote sections of a book or article in anything else, provided you reference it, and IT IS NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE. That is the important bit - I doubt many of the people on UG are professionals who use tabs by others to make a living. Do you also wish to complain about any Battle of the Bands competition or tribute acts? Surely they are far more likely to be in breach of copyright?

Another example is the way that you can buy a CD or digital download, and play it when friends come round - are you going to say that it's illegal for them to hear it because they didn't purchase it? Well what if those friends are musically talented and happen to transcribe the music by ear themselves so they can play it, because they like it? Is that then an offence?

I should also point out that sites like UG, by allowing many people to learn some version of a song, most likely increases the number of people listening to those bands, because they learn and play those songs to people they (may or may not) know, who could then decide to listen to the band.

Anyway, rant over. I personally haven't noticed any tabs being removed?
AcousticMetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
ruker
the iconflict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Isn't it only GP/PT tabs being taken down anyways?

UG claims while some tabs get taken down, they work to get others back up. So it sounds like whatever contract/agreement they had with whichever publisher, has ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG013
the way i see it, whats the point in having all these websites to post tabs at that you tabbed BY EAR if they're just gonna get taken down anyways?


I had 2 tabs taken down (both Sublime) so far. It sucks, but tabbing is too much fun for me to stop just because a couple of tabs got removed. I mostly tab lesser known artists anyways.
ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
 
Deliriumbassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Presidential Palace
Tabs being taken down occur on a jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction basis. So while you may not see a tab, someone in another country will, so keep tabbing. Plus, as UG works towards sorting out currently blocked tabs, hopefully more and more become available. UG is just working through the legal obstacle course, which, considering how many countries, record labels and distributors there are, it unfortunately takes a while.
__________________
YES! YES! YES!

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.