Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
nicktao

Gibson Les Paul Exposed to Cold - Cracked Finish

Hey I've got a Gibson lp that was exposed to cold a while back and a few cracks have formed through the clear coat, is there anything I can do to fix it. how much will it cost if I take it to a luthier?

Last edited by nicktao : 07-07-2013 at 10:46 PM.
nicktao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Congratulations. You now own a relic. Lots of people pay to have that done or do it purposefully.

There's not much that can be done except having it refinished which will cost in the hundreds of whatever your currency is. Take a picture from further away, it could look pretty cool.

What model is it?

Last edited by Mephaphil : 07-07-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Ippon
Amped

StewMac swirl remover (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishi..._Compounds.html) may or may not remove it.

You can also try 3M Finesse It II or any silicone-free used for polishing cars may work.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

That's a crack in the finish though, I haven't used those products but those cracks are generally beyond polishing out.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
nicktao

It's a LP Studio Silverburst.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Okay. The colour is an important piece of information .

Again, beyond a refinish I don't think there's much you can do. If you treat a nitro finished guitar in this way and leave it in the cold, this will happen.

Take it to a luthier if you want, they might have something else to say. Show us how it looks with a zoomed out picture.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 07-07-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
nicktao

Thing is the camera doesn't capture the cracks at all, flash / no flash, it doesn't really matter, still can't see anything. I can't even feel the crack so it's under the clear.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

If it's a pure nitro finish, you could have it reflowed. As already mentioned, you could have the guitar refinished. Not sure if Gibson offers a repair service like Taylor and others do. Personally, I'd consider it a lesson learned and play it as-is.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

It's not pure nitro, it's nitro over thick layers of poly. Your options are either a refinish or to just leave it.

It adds character.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 07-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
lemurflames
Ronnie

It sucks, but leave it. You'll be paying a lot of money to have it fixed. It's something that may happen again.

Those cracks tell a story in that guitar's life. It has lived and it has the scars to show it.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
It's not pure nitro, it's nitro over thick layers of poly. Your options are either a refinish or to just leave it.

It adds character.

Yeah, that could effect the options. Either way, it's going to be an expensive repair. I agree... it adds character. Just look at all those 1960s Gibson ES-335s with the heavy checking. It adds character and $$$$$$$.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Those guitars were thinner nitro, they didn't use poly.

It'll take a lot longer to get that kind of effect. I'm not sure if the silver burst finish is the same kind of thing as a honeyburst at all.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
nicktao

I wasn't really looking into keeping the guitar, I'm into more super strat types like JPs and Mayones now. :

Last edited by nicktao : 07-07-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
jpnyc

All Gibson Les Pauls have a nitro finish. So Les Paul buyers tend not to be too picky about a little finish checking.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
It's not pure nitro, it's nitro over thick layers of poly.

Highly unlikely. Not sure where you get that.
Some Fenders are done that way, but no Gibsons that I'm aware of.

Checking is a recurring problem with nitrocellulose lacquer. It's susceptible to problems due to temperature, humidity, liquids, some chemicals and some materials. Most guitar manufacturers have long since switched to various polyurethane and polyester-type finishes, but Gibson bases most of its sales on traditionalism, and its customer base expects nitrocellulose lacquer. You'll find that many older Gibsions have checked, cracked, chipped and otherwise show finish deterioration, but Gibson sees this material as a way to differentiate itself from other manufacturers and continues to use it.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
DoubleBassCrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktao
I wasn't really looking into keeping the guitar

You may be stuck with it now, unless someone wants a Gibson LP that they want to relic, but they're going to be looking for a "bargain" now. Kind of hard to flip the guitar either way, in its current form they're going to want to bring you down on the price, & I'm sure the refinish will devalue it... but there are people out there that will buy it as is for what you may sell it for, it just may take longer to move it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Not sure if Gibson offers a repair service

They do, it'd cost more than getting it done professionally by someone local. Gibson Repair and Restoration
DoubleBassCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
dkunick
Waco

Got a custom shop hot rod '62 strat for Xmas in Utah a couple years ago, it was cracked like that right out of the box/case. Found the neck thicker than I liked so I sent it back and picked up another guitar locally instead. I agree with most other posts, it adds character/scars. All my guitars have their scars. Doesn't make them sound or play any different. If you're looking to resell, you may need to knock down the price some if the buyer is finicky about the finish, but it wouldn't pay to have it fixed; at the end of the day you'll never get the money back.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
nicktao

Yeah, I bought it new from GC a few years ago in that condition. Gibson took it, told me it was normal and shipped it back.

I really dug the feel so I kept it, but now that my tastes have changed, I don't know anyone who's willing to buy it now.

What do you guys think the price should be? I bought it new less than 3 years ago for ~1,400. Stupid, I know, but I was young and foolish.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Robbgnarly

It is a LP studio, those sell for $500-$800ish typically used. I sold mine for $400 a few yrs ago just to get rid of it
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
HomerSGR
What?

That happens to most nitro-finished guitars. It called checkering, and is caused by the guitar contracting or expanding faster than the finish in a temperature or humidity change, thus causing the finish to get hairline cracks. It's perfectly normal.

A re-finish would hurt the value much, much more than selling a guitar with an original but checkered finish.

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

*How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: