Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
skatooter

Road to no Town (C4C)

Hey guys

Just wrote a little funky riff, turned it in to a song and got it roughly recorded today, let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/neil-keegan/road-to-no-town

Thanks.

Last edited by skatooter : 07-12-2013 at 11:45 AM.
skatooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
ryan19

thanks for the crit ! very laidback tune. the guitar is very different, serves the music . good job!
ryan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
XF2
XF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatooter
Hey guys

Just wrote a little funky riff, turned it in to a song and got it roughly recorded today, let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/neil-keegan/road-to-no-town

Thanks.

Wow !!! Talk about katchin someone off guard....I actually went back and listened to it for a second time just to get back on the train to koolio deluxeville .....Talk about laid back....It reminds me of like some dreamy, late night bar-room early pink Floyd valium thingy thinger .....Definatly a good THANG except I'm wondering if yer not lyrically perhaps pushing the bell curve a bit off the edge...I'm kinda scratchin my head tryin to figure out if its the song or if it you (tee-hee) ....again in a good way.....Yer style is so unique that I be needin to hear a few more songs of yers to bring it all into focus.....The percussion pretends to be a trainwreck and yet somehow they work...Yer lyrics don't fit and yet they do....The song is hallucinogenic and yet I don't get the impression yer a druggy....Kind of an anachronism of sorts...Definatly unique ...Good job....P.S. Too much reverb is always a bad thing....Very distractive on the percussion....STOP
XF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
skatooter

Cheers Ryan!

Thanks XF2, will definitely take on board what you said, I never know when there is too much reverb lol.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
aaron aardvark

skatooter,
Guitar playing is nice, with occasional unexpected quirks/surprises. The simple drum/rim shot/percussion part works nicely, I like the reverb. Singing & vocal melodies are good. This song sounds somewhat 60's to me: fine by me. To my ears, I think this is the best song/recording I remember you guys doing. Rather nice overall. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1609249

By the way, the second guy from the left looks like a young Roger Daltry to me; I'm going to see him in concert next month for the first time.

Last edited by aaron aardvark : 07-14-2013 at 04:51 PM.
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
skatooter

Cheers for the review aaron, I do have a band but all the music on that soundcloud page is just me lol.

Here's my band if you fancy a listen. http://www.reverbnation.com/thievesuk
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
aaron aardvark

skatooter,
So which person is you in the band photo avatar? What do you do/play in the band? I gave a listen to your band songs, I think I liked "Brother Lost" best (nice).
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
skatooter

I've changed it now lol, I'm the shiny head bald guy. I play guitar.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
Toadvine
Obviously, not a golfer

Very cool riffing the guitars sound great.

I would suggest not using so much of a vocal overdub. I think it would carry a lot more weight if it only came in once in a while, but this is very cool. I'm going to listen again. . .
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
skatooter

Thanks very much Toadvine! it's just one guitar by the way lol.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
knitest1ck

I really like the vibe on this song. The flow on the lyrics is pretty impeccable. I think it would be improved by putting some higher chords in it though. if you want to crit me back i have one song on my profile, thanks!
knitest1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Guitar Hack

Nicely done. Like the intro and the lyrics. Could use some percussion but I know that is hard to do and even harder to to well. Nice job.

Would you take a look at The Dance?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1609172
Guitar Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
GuitarGuy2387
One Funky Monk

Ah this is nice. I agree I think it could use some very light percussion but still real chill. Your phrasing is "off" or you just need to work on some of the flow of the words in some parts. Harmonies are nice.
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
GuitarGuy2387 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: