Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
evolucian

Now do we have the four bar idea that everyone can use yet? Or was that just a stab in the dark in the hope that someone else would do it, Duane?
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
I don't any problem here, you can take one idea and interpret in any idiom you want, it again depends on the skill of the composer. As things are now, I'm out.

Well, what four bars do you suggest?

I would feel restricted using four bars of music I'd probably find dull. I don't think everybody using the same idea would lead to a better understanding of composition at the end of the challenge and I think it would turn it into to much of a competition anyway.

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix
Duaneclapdrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Let's use the melody of the first 4 bars of a piece.
Let's use this piece:
show

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read the thread all the way through I just kind of jumped in here. We're not doing the four bar melody thing right?

Last edited by macashmack : 07-10-2013 at 10:53 AM.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

^I like the cut of your jib.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
Duaneclapdrix

Well if everybody really wants to use the same four bars then why not? I'll do my own thing and try to use the chosen four bars as well.

Soundcloud
Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

We're probably not all going to agree on the same four bars from an existing piece. What could potentially be interesting is if we all took a pre-existing piece of our own choosing and worked out a new piece beginning with the first four bars. This has the advantage that everyone only has to write one piece, and we don't have to through the process of trying to agree on an opening for everyone to work from.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
evolucian

ok cool... only the melody though right? The harmony being up to us?

Unless someone with big balls takes charge and says "This is what we're using .... now stfu and get to it"... or something like that

Last edited by evolucian : 07-10-2013 at 12:24 PM.
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Duaneclapdrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
We're probably not all going to agree on the same four bars from an existing piece. What could potentially be interesting is if we all took a pre-existing piece of our own choosing and worked out a new piece beginning with the first four bars. This has the advantage that everyone only has to write one piece, and we don't have to through the process of trying to agree on an opening for everyone to work from.

This is what I wanted to do from the beginning. People seemed to want to use the same four bars though, so I figure I'll let the unwashed masses duke it out and decide on the four bars while I'm busy composing. It seems like you could write your own four bars just as easy as having them chosen for you, the exercise would stay the same. If someone wants to choose them then go a head, I'd rather just write my own. It seems like this has gotten far more complicated than it needs to be.

Soundcloud
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #29
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Hurry up and choose something

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
Michele_R

I don't think to have the skills to take part in this, but I really think you should use the same 4 bars to begin with...it would be so much more intresting.
Also, if you don't like them, it will just be more intresting to see how you turn it into something you like after that first 4 bars.

Just my opinion of course...
Michele_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #31
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Would be more interesting if it was the same idea for everybody...

Can you extend this to at least Aug 15?

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #32
Duaneclapdrix

We can extend the deadline.

My main problem with using the same four bars is I wouldn't know how to go about choosing them, coupled with the problem of getting everybody to agree with the decision, like Neitsche said.

I seem to remember in "Theory of Harmony" Schonburg talking about how it was silly for students to take a melody by another composer and re-harmonize it, because when the composer wrote the melody, he conceived it with the harmony. Schonburg then elaborated for a couple of more pages full of run on sentences/paragraph combos as he liked to do, so it might be funny to use the shonburg peice. The melody seems like it could be problematic for some people though... And we've come full circle. It seems like it'd just be easier for everyone to write their own pieces.

Soundcloud

Last edited by Duaneclapdrix : 07-10-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #33
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

I would join if I got to use a melody that was already written. I haven't had much composition experience recently, but I could come up with something off of 4-bars of melody.

I think it's an interesting exercise to take another composer's melody and re-write the harmony. It allows you to view it from different harmonic backgrounds and play with weird harmonies to completely change a piece.

I personally don't have a problem with ANY melody given to me It's not like it'll sound how it was written originally anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #34
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

b5 is back? da fuq?

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #35
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
b5 is back? da fuq?

I hang out in other parts of UG I got tired of the same questions and just kinda... popped myself away!

Nice to see most of the regs are still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #36
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaneclapdrix
I seem to remember in "Theory of Harmony" Schonburg talking about how it was silly for students to take a melody by another composer and re-harmonize it, because when the composer wrote the melody, he conceived it with the harmony. Schonburg then elaborated for a couple of more pages full of run on sentences/paragraph combos as he liked to do, so it might be funny to use the shonburg peice. The melody seems like it could be problematic for some people though... And we've come full circle. It seems like it'd just be easier for everyone to write their own pieces.

If someone can't handle a simple melody, that's their own shortcoming and this alone should be pretty revealing.

My New Workstation
Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #37
Duaneclapdrix

I was kind of poking fun at how highly Mr. Schonburg valued his opinions on music despite the fact the some of them were a bit silly. I always thought that particular tidbit I read was odd because many composers have done variations and used well know folk melodies. I might be remembering it wrong. It's been a while since I read Theory of Harmony.

Lets use the Schonburg piece as our first four bars then. It's decided. Unless anyone objects. Keep in mind that you would still have to write two pieces based off of those four bars. The challenge isn't about all of us writing one piece each based off of the same material, it's about you, the individual, writing two different pieces based of the same material. Otherwise you're just writing a piece as usual. Which is why I thought it was odd that everyone seemed so hung up on the beginning of the pieces, when it's about what happens after the beginning.

Since the challenge requires you to write two pieces based off of the same idea I also thought people would be more likely to complete it if they were personally invested in the idea. You're going to be spending over a month of you life with it, you'd better like it.

If you get that done you can also do your own piece as well.

Soundcloud

Last edited by Duaneclapdrix : 07-11-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #38
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Wait...I completely missed this 2 piece thing. Why do we need 2 pieces??

edit: I just saw the Schoenberg line you guys are referring to...are you sure you want to use that? That is.....pretty ambitious.....

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 07-11-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #39
Duaneclapdrix

The point was to write a piece of music. Then write another piece of music using the same idea or beginning and to take it in an entirely different direction in a way that made just as much musical sense as the first piece, so as to practice seeing all the musical ideas contained within a phrase or concept you came up with. That's why I wanted people to write their own pieces, or use a piece they'd already written.

I have to go to bed. Got a dentist appointment in the morning. I'll try to clarify more tomorrow.

EDIT: I was kidding about the Schonburg. I decided to give the people what they wanted, four bars of music. They asked for it...

Soundcloud

Last edited by Duaneclapdrix : 07-11-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #40
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

So like cyclical motif...

I guess that has merit but can I stick with 1 piece? I won't have time for 2 and I'd like to try "making the most of it" in that one piece.

If you want to make it more challenging try a 2 or even 1 bar idea instead of 4. Sometimes it's even just one little figure!!:

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 07-11-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Rate This Thread: