User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #61
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
Xiaoxi, how long would it take to create a semi-decent sounding mockup of a score if I sent you the MIDI file? No worries if you wouldn't have time/want to do it, would just be nice to hear my music not with sibelius sounds

Anything is possible if money is involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaneclapdrix
Sorry to everyone who didn't procrastinate and finished on time.

no need to apologize to nonexistent persons
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 08-15-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #62
batfink84

I think I need a guitar teacher, I'm not getting this jazz at school
batfink84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #63
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

So who's actually started writing anything?

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #64
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Well my first piece was just a simple waltz. Now I'm trying to do me some theme and variations and I've finished three variations. Getting a bit Diabelli in here if you know what I'm sayin'

No but really the theme and variations so far is equally as trivial as the Waltz ;_;
Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #65
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Here's what I got so far. I won't finish on time but it's a good motivator to do something substantial again:

http://soundcloud.com/xiaoxiwan/sketch-work-in-progress

Old 08-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #66
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...

I'm aiming for 3 pieces. One of them is a less crappy version of my piece from the last challenge and the other two are for this challenge. If I have time I also have the beginning of something using that Schonburg theme from earlier. The part with the theme only uses V-Is because I thought it'd be funny. Then it gets more interesting. I don't believe any of the prices I've written use V-Is now that I think about it. I wanted to see if I could write a piece without using any functional harmonic staples.

I think I want to start getting more functional though because of the jazz course I've been taking. The only song that wasn't awful to improvise over was "what is this thing called love?" Because its nearly all ii-Vs. I had to improv over "500 miles high" by Chick Corea and it was awful. A bunch of chords that didn't do anything. Dilly dallying about. Ugh.

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix

Last edited by Duaneclapdrix : 08-17-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Duaneclapdrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #67
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Still writing my first piece, not sure if I'm going to be able to get 2 done by the deadline lol.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #68
Duaneclapdrix

Well, all I have left to do is finish two and write one. So...same as a week ago. Maybe we could post the first piece this weekend and the second one the next?

Soundcloud
Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #69
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Going on holiday for two weeks tomorrow, so here are my pieces. Am going to record the Waltz, gimme a sec and I'll post a link.

EDIT:

Turns out you can't get anywhere near a decent sound recording a piano with a webcam mic >.<
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Theme_and_Variations_in_A_(MT_Challenge).pdf (45.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf Waltz_in_A_(MT_Challenge).pdf (28.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: mid Theme_and_Variations_in_A_(MT_Challenge).mid (2.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: mid Waltz_in_A_(MT_Challenge).mid (2.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Nietsche : 08-24-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #70
Duaneclapdrix

Sometimes if feel like this:
show

But most of the time I feel like this:
show

Soundcloud
Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #71
Duaneclapdrix

Here we go.

Piece from last challenge:http://musescore.com/user/21980/scores/37506

And a new version for this challenge:https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix/a-maj-5-4-14-v3

I'll try to have the next two done for next weekend. I'm mostly finished with the first version.

It might be fun or beneficial if we posted what we thought of our pieces in terms of what our goals were when we were composing them.

Things I think I improved on:
  • The transition into the B section/general coherence.
  • The transition back to the A.

Things I don't like:
  • The beginning is to repetitive. I should have tweaked it but I was focused on other things I guess
  • The B section can feel odd beatwise depending on how you feel it. 12/8 vs still in 4. I wasn't sure if should mess with it or not. I have a version where m 12 is 11/8 which seemed fix the "problem" to my ears.
  • The transition back to the A section isn't terrible but it could be better.
  • I'm not sure my A' was succefull as a variation. I was trying to combine the 8ths with the longer pentatonic bits.
  • The ending was thrown together today. It could have used a bit more polish.

Both of the times I forced myself to write endings for these, I got more ideas for what I could have done. The first time I realized that the ending I wrote would have worked better as a transition to the B section, which is why I wrote the second version and made the challenge. In the second piece I realized all of the cool rhythmic displacement shenanigans I could have got up to. I kind of feel the ending I wrote wanted to go on (so not the best ending then) and I kind of made it quiet down. I want to do something with the F#-Eb-Eb-C#-C# thing that started at the end. I think it could have gone somewhere cool. Next time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A maj 5 4 14 3.pdf (40.9 KB, 14 views)

Soundcloud

Last edited by Duaneclapdrix : 08-25-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #72
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
Going on holiday for two weeks tomorrow, so here are my pieces. Am going to record the Waltz, gimme a sec and I'll post a link.

You're getting the hang of creating a clear melody but there is a lot more work needed. There's not a great sense of voiceleading and a lot of it has counterpoint issues. You should also explore more interesting textures. Straight quarter notes all the way through for everything gets tiring fast. The theme / variation had some nice starting potentials but the problem again is "sameness". Once an initial texture is established, there's nothing to change and explore with. I'd like to see you raising the standards for yourself next time.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #73
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:
And a new version for this challenge:https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix/a-maj-5-4-14-v3

This is a great start. But I feel that in its current state it is merely a sketch and there's so much more potential within what you've established here.

The one contention I've had with this challenge is the way in which we're trying to "make the most with what you have" does not really address the goal of the challenge. I believe the true test lies in how much you can expand on the ideas within the same piece, not taking it and creating a bunch of separate and equally underdeveloped variations.

That's what the piece says to me...that ultimately neither theme A nor B is given enough time to flourish and I'd much rather hear these 2 presented in their full capacity.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #74
GoldenGuitar

Quote:

EDIT:

Turns out you can't get anywhere near a decent sound recording a piano with a webcam mic >.<

Dude, you spent like 10 minutes on these didn't you? And are we suppose to write within the common practice era tradition for this? Or are we allowed to write whatever we want as long as we follow the rules of the competition?

Last edited by GoldenGuitar : 08-26-2013 at 03:39 AM.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #75
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Here's what I got so far. I won't finish on time but it's a good motivator to do something substantial again:

http://soundcloud.com/xiaoxiwan/sketch-work-in-progress

Sounds good, some bits remind me of Brahms' Intermezzo in Bb minor.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #76
Duaneclapdrix

Quote:
This is a great start. But I feel that in its current state it is merely a sketch and there's so much more potential within what you've established here.

The one contention I've had with this challenge is the way in which we're trying to "make the most with what you have" does not really address the goal of the challenge. I believe the true test lies in how much you can expand on the ideas within the same piece, not taking it and creating a bunch of separate and equally underdeveloped variations.

That's what the piece says to me...that ultimately neither theme A nor B is given enough time to flourish and I'd much rather hear these 2 presented in their full capacity.

I completely agree. The piece I'm finishing for next week has about three ideas. When I was fiddling with it this morning I realized I kind of just presented them and didn't really flesh them out. I think it's because I've had this mindset of "practice the forms, keep them short and move on" and I don't know why now that I think about it. I suppose I never thought about writing a longer piece. Probably because I think I still have a beginners mindset of "I'll write a proper piece once I'm better" which is a bit self defeating I suppose. I should practice writing a good short piece that doesn't sound like a sketch as well as a longer piece that has more fleshed out ideas. I don't think I'll be able to fix up next weeks in time and it suffers from "sketch syndrome" even more than these do but I'll post em anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
And are we supposed to write within the common practice era tradition for this? Or are we allowed to write whatever we want as long as we follow the rules of the competition?

Whatever style of music pleases you. I'm certainly not quite in the common practice period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
Dude, you spent like 10 minutes on these didn't you?

Now, now. This could be taken the wrong way. Let's have none of that. Neitsche is on vacation at the moment and I don't know if he has access to the internet so you could remove it before he gets back. It certainly doesn't add anything to the thread.

Soundcloud

Last edited by Duaneclapdrix : 08-26-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #77
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
You're getting the hang of creating a clear melody but there is a lot more work needed. There's not a great sense of voiceleading and a lot of it has counterpoint issues. You should also explore more interesting textures. Straight quarter notes all the way through for everything gets tiring fast. The theme / variation had some nice starting potentials but the problem again is "sameness". Once an initial texture is established, there's nothing to change and explore with. I'd like to see you raising the standards for yourself next time.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my beginner fiddlings and diddlings

I wonder what advice you have with regards to getting better at voice-leading and counterpoint. I've done/am still doing academic-style chorale writing and species counterpoint but then I look at actual chorales by Bach and Motets by Palestrina and fall on my knees and weep at my inadequacy ;_;

Quote:
Now, now. This could be taken the wrong way. Let's have none of that. Neitsche is on vacation at the moment and I don't know if he has access to the internet so you could remove it before he gets back.

Foreign countries still have the internet apparently even though it's shitty and slow.

GoldenGuitar can leave his comment up, it doesn't upset me
Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #78
Duaneclapdrix

I'm from Ohio so I just assumed when you said you were going on vacation or "holiday" that you meant camping out in the wilderness lol. I forgot people go places besides the middle of nowhere for vacation. Some campsites have wifi but I always try to stay off because if you don't then you suck at camping.

Soundcloud
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #79
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
GoldenGuitar can leave his comment up, it doesn't upset me

Just letting you know I wasn't saying it as an insult. It was just instinct, but I could be completely wrong.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #80
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:
I completely agree. The piece I'm finishing for next week has about three ideas. When I was fiddling with it this morning I realized I kind of just presented them and didn't really flesh them out. I think it's because I've had this mindset of "practice the forms, keep them short and move on"
Form for the sake of form doesn't really say much. Form supports what you want to express in an organized way, that's all. So to just do enough to satisfy the basic definition of a form is a little defeating of the purpose. You should strive to make the best music you can in a way that's musically satisfying and "complete", not to fill a mechanics of theory.

Quote:
and I don't know why now that I think about it. I suppose I never thought about writing a longer piece. Probably because I think I still have a beginners mindset of "I'll write a proper piece once I'm better" which is a bit self defeating I suppose.
Regardless of length, the music should be as musical as you can possibly make it to the best of your ability.

Rate This Thread: