karimbaig

Guide on electric guitar please

Budget : 450$ max for guitar
Favorite Artists : David Gilmour, Slash, Steve Vai, Jimmy Page etc
Preferences : personally I like les pauls but they don't have trems
Pickups : I don't have much idea about them
New or Used : New, anything from thomann's
Current Gear : Yamaha F310

I'm looking into The Tribute Plus model by Epiphone and a used mint condition Fender American Stratocaster 1996.
Any suggestion would be helpful.

The used fender is costing me almost same as new tribute plus + shipment + custom duty and other taxes.
karimbaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
johnnykbop

Have you taken a look at Ibanez RGs yet? There's a few options within your budget and it's pretty much THE Steve Vai guitar minus a superfluous monkey grip.
johnnykbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
karimbaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykbop
Have you taken a look at Ibanez RGs yet? There's a few options within your budget and it's pretty much THE Steve Vai guitar minus a superfluous monkey grip.

I did. Those are nice guitars but I don't like the whole long string changing process and I heard it from people that the mid range ibanez have tuning problems if tremolo used
karimbaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
0Strings

There's not too much in that range that you could get, but I would recommend having a browse on musiciansfriend.com.
I think an Epiphone would generally be better for you, and has quite the rich sound when pumping out.
If you're on a budget, maybe a second hand is something to look for for you(musiciansfriend carries both new and used anyway!)
But I personally like to buy guitars new, so you know there won't be any upcoming problems especially with a warranty.
0Strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
samuraigoomba

The new Epiphone Les Paul PlusTop Pro models look pretty good. An American Fender Strat is probably much higher quality than most new instruments you could buy in that price range, but it may not be ideal for the type of music you want to play if all it has are single coils.

You can also check the availability of Reverend, Godin, G&L, Malden, Tokai, etc in your area if you want to find something a little more under-the-radar. A humbucker guitar with coil taps is probably your best bet for overall versatility.

High-end LTD and Ibanez guitars are also excellent, you should check out their hardtail guitars (used and new) in the $450 range.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Seems like you'd like a Les Paul with coil tapping.
The Tribute Plus you're looking at should work nicely, it's got Gibson pickups and it looks nice as well. Other options are the ESP LTD EC-256 and the Hagstrom Ultra Swede, all of which are available on Thomann.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbaig
Preferences : personally I like les pauls but they don't have trems

You're on the wrong side of the pond. Sadly, they don't have Agiles at Thoman's, but LPs DO exist with trems. And you CAN get an Epi LP with a trem (Floyd), FWIW...

Agile AL-3100 Floyd ( I picked this one up used for $200):

Real ebony fretboard, real MOP inlays, mahogany body, neck, traditional neck heel, triple binding on headstock and body, single binding on neck, jumbo hand-filed frets, 14" radius, etc. Some of these have 24 frets, mine has 22.

Agile AL-2000 Floyd (this one was under $200 as a B stock with HSC):

24 frets, rosewood fretboard, plastic inlays, single binding on the body, no binding on the headstock, maple neck, mahogany body, jumbo frets, 14" radius. But notice the neck in the back. That "tilted" neck heel works almost as well as a Gibson Axcess. Great upper fret access.

Agile AL-3000 Custom (this one was nearly $1160, delivered, with case, and arrived on exactly the same day as the Gibson Axcess Custom next to it at $4K):

This one's a neck-through construction with the one-piece mahogany neck laid into a channel in a one-piece mahogany back, 3/4" figured (flamed) maple cap, triple binding on headstock and body, single binding on neck, ebony fretboard, real abalone inlays, 16" radius, jumbo frets. The neck heel is scarfed (carved) smooth to provide a smooth transition from neck to body. Upper fret access is the same as on the Axcess next to it.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: