Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
jbm351

Question Looking for a new long term acoustic guitar

I'm looking for a new acoustic guitar for my birthday, but I don't know which brands are good and which are not. So if you can recommend me anything I'd be happy. I''ll be going to Guitar Center eventually, I just want to know what to look for.

I'm looking for a six string acoustic OR acoustic electric around 350$.Anything higher than that I can check Ebay for. I don't know anything about the different sizes so if you could explain this just a little, I'd be grateful.

Okay for a little more information, I play country,pop and classic rock and I mostly use fingerstyle.

Last edited by jbm351 : 07-11-2013 at 08:20 PM.
jbm351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

your best bets new at that price range are the yamaha FG730 or slightly cheaper FG700. you might also consider the fender tim armstrong hellcat, which is brighter and smaller, and has a unique look that may or may not suit you, but i think it's a great deal and a good guitar. btw, it's acoustic electric.

other suggestions - recording king has some good solid top guitars with a somewhat martiny tone.
http://elderly.com/brand/20N_recording%20king.html
browse this page and the next one, there are several dreads and at least 1 000 within your budget.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

I'd second patti's Yamaha suggestion. My question would be...what are you planning on doing with it? Alt, bluegrass,country,prog or classic rock? Strumming or fingerstyle mainly ?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Bones2

I use Ovation acoustic electrics, and they are amazing. I'd get this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation...997-i1148072.gc It is a little over $350, but not by much. The only downside with Ovation guitars is that the bowl takes some getting used to. It doesn't make it harder to play, it just is a little different than most acoustics.

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
Bones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
ghobby

Its hard to go wrong with the Yamaha recommendations, I will also throw in a seagull s6. But if you can go out and try a bunch.

have fun looking
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

the original s6 is about $55 more than the op's budget - it's a great guitar. maybe the op could pick one up during one of mf or gc's holiday sales.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
jjbmgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
your best bets new at that price range are the yamaha FG730 or slightly cheaper FG700.

Yamaha for the price range even OUT of it they are great I'm currently playing on a Yamaha A Series guitar ($899 or so online) with the SRT pickups and so many other things 100% solid wood deff compatible to a few Taylors! It's original price is $1200? -13?
I got mine off Andys music (they are located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana I think)

Yamaha NEVER ships their product to be built in another factory EVER. All the acoustics are built in the same (they only have one) factory in China all the guitar builders are practically guitar luthiers.

Even the cheaper $100-$300 guitars are treated with some ****ing respect (not everybody can buy a $30,000 Martin) I'm 18 turning 19 soon I have more worries then a guitar I was playing on a ESP LTD Etone Ovakongal wood it was a nightmare in the few months I played on it (only started playing acoustic the begging of the year) so much fret buzz that's if it even played for $400 or so. I'm still considering about burning it, the wood was beautiful though.

Anyways you are 100% right on Yamaha for the cheaper guitars... As said even the more expensive one's like their LJX series WILL BLOW YOU AWAY especially for the price, try it... or just look at it side by side to something similar like a Taylor or Martin take a look at the bracing etc...

Yamaha no matter the price puts it through a high standard process example it's the paint laid on properly (if you don't want it natural)
or on my A series they start choosing the tops by hand at this series, it's a spruce I don't know about the $300 ones but obviously the higher ones will get the better tonal ones as they have a guy stand there in a quiet room who's trained to tell the qualities of the wood by it's tonal properties not just looks but it's 40% humidity there so if your top is spruce they have it dry for TWO YEARS before they apply it no matter the guitar or quality of the tops or sides

The frets are hand pressed

if you have a roseette or anything like that it's laid in by hand...

EVERY guitar once again no matter the price is tested in a quiet room to make sure it meets standards, no fret buzz etc...

Once again all in the same factory, NEVER ships it our to a different factory in a cheaper place to build.

YouTube has a few great videos on the factory...

and to the guy I quoted I'm sorry for the long reply you will get, I'm trying to help him out I just don't want him/her to make the mistake we've all made from being pressured in because the people in the guitar store look at you oddly because you don't know everything about guitars so they make you feel guilty or never trying it in person.
jjbmgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: