Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
bobduff80

Been trying for over a year now

I play better than when I first first started but seemed to be a bit stuck. Been watching youtube videos but anytime I get lost I revert to aimlessly strumming various chords. Bought rocksmith thinking it would help and spent most of yesterday with it but feel I've stepped backwards. I just want to be able to play some songs for friends. I know its not an easy process but feel I could do with some structure to progress like I feel I should. Any tips?
bobduff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
sonofgkex

A year is not that long in the grand scheme of things. Truthfully, none of us who are honest with ourselves are as far along as we would like to be. Just keep trying.

Sometimes if you are not improving it helps to break out of your routine a bit. If you play with a pick switch it up by trying some fingerstyle songs like Dee or something. Or, if you prefer, you could expand your mental capabilities by learning some new scale forms or finding new places on the neck to play things you already know in another position. One thing that really helps me is trying to exercise my ear to pick out songs I never tried to play before.

Learning all these skills may not seem useful at first. Eventually you will see how all of the different things you have learned relate to one another, and you will begin to improve again.

The frustration you are experiencing is common to all guitarists. You will get through it eventually. Good luck
sonofgkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
bobduff80

thanks for the advice and encouragement but what do you meant by dee?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
xSOHx

What you're experiencing happens to all guitarists. At some point, you kinda just plateau with your skills. What really helped me was just stepping out of my comfort zone and playing different styles. I play metal and hardcore mostly, so I began to learn jazz and some indie stuff too and it allowed me to expand my talents and gave me a larger skill set I could then apply to the hardcore I love to play. Just keep at it and it will pass in time!
xSOHx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
katalyzt13

the quickest way out of your rut is to take lessons from a good teacher. Otherwise, is finding some people to jam with. Doing both of these things will shoot you forward in your playing.
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
sonofgkex

Dee is an ozzy osbourne song that Randy Rhoads played on a classical guitar. It's just a song that is a good challenge for people who are just beginning fingerstyle guitar. It just helped me a lot because it was still a cool song to me, but it was written in a very different style from most of what I was playing.

It's pretty challenging at first, but it really forced me to adapt to some new techniques.
The tab on here is pretty good, bu the one listed under Randy Rhoads is better than the one listed under ozzy.
sonofgkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
bobduff80

I'll check it out thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
edmond.brown.7

When I get stuck I think it's best just to take a step back from what you're trying to learn. In fact learn something really really easy! Really easy!

Jumping in at the deep end just doesnt work with guitar, at least that's what I think. Buy a book to learn from, with songs or riffs to guide you through your learning. Look for finger exercises to develop your muscles (that's what I find gets me over obstacles).

Learning is a long process but don't give up. Just take your time and break things down into managable chuncks. If you want to learn a song, just learn a few bars. Concentrate on that or else the whole song will overwhelm you. And once that's done, move onto the next bars. Etc.
edmond.brown.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
yinlan
Banned

Hello,I am glad to make friend with you !
Better protected up the Shenguang (blinding) the consequences of the top stage encounter the glare encounter lnger than before mmotank.com remains, follow the assess. may retaliate over Pinseng budget only Sri Lanka hit coming back to buy Cowen to get all your emprend.First you frequently log on some websites, such as duowan,I like the need to sign-up website, you will complete these websites on a action headline protection security protection password after your website was hacker's captured your protection security protection password leaked after on the internet online hackers would offer these details there is a need, they have a lot to do Blizzard activities, some do EA activities and so on.

The details is generic,believe me,the on the bladesoulbuy.com online hackers every attempt virgin dry value of these details.Data is not 100% appropriate protection security protection password, usually ranging from several million to more than a few million,so to filter out invalid details comes from the application, evaluate out the formal website to buy Cost-effective , the biggest staying is black comprehensive

See Daohao is how to do it. Initially offsite protected if you logged in the encounter, then your issue will be closed, closed from vipgw2.com battle will not be able to go in, but if you first lead capture pages and then log in to the encounter, so when your action is closed, batlle web web page is still begin, you can still use the find out out it complicated to enhance your protection security protection password. customized will be able to on the encounter to cost-effective, it's that easy,variety.
yinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
gdady1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
the quickest way out of your rut is to take lessons from a good teacher. Otherwise, is finding some people to jam with. Doing both of these things will shoot you forward in your playing.

This is so true,a good teacher can help in so many ways.
gdady1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: