Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
aaron aardvark

2 new songs to review (Will C4C, I promise!) July 12th!!

I added 2 new synth songs on my music website: "For Infinity" is the song on top, and "Reflections" is the next song down. Please tell me how you like these songs and how they can be improved. If you review me, I will review you, I promise! Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/def...m?bandID=224436
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
logicbdj

The first reminds me of Kraftwerk, which I like (I don't listen to much electronic music, and so if it sounds like someone else, my apologies). Very up-tempo. With the second song, I would have the second keyboard (synth) come in a few bars earlier; but that's just me... my ears get bored quickly, which is why I tend to do instrumentals rather than traditional verse-chorus-verse type songs (every 4-8 bars I'm changing something). Based on that, a third layer is required in the second song... something to be added 75% way through.
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
JohnyToms

I'm not really into electronic music but "For Infinity" is nice. It would be better(for me, of course) if the main riff was being played by the guitar and the solo by a synthesizer instead of this something that its playing(I don't what's its name). Then it would sound like The White Stripes. But overall it's ok.
JohnyToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
XF2
XF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
I added 2 new synth songs on my music website: "For Infinity" is the song on top, and "Reflections" is the next song down. Please tell me how you like these songs and how they can be improved. If you review me, I will review you, I promise! Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/def...m?bandID=224436

(Fingers interlaced and cracking) , I will now review yer song Infinity .....

Dude....U R WIERD ....LOL

OK, now that we got THAT out of the way, lets talk about the tune itself....

The good: The mix is fine, the EQ is fine and the reverb levels on vocals are almost acceptable....The song itself (from a composer POV) is fine for that genre....It's fairly obvious to see where yer goin with the song, lol

The bad: DUUUUUUUDE, you WILL grow hair on yer palms for wankin that damn pitch shifter on yer keyboards !!!! Dammit boy....perhaps a TON more moderation...lol .....SAME on the vocals...Goofin around for effect is one THANG, but when you pitch-shift yer vocals so they go flat it sounds like Alpo....Flat is flat is flat .....

So what does this mean ? Not much....I haven't listened to any of yer other songs yet (I feel like you VIOLATED me, lol) but I promise I will and get back to you ....IF this is the sound yer lookin for, power to ya but you won't be getting rotation any time soon commercially....It's to abstract except for the goonies ...peace out, Lee
XF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
skatooter

I love the quirkiness of your songs, from the start you never know whats going to happen but there is always something familiar in each song...hard to explain lol.

For infinity - The start had me feeling I had started playing streets of rage or something from the 90's gaming era. I have listened to that song 3 times now just to hear that lead synth riff! As strange as the music you make is, I still enjoy listening to it which is weird as it's usually not my thing. Keep it up!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
arnob_oblique
Mostly an Observer

Thanks for reviewing my sound!

Nice build up to the song Reflections, i like the synth tone .. as bit different from the usual tones yet fits perfectly with the song. May be a bit more dynamics would work great with the composition, otherwise it keeps going at the same pace for two and a half minutes. I see a lot of potential in it though, great job and I'm defnitely going to check out the other sounds! Cheers!

You can check out my solo project too!
arnob_oblique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
ryan19

thanks for checking out my song!

Always cool to hear your music. its very different than what im used to hearing. Sounds like video game music or could even be on a movie soundtrack. Interesting sounds anyway. i got no idea how to create this kind of stuff. not familiar with synths. Nice job !
ryan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
bigblockelectra

What do you use as a MIDI controller?
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
aaron aardvark

logicbdj, JohnyToms, XF2, skatooter, arnob_oblique, ryan19,
Thank you for the reviews! I appreciate it!

bigblockelectra,
I used a Korg DS-8 synthesizer as a MIDI controller to play a Korg TR-Rack synthesizer module (no synth plug-ins were used) for both songs.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
mysteronyx

aaron aardvark, I've only listened to Reflections so far, but I really like it. I'm not great at pointing out issues with mixing, but to my ears it sounds great.
mysteronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #11
knitest1ck

I only listened to For Infinity. It sounds like updated Scooby Doo music. I think you should use a more retro-sounding synth.Overall though I'm not sure how I feel about this song, it sounds like it's trying really hard to be interesting but it's just not. I think you should try to throw in a more interesting vocal melody. I really liked the solo though. If you want to give me a crit here's the link
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1609638
knitest1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
trippingiraffe

For Infinity was different, in a good way though, but I really liked Reflections. I think in Reflections, there needed to be another instrument or riff to change it up a bit so it wasn't too repetitive. One thing you could do, instead of adding something, is take something away for a section, just so the listener doesn't become bored. Both were very well done though.
trippingiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
ChrisHiggs

Very interesting. Some almost Daft Punk vibe going on
ChrisHiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Guitar Hack

For Infinity

Music is done very well. the vocals are good too. A little techno vibe going on.

Reflections. Like the intro. Your recording is very polished. I'm still learning myself. I can see this as the background music in a movie. Well Done.
Guitar Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
awesomo41894

For infinity: This song is pretty good. Compositionally, its great. I loved the synth parts in it, The synth leads were SUPER awesome (SO ORIGINAL sounding, and they sounded almost crazy train solo esque around 1:15ish, but much crazier) I really loved listening to the synths. I liked the more minimalist approach on vocals too. I wasnt the BIGGEST fan of the vox on this one, but they did fit, and gave it an almost scary vibe. Overall, good song man, and sorry for the late crit back, ive been so busy lately its crazy
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #16
DrewsGotTheLife

"For infinity" definitely has some old elements like Gary Numan, which reminds of that for some odd reason, I like the creativity with the synth too. Has a nice feel. Overall great stuff!
DrewsGotTheLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
john.hoos.3

Just checked out for infinity. Not my cup of tea, but is quite cool. Drum beat is a bit outdated, hence the kraftwerk comparisons above. Definitely think you could do more on the drum side, even if using a sequencer and just adding some more to it (ie, changes, fills, etc). Cant fault the keyboard work - very good indeed. As an overall song, fairly listenable, quite liked it.
john.hoos.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
CarlosAlejandro

Hello Aaron. I am not a huge fan of electronic music. I just end listening for infinity track and reflections, there is some things i want to say

About for infinity, well, this track is way away for my music taste, i liked the bass. Did you made it with controllers and stuff? Anyway, it sound great! And some of the rare sound you used were good, one thing i did not like was the drum sound... And some drum fills, but i think is a matter of taste (Talking exactly about the fills, the sound sometimes was pretty weird to me?) ... If you will need some bass lines tell me, i'll be glad to work with you on the bass

About reflections, well, is different from for infinity, of course. I did love the piano melody (i think it's a piano!?) . I think the strings you made should be enter on fading, it was weird for me that it just plop on the song (Maybe it's because im seeing the song like a soft balade or something) ... Then! The tambourine, oh... Simple but i love it.

I hope my opinion help you in future tracks and of course, keep in the mind the thing i told you about the bass. ciao
Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
aaron aardvark

mysteronyx, knitest1ck, trippingiraffe, ChrisHiggs, Guitar Hack, awesomo41894, DrewsGotTheLife, john.hoos.3, CarlosAlejandro,

Thank you for the reviews! I appreciate it!

CarlosAlejandro,
I commented on your song "Post Rock 13", the first song. I used a Korg DS-8 synthesizer as a MIDI controller to play a Korg TR-Rack synthesizer module (no synth plug-ins were used) for both songs. "Reflections": there is a sampled Wurlitzer electric piano in that song. I play synths, electric guitar, and electric bass also. It depends on the song (or my mood) whether I decide to use synth bass or electric bass for a particular song. Thank you for the offer!

Last edited by aaron aardvark : 07-23-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #20
Innercelph

Thanks for the feedback!

For Infinity - love the synth sounds and melodies, really sinister. Agree with the above comments on the drums though, they need to sound way bigger and more upfront. Personally I would also drag out the outro a bit more, ends way too abruptly imo.

Reflections - really like the composition on this track, sounds like it belong in the title sequence of an 80's sci-fi movie. Some background percussion buildup in the second half would really add to it as well, does get a bit repetitive towards the end.
Innercelph is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: