Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #41
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Take a picture of you amp settings or go buy an MG.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #42
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Does it really matter? Even the weakest single coils aren't going to make the Peavey Transtube's gain disappear like OP is describing.
Being the remarkable level of noobness TS is, if he's using a Squier with 5 year old strings and the single coils screwed all the way into the body, and expecting the tone from an EMG 81 through the same amp... he might be mistakenly blaming the problem on the amp. It was an idea

EDIT: He could be also using the neck pickup instead of the bridge as well, which would be a bummer for balls-out metal like he's after.

*Guitar*Man*: Could you post a picture, from this angle, showing your guitar pickups? Also, make sure you have the bridge pickup selected when you're after heavy ass tones. It's more aggressive than the neck or middle pickup.

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D : 07-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #43
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Being the remarkable level of noobness TS is, if he's using a Squier with 5 year old strings and the single coils screwed all the way into the body, and expecting the tone from an EMG 81 through the same amp... he might be mistakenly blaming the problem on the amp. It was an idea

EDIT: He could be also using the neck pickup instead of the bridge as well, which would be a bummer for balls-out metal like he's after.

*Guitar*Man*: Could you post a picture, from this angle, showing your guitar pickups? Also, make sure you have the bridge pickup selected when you're after heavy ass tones. It's more aggressive than the neck or middle pickup.

You give TS too much credit. This guy is a dumbass. It's an amp setting or a broken amp.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's resident ska kid

Quote:
Since nobody has asked...
What guitar are you using?

I asked!
Wrst_Plyr_Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #45
7thString
UG's fly on the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Buullshiiit! Turn that sucker near max for some Swedish Deathmetal goodness.

But yeah, as much as I like HM2 I doubt its what TS is looking for his distortion needs.

I literally cant stand using the 'high color mix' knob (treble). Mine is a Taiwan although I cant imagine they'd differ much in that regard. I keep the bass dimed and usually use an OD in front of it.

And yeah I cant foresee his distortion needs being satisfied in this thread. TS, drive head on into a bus, record the sound of the crash then put it in a pedal that plays the sound when you whack the strings with a brick.
7thString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #46
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

A klon would fit you perfectly.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #47
*Guitar*Man*

Quote:
Since nobody has asked...
What guitar are you using?

I have a cheap Epiphone Les Paul alpine white, and I 've recently ordered a Jackson kelly with EMG pickups
*Guitar*Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #48
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thString
I literally cant stand using the 'high color mix' knob (treble). Mine is a Taiwan although I cant imagine they'd differ much in that regard. I keep the bass dimed and usually use an OD in front of it.

And yeah I cant foresee his distortion needs being satisfied in this thread. TS, drive head on into a bus, record the sound of the crash then put it in a pedal that plays the sound when you whack the strings with a brick.

Naaah, they dont differ considerably though some claim Taiwanese are noisier. I'm just referencing the Entombed sound, which needs the high knob to be (almost) cranked, the stuff people tend to get HM2 for these days. But its not like thats the only thing its good for...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #49
*Guitar*Man*

So finally, people. My guitar's pickups are shitty, my amp's lead channel is broken, and I found the pedal I was looking for, so it's OVER! And I have more than 8 years experience with acoustic and electric guitar, so I'm not such a ****ing noob, like i've seen up there ^. I just don't know much about amps and pedals, since for many years i've been using the same amp and pedal, and also, my english isn't the best...
Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #50
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

This thread.

TS, you're a stubborn child. You refuse to listen to people with actual experience and knowledge, you blatantly ignore questions that are aimed to genuinely help you and you are so ignorant to the fact that your amp is fine and that throwing money at it won't make it a better amp it's ridiculous.

Have fun plugging a metal pedal into your cheap Peavey amp. See you in two weeks when you start complaining about it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #51
*Guitar*Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
This thread.

TS, you're a stubborn child. You refuse to listen to people with actual experience and knowledge, you blatantly ignore questions that are aimed to genuinely help you and you are so ignorant to the fact that your amp is fine and that throwing money at it won't make it a better amp it's ridiculous.

Have fun plugging a metal pedal into your cheap Peavey amp. See you in two weeks when you start complaining about it again.

First, I am not a child. I never refused listening to experienced people, and I try to answer most of the questions. I know what to expect from my cheap guitar (that's why i order a good one), and also, you all say that my amp is fine and i'm wrong. I know very well that i've spent an hour trying every single setting on my amp's lead channel and I know that something's wrong. Also, I like pedals, but you don't. Every one likes different stuff!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #52
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Guitar*Man*
First, I am not a child. I never refused listening to experienced people, and I try to answer most of the questions. I know what to expect from my cheap guitar (that's why i order a good one), and also, you all say that my amp is fine and i'm wrong. I know very well that i've spent an hour trying every single setting on my amp's lead channel and I know that something's wrong. Also, I like pedals, but you don't. Every one likes different stuff!

Dont get us wrong, we arent trying to insult you. Well... most of us arent. I personally just find the whole situation odd, you calling the distortion channel just overdrive which to my ears means a mere crunch channel. I know for a fact that Envoy has monstrous amount of gain, it doesnt matter what kind of guitar and pickups you have if you dime the pregain it turns into a fizzy mess. Its just a shitty combo otherwise, small very crappy speaker and open back design... (not a good sound for metal to my ears)

*edit* Infact I had to test it just now. Guitar plugged into high-gain input, lead channel high-gain setting and I find anything having above 2-3 a clock unusable as far as amount of distortion goes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 07-14-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #53
*Guitar*Man*

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Dont get us wrong, we arent trying to insult you. Well... most of us arent. I personally just find the whole situation odd, you calling the distortion channel just overdrive which to my ears means a mere crunch channel. I know for a fact that Envoy has monstrous amount of gain, it doesnt matter what kind of guitar and pickups you have if you dime the pregain it turns into a fizzy mess. Its just a shitty combo otherwise, small very crappy speaker and open back design... (not a good sound for metal to my ears)

*edit* Infact I had to test it just now. Guitar plugged into high-gain input, lead channel high-gain setting and I find anything having above 2-3 a clock unusable as far as amount of distortion goes.

Well, I'm far away from home right now, but when i get home (in about a week). I'm going to post a video here to finaly understand what's going on
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #54
MaaZeus

Quote:
Well, I'm far away from home right now, but when i get home (in about a week). I'm going to post a video here to finaly understand what's going on

Excellent! That would clarify things quite a bit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #55
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:

Should have said that a long time ago when we asked for pics. Thread could have gone much more smoothly with much less insults.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #56
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Used Jekyll and Hyde if your really want to use a pedal, it comes with a pretty bitchin ts clone so when you graba proper tube amp your one step ahead of the game. The j+h has more then ennough gain on tap to do what ever the hell you want to do with it.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #57
Sputnik1
He's A Thread Killer

Quote:
No, no my amp is new, I bought it just 2 months ago. It's a peavey envoy 110. There are no distortion channels on it..

Quote:
my amp's lead channel is broken

So you bought an amp broken and then come complaining and say you are not an idiot. GTFO!

Last edited by Sputnik1 : 07-14-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Sputnik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #58
music_warrior

If you're going to run distortion through a pedal and keep your amp clean (like I do), the best budget pedal I've heard in person is the MXR Fullbore Metal. Got lots of knobs, good sound, not quite MetalZone-ish.

Or you could always throw a decent OD at your drive channel like a Fulltone OCD or MXR Custom Badass overdrive. If your amp is running hot, either one of those pedals will make it crack nicely.
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
music_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #59
wildozer
Not A Registered User

Okay listen here buddy, you ask for our help and we are trying to give it to you. The envoy amp CAN get decent metal tones out, I know this from personal experience. I truly think that there is nothing wrong with your amp, and that the problem is that you are not dialing in the right settings. You need to sit down with your equipment and really get to know it, this may take hours and it is half the fun when you get new gear. The LAST thing you need to be doing is literally wasting your money on "pedals to make you sound good", because the sad truth is that these pedals will not make you sound just like the recordings/songs that you listen to. Those songs are recorded with equipment that costs thousands of dollars and no amount of pedals will get you there.

I suggest that you make do with the Envoy, learn to dial in a reasonable tone on the lead channel and save your pennies. The next thing you want to be buying is a new amp as this will make the biggest difference to your metal sounds of anything else that you could spend your money on. Save.

However you asked for a pedal recommendation, and if you chose to ignore all the advice that this forum offers you then so be it. You're only wasting your own time and money, not mine. EHX Metal Muff is a pretty sweet sounding distortion pedal. I can get everything from Iron Maiden to Parkway Drive.
wildozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: