Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Amplifying a classical guitar

What is the better way to amplify a classical guitar, with nylon strings, aside from using a mic?
Is there any kind of pickup or something that enables you to plug a classical guitar to an electric guitar amp or P.A. system?
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

yes, there are pickups you can install in your classical guitar - just google "classical guitar pickup"

i suggest you use an amp for acoustic guitars rather than electric guitars. as far as plugging directly into a p.a., you might want to get a box so you can adjust the tone on your end rather than relying on the person controlling the p.a. to do it for you - and p.a.s probably won't have the perfect settings for your guitar.

btw, for all i know there are amps for classical guitars, could be worth a look.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
rcoon1011

What about a Peavey keyboard Amp?
Sounds sweet......
rcoon1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

keyboard amps do seem to be very versatile. i used one with my electronic drums, my bass and even... a keyboard!
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
Captaincranky

Keyboard amps mostly all seem to have two way speaker systems, which is also the hallmark of acoustic amps.

I'm thinking the extra high end provided by a system with a high frequency driver would be beneficial to a nylon strung guitar, which typically doesn't have too much "sting" in the high end.

In any event, both keyboard and acoustic amps are a little closer to "high fidelity" than electric guitar amps, which have a sonic personality built in.

With keyboard amps, they need to be ruggedized, to withstand the constant signal of an organ. Especially the speakers.

So, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, you're unlikely to damage a keyboard amp with an acoustic guitar. The bad news is, if you don't like the amp, you'll have a hard time blowing it up to justify buying a new one.....

TS, if you get a chance, listen to the Berhinger brand of amp. They're feature loaded, low priced, and the electric guys loathe them. I suspect they may be too clean for electric guitar, which would make them good for acoustic.

Another idea is the new Peavey VIP Vypyr series modeling amps. They're equipped with different inputs for different guitars. (Acoustic, electric, & bass (no tweeters though)).

Take note, none of these approaches are going to give you "lab sound". For that you'd need high quality mics and a studio.

Instrument amps always tend to be a bit noisy, and Peavey is as much of an offender with this, as anybody in the business.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 07-15-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
yes, there are pickups you can install in your classical guitar - just google "classical guitar pickup"

Would the K&K Big Shot work, for example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Another idea is the new Peavey VIP Vypyr series modeling amps. They're equipped with different inputs for different guitars. (Acoustic, electric, & bass (no tweeters though)).

That would be a good idea, since i'm contemplating the idea of buying a bass, and that way i wouldn't need to buy a bass amp as well -- i'd use the Peavey VIP Vypyr both for the classical guitar and bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Take note, none of these approaches are going to give you "lab sound". For that you'd need high quality mics and a studio.

I know, i just need a simple and reliable solution to play live. I like to use different guitars for different songs, and i just want to add my classical guitar to my on-stage gear.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: