Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Gorgomoth

Crack down on race baiting

I don't frequent the site on a regular basis, which makes it even more of a problem about how often I see this. I see many times people will make broad, sweeping generalizations about people of certain races (at times very offensive) with absolutely no moderation. Reporting the posts doesn't seem to have any effect at all. I think the mods need to be educated that racism isn't just about throwing around racial slurs and lynching people. I think this would greatly improve the quality of the site.
Gorgomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Examples? I won't consider it "Race Baiting" for you to give an example...
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
Examples? I won't consider it "Race Baiting" for you to give an example...

There was a thread were the assertion that white people did not have the ability to appreciate and understand rap music the same way that blacks do. You could also read the George Zimmerman trial threads.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgomoth
There was a thread were the assertion that white people did not have the ability to appreciate and understand rap music the same way that blacks do. You could also read the George Zimmerman trial threads.

Ahhh okay.

That's tough. It would be difficult for mods to have more control over the thread/user with such a broad form of racial stereotypes. I do see what you're saying though. They could close a thread but, it seems like 90% of the threads would be closed and that would suck for the other "non-violating" contributing users.

Warnings might work.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

By the way, I don't dare even hinder around the idea of checking out the Zimmerman thread. I know what that'll entail.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Gorgomoth

I'd rather see the people committing the act get warnings and potentially banned than threads being locked down. There a few people who seem like they can't post without making the topic be race related.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
I'd rather see the people committing the act get warnings and potentially banned than threads being locked down. There a few people who seem like they can't post without making the topic be race related.

Yeah. I see it all the time.

I'm waiting for it to show up in this thread.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
I'm waiting for it to show up in this thread.

The people who do it thrive on being able to call racism when someone points it out that they are doing it, so I doubt they'd admit to it in this thread. Could anything be done to cull this?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
sonofgkex

My God, dude. Are you really that sensitive? If someone is ignorant enough to post something racist like that are you really going to let them get under your skin? Why don't you just ignore those who offend you like the rest of the normal people?

Sometimes I think people who get offended too easily over this stuff are just exaggerating how affronted they feel in order to make other people admire how thoughtful and progressive they are.
sonofgkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgkex
Why don't you just ignore those who offend you like the rest of the normal people?.

Did my post offend you? Is it something you don't like? My god, man. Why don't you just ignore it like the normal person say you are? It isn't so much racism, it's more the double standard behind it "being okay" when certain people do it. So it's much easier to just stop the racism completely.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Aralingh
Intelligent person

And this is a problem why?
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
Why is racism a problem?

You should remove your "intelligent person" title.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
sonofgkex

Why don't you stop trying to look like some kind of white knight and join us down here in the real world where actual problems exist. Nobody cares about your delicate sensibilities. Get a life.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Gorgomoth

Quote:
join us down here in the real world where actual problems exist.

lol Are you really implying racism isn't a problem in the real world? Ouch... I think I cut my self on how edgy you are.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
steven seagull
not really a seagull

If you have a problem with a post or thread then report it, that's exactly why that mechanism exists and it's what everybody else does

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
If you have a problem with a post or thread then report it, that's exactly why that mechanism exists and it's what everybody else does

Quote:
Reporting the posts doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

In the future, you should read the thread before posting.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
sonofgkex

No, racism is a problem. However it will never be solved by people like you complaining about it in forums.

I was implying that you don't have any real issues or problems to deal with in your own life, so you picked a popular cause like racism to champion. This allows you to feel as if you make some valuable contribution to society by being race-sensitive and progressive when in fact you probably feel the true effects of racism very rarely if at all. Nobody around you is actually admiring you, and I would wager that you often annoy many of the people you associate with.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
sonofgkex

Hey, it's steven. I think you banned me once.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
In the future, you should read the thread before posting.

If reporting the post doesn't have any effect, that probably means that the mods don't deem them to have any real malicious intent. It is incredibly rare to see anything on this site that is actually meant to be racist/sexist/homophobic/etc, and when such a thing happens it is usually taken care of right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Gorgomoth

Quote:
No, racism iis blah blah .

So much implying and projecting in this post. Don't like the premise of the thread? Leave. You probably live in a completely homogeneous neighborhood and have never actually seen real racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
If reporting the post doesn't have any effect, that probably means that the mods don't deem them to have any real malicious intent. It is incredibly rare to see anything on this site that is actually meant to be racist/sexist/homophobic/etc, and when such a thing happens it is usually taken care of right away.

Read the thread. I was pointing out how the mods do not think this is a problem. I can link you right now, not only a thread that contains antisemitic slurs but also champions the holocaust. So that's bullshit.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: