Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
frusciante_5

whether or not someone chooses to be offended over this or not OP raised a good point that i'm sure others will be concerned with and in the correct forum to raise the issue

songofgkex claims to have the authority to tell someone whether they should be offended or not, then makes assumptions about OPs intentions based on what he also assumes to be OPs experience. Why is that necessary? you're just trying to hijack OPs point to make him look silly.

another example of UG trying victimizing someone (being 'over sensitive') for improving the integrity and encouraging intelligent, thoughtful persepective into the forums. Sad
frusciante_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
sonofgkex

Notice that you have not had a single positive response to you thread yet, and fyi I have more black neighbors that I do white ones.

Also notice that you have not had a single positive response to your thread yet.

Just give up, man. We are not going to admire you for just randomly whining about how racist everyone is when nobody even said anything racist about you in particular.

fruscante, are you really naive enough to believe that this guy is just whining about other people's problems because he's such a good guy and he cares?

That's what he wants you to think, and gullible people like you are the reason people get away with this crap.

Stop facilitating these people, dude

Last edited by sonofgkex : 07-14-2013 at 01:16 PM.
sonofgkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #23
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgkex
Notice that you have not had a single positive response to you thread yet,

Read the thread
I wasn't asking you or anyone else to give me a medal for pointing out this problem. I wasn't asking for a site wide "Gorgomoth Day" in remembrance of how I single handedly defeated the UG racists. I don't care what you think about this subject. I don't want your opinions on the quality of my person-hood. I just want the problem fixed.
Gorgomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
sonofgkex

Well, the bad news is that you aren't going to get what you want. The other bad news is that you're probably going to get what you don't want.

That is often the worst thing about people who do what you are doing. They don't even realize it. You just take a popular opinion like "racism is bad" and talk about it all the time in order to have a talking point that nobody can effectively disagree with. This does not make you deep. It means that you are unoriginal, and that you are incapable of arguing a position that the vast majority of society has not already agreed upon.

Got to leave now,
peace
sonofgkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
frusciante_5

naive haha maybe, but its better than assuming that someone has an agenda as opposed to making an actual point that the mods may want to look into. Surely that IS what this sub forum is for no? OP didn't attack anyone in particular just raised a point that ARGUABLY has some relevance on this forum. Your just being a bit patronizing, as if OPs concerns simply don't matter
frusciante_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgomoth
Read the thread. I was pointing out how the mods do not think this is a problem. I can link you right now, not only a thread that contains antisemitic slurs but also champions the holocaust. So that's bullshit.

Look mate, the fact that you take offense to things like that that clearly aren't serious isn't really the mods' problem. Everyone that posts regularly in the Pit jokes about that sort of thing. It's not really a big deal because everyone knows that nobody is actually being serious.

But why don't you humor me and link me to this thread that you're talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - The Origin of "Loombag"
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #27
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgkex
This does not make you deep. It means that you are unoriginal, and that you are incapable of arguing a position that the vast majority of society has not already agreed upon.
peace

Okay, we have established that I am not deep and am very unoriginal in that I think racism shouldn't be allowed. I am an asshole for wanting moderators to enforce more effective moderating when it comes to racism. You get what you wanted? You aren't even a mod, I'm not asking you to do anything. Someone is lacking attention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Look mate, the fact that you take offense to things like that that clearly aren't serious isn't really the mods' problem. Everyone that posts regularly in the Pit jokes about that sort of thing. It's not really a big deal because everyone knows that nobody is actually being serious.

But why don't you humor me and link me to this thread that you're talking about?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...15&page=5&pp=20

Racist jokes are still racist, bro. It's not okay even if it's for the lulz. And again, people are fine to throw around the "k word" or the "c word' but if they use the "n word" then it is a problem. It's a blatant racist double standard. Basically you think anything is okay to say as long as you are joking? That's simply not true.

Last edited by Gorgomoth : 07-14-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #28
Hydra150
UG Spammer

If you see something like that, make sure to report it.
I read a post generalising and insulting the intelligence of my countrymen, and while it was pretty weak trolling it didn't seem to be good natured. He got a warning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichikurosaki
wat no maybe 14 at yougnest

It's a Sein

Last edited by Hydra150 : 07-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
Bair
UG Fanatic

Isn't this (the internet) the only real place where anyone can say any dumbass thing they'd like, be it hateful, disrespectful, sexist, homophobic, racist or just plain vile and not be prosecuted by an authority. I understand UG is a moderated site and has rules but the majority is a free and open discussion.

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
guitarxo
UG Senior Member

If you have a problem with what someone is saying then talk to them about it. Complaining behind their backs isn't going to change anything.

RIP ;c
guitarxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bair
Isn't this (the internet) the only real place where anyone can say any dumbass thing they'd like,.

Unless it's about tube amps....
But, seriously, this is sort of my point. If that were true then it should be TOTALLY true. For example, the "K word' is used now and again and isn't apparently a bannable offense, however the "N word" is. I'd totally agree with you if it truly was free speech, but apparently some demographics are okay to refer to with a slur while others aren't. Even with that being said, I still don't think allowing racist jokes is a good thing but especially if racism is only allowed for specific demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
If you have a problem with what someone is saying then talk to them about it. Complaining behind their backs isn't going to change anything.

Done this twice. Both times the response was "lol u funny n rayciss" because most of the people believe the double standard is okay.

Last edited by Gorgomoth : 07-14-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #32
matthewzguitarz

Wonder if I should be posting here...

Anyways, I agree with the OP I guess. Even though you may think it is okay to joke about this stuff, it does still hurt people. Also, it can still effect you, even if you deleted the post afterwards, someone is still able to find it, not sure about forums like this, but if it was on facebook or something, than an employer could find it or someone else.

But, people will think I am stupid, just like people thought I was stupid when I closed my forums because people wouldn't stop talking about illegal stuff.
matthewzguitarz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #33
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewzguitarz
But, people will think I am stupid, just like people thought I was stupid when I closed my forums because people wouldn't stop talking about illegal stuff.

Careful someone will tell you you are trying to white knight and gain admirance for saying illegal stuff is bad.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #34
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings

Dude, man up. Ive been on this site since 2009 and not once have I ever seen someone be racist/hating towards someone else in a negative way. Has there been racist jokes? Sure, just like there has been jokes about women, midgets, and pretty much anything else. Its a joke, Its over sensitive people like you that give make jokes into a big deal and ruin them for everybody. If your brand of censorship isn't found on UG maybe there is a Hello Kitty webpage you can visit.

(incoming long-winded response about how you are just trying to get mods to be crack down and you aren't the savior of UG. We get it.)

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
shredder3386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #35
Hydra150
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder3386
Has there been racist jokes? Sure, just like there has been jokes about women, midgets, and pretty much anything else. Its a joke, Its over sensitive people like you that give make jokes into a big deal and ruin them for everybody. If your brand of censorship isn't found on UG maybe there is a Hello Kitty webpage you can visit.

If jokes are offensive then they're probably not the sort we want on this website. Let's not alienate people for the sake of a crude laugh.
Casually making racist and sexist jokes isn't cool cuz it just reinforces real sexism and racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichikurosaki
wat no maybe 14 at yougnest

It's a Sein

Last edited by Hydra150 : 07-14-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #36
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Racism on the internet is often just a big joke, even in real life everyone makes fun of the black guy or asian guy or whatever of their stereotype because it creates fun banter that everyone enjoys.

On the internet it is hard to interpret what people are meaning sometimes and what you may see as real racism is possibly just banter.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
If jokes are offensive then they're probably not the sort we want on this website. Let's not alienate people for the sake of a crude laugh.
Casually making racist and sexist jokes isn't cool cuz it just reinforces real sexism and racism.

I disagree. Jokes don't reinforce racism as much as walking on eggs shells all day and tip-toeing around like a church mouse. That's why we can live in a world where people get so offended by a "Fright 214" newspaper headline, and assume its a racist stereotype against Asians. Oversensitive people made that into a MUCH bigger race problem then there needed to be. I'm not saying offensive jokes that target people or make people feel bad about themselves, but for **** sakes have a sense of humor.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
shredder3386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
Gorgomoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder3386
Jokes don't reinforce racism as much as walking on eggs shells all day and tip-toeing around like a church mouse.

This right here is a big part of the problem. When not using derogatory slurs or racial stereotypes is the equivalent to walking on egg shells to you it shows you have a problem. It is apparently so second nature for you to be racist that asking you not to be is a HUGE deal for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Galon
On the internet it is hard to interpret what people are meaning sometimes and what you may see as real racism is possibly just banter.

That goes for both ways then. Like, I said, it isn't just the racism that is the problem, it is also the double standard on what racism is okay to joke about and what racism isn't, which in itself is inherently racist.

Last edited by Gorgomoth : 07-14-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #39
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

The way I see it is, if its all for goodhearted mutual fun and jokes and nobody gets hurt then its fine.

Look at the Jews. WW2 was a long time ago and people still make jokes about it. People have that sort of humour, I kinda enjoy them too since my sense of humour is quite dark.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #40
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

I have friends of many friends whos race, colour, sexual preference, religious views etc differ from mine. We take the piss out of each other non stop. I see it as banter. As do they. If someone ever assaulted or genuinely bullied them due to whatever difference that's where the line is drawn.

The internet a weird and wonderful place. Flippant comments about race or belief can have me in stitches, but actions such as that of the westboro church utterly disgust me.

There is no definite line between these 2 extreme situations, it is subjective to each person. Which im assuming is why its difficult to moderate
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: