Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
BlackCrowKing

Line 6 DT25

Hey guys,

just saw some youtube clips from the line 6 DT25.
I'm not too fond of Line 6 amps (who is?) but I have to admit this one sparked my curiosity. It doesn't sound half bad from what I can hear but it's hard to tell from youtube. Since it's basically a tube amp with some modelling capabilities - you guys think it handles pedals OK?

Anyone who owns a DT25 or tried it? Are the amp models more or less legit? I'd like to hear your thoughts

Cheers,

BCK
BlackCrowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

Line 6 make some very nice amps. The spider series is what most do not like. The Flextone/Vetta/DuoVerb/HD147/SV HD100 are nice amps.

The DT is a nice amp, but not excellent by itself. However the DT is made to pair with the POD HD 300/400/500 and it turns the amp into a very versatile and good sounding amp.

If you do not have a POD HD or plan on buying one, I would look at a different amp.

THE DT does not contain modeling like typical L6 amps do
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 07-15-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
BlackCrowKing

Honestly I've just checked some of the Line 6 models you mentioned and you're right - apart from the Spider series they all look and sound pretty solid. Too bad they're best known (here anyways) for the spiders.

They deserve more credit

I'm kind of a traditionalist myself - I feel dirty when I use my Boss GT8 even though it's a great, reliable piece of kit for a quick jam - but paired with that POD HD I think this is one great and versatile setup. Will probably try it out anyway when I have the chance.

Thanks for the info

Last edited by BlackCrowKing : 07-15-2013 at 10:40 AM.
BlackCrowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Line 6 make some very nice amps. The spider series is what most do not like. The Flextone/Vetta/DuoVerb/HD147/SV HD100 are nice amps.

The DT is a nice amp, but not excellent by itself. However the DT is made to pair with the POD HD 300/400/500 and it turns the amp into a very versatile and good sounding amp.

If you do not have a POD HD or plan on buying one, I would look at a different amp.

THE DT does not contain modeling like typical L6 amps do
I would have to disagree that the DT series needs to be paired with a Pod HD. I played it without and was very impressed with the amp by itself. Yes, the Pod would be a great tool to use with it in addition to, but is by no means necessary to for getting great sounds out of the amp. It's already packed with features on it's own -- especially when compared with most other tube amps.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
dlowe102

I agree the Dt series amps do not need a POD HD rather a POD HD needs a DT series amp. The DT has 4 built in tube power amps. The DT matches the power amp to the style of poweramp that the POD HD is modeling. But I do agree having both is ideal.
dlowe102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlowe102
I agree the Dt series amps do not need a POD HD rather a POD HD needs a DT series amp. The DT has 4 built in tube power amps. The DT matches the power amp to the style of poweramp that the POD HD is modeling. But I do agree having both is ideal.

The DT has 1 power amp and 4 analog modeling pre-amps
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
dlowe102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The DT has 1 power amp and 4 analog modeling pre-amps

You sir are so incorrect . The amp has 4 switchable analog power amps. and 4 modeling pre amps that then go thru a tube then into 1 of the 4 different power amps that is the style power amp of the amp modeled. The 4 modeling pre amps can be changed thru dt edit from 20 or so pre amps.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
You sir are so incorrect . The amp has 4 switchable analog power amps. and 4 modeling pre amps that then go thru a tube then into 1 of the 4 different power amps that is the style power amp of the amp modeled. The 4 modeling pre amps can be changed thru dt edit from 20 or so pre amps.

dude, you can carry that BS attitude right outta here. we don't need anymore jackasses around here than we already have.

this amp DOES NOT have 4 power amps. this would require at least four to eight power tubes (but it only has two EL84) and would also require four output transformers.

if you mean the poweramp can be switched from A to AB operation and it has a pentode and triode mode then say that. changing the operation of the power amp is not 4 power amps.

i think you should apologize for your shitty behavior and also for spreading misinformation. you can save yourself future embarrassment by not talking out your ass.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 07-23-2013 at 10:48 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
ExDementia
UG Freak

I think we need to put you in time out so you can think about what you did! *slaps wrist*

But seriously. Do research before you call someone out like that. Anyone who knows anything about amps can tell you that an amp with 4 power sections would be huge and ridiculously heavy with all those output transformers.

Last edited by ExDementia : 07-23-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Robbgnarly

Quote:

Well aren't you the one spreading misinformation. look up the facts then get back to me and tell me who is wrong again

Like has been covered the DT has 1 power amp and 2 channels that each have 2 settings that are analog modeling. I guess you need to hang out where people know a little more so it will rub of on you
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
dlowe102

You guys are the rude ones. I called the dude Sir. The dt series amps do use two power amp tubes BUT the wiring and topology of the power amp section can be switched 4 different configurations. You guys are describing a spidervalve . The dt changes its power amp section with wiring and switches. im not talking about the a a/b and triod pentode switch
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
dlowe102

here is a thread explaining it a little. Ill dig up some more info for you guys.
http://line6.com/support/topic/1033...dard-power-amp/
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
zl1288

Quote:
You guys are the rude ones. I called the dude Sir. The dt series amps do use two power amp tubes BUT the wiring and topology of the power amp section can be switched 4 different configurations. You guys are describing a spidervalve . The dt changes its power amp section with wiring and switches. im not talking about the a a/b and triod pentode switch

Then what are you talking about, because I'm pretty sure those are the 4 different configurations. Seems like you may be getting confused by the Line 6 marketing speak, happens to the best of us
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
dlowe102

"the DT isn't modeling ANYTHING power amp wise... it rewires itself internally via relays and other gadgetry to become the real deal...."
It switches to one of 4 configurable analog power amp topolgy
'"While it might seem on the surface the DT amplifiers might have fixed EL34 or EL84 vibe...It just seems that way...The DT amplifiers allow for changing the Class (A or AB), Mode (Pentode or Triode) and 4 different Negative Feedback Levels...It's like have 16 different power amplifiers"
The negative feedback topology is created by changing the anolog wiring and switching to match how the poweramp responds to the preamp

Last edited by dlowe102 : 07-24-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
ExDementia
UG Freak

It is one power section with 4 modes. If it had multiple power sections, then it would have multiples of the entire circuitry that makes up a power amp including more output transformers and more power tubes. What the DT does is take the one power section, and allow you to choose the manner in which it behaves my switching between A, AB, pentode, and triode operation.

1 power section. 4 analog modes of operation. End of story.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:

putting 'Sir' in a response does not exempt it from being rude. no one is claiming the amp uses digital modeling. and the A to A/B and pent to triode (plus the NFL) is exactly what you are talking about, it just seems you don't know that.

Quote:
"the DT isn't modeling ANYTHING power amp wise... it rewires itself internally via relays and other gadgetry to become the real deal...."
'"While it might seem on the surface the DT amplifiers might have fixed EL34 or EL84 vibe...It just seems that way...The DT amplifiers allow for changing the Class (A or AB), Mode (Pentode or Triode) and 4 different Negative Feedback Levels...It's like have 16 different power amplifiers"
The negative feedback topology is created by changing the anolog wiring and switching to match how the poweramp responds to the preamp

dude, your stock is plummeting.

it says so right there, "it's like hav[ing] 16 different power amps". it doesn't have 16 different power amps (which is more than the 4 you earlier claimed).

no one is saying you can't change settings on the power amp. what we are saying is there is one power amp... cuz there is.

alright:
- 1 power amp = mono
- 2 power amps = stereo
- 4 power amps = quadrophonic

the amp is mono... it has one power amp. i don't care how many settings and relays that power amp has: there is one of them.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 07-24-2013 at 02:15 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
Robbgnarly

Quote:

You are close, but you are not fully understanding what happens. There is 1 power amp and like has been covered it can run in different styles, but it is still only 1 power amp. It has the ability to run in 4 different configurations. It is not 4 power amps. There are many amps that can run this way Splawn, Mesa, Marshall, ect.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Rate This Thread: