Burgery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
anvil is god
tiny silver hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
This thread is stupid

This
Modern metal is better anyways. The internet has given us some cool subgenres like blackgaze over the past few years.

last.fm
anvil is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
willT08
SM58 beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
With the way things are going, that won't happen for a good while.

Hopefully not. It's sad to see any scene die because you know people poured their heart and soul in to keeping it alive.

But use UK Garage as an example. It had THE biggest rave scene in the UK, was churning out hits like Gotta Get Through This that sells over half a million in the UK, reaches 10 on US Billboard, So Solid Crew have another UK Number 1 and sell over 100,000 in the first week of 21 Seconds. Artful Dodger are having huge success worldwide and there's still a huge underground scene to go along with all that.

UK Garage isn't made by anyone any more. There is not a single producer out there making a living out of making it. That huge success was only like 10 years ago and now that whole scene is gone.

Obviously Metal as a whole is better rooted than Garage was but specific sub genres are liable to fall as music becomes more splintered and vastly available. I could be chatting shit, but if we all agree specific scenes are gonna get smaller (So I mean, Dubstep as a whole would be too vast, but there was talk up until maybe a year ago of whether Deep Dubstep was just dead and needed to be left - that's how specific I mean by scene) then it seems like that's what should happen given the past.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
With the way things are going, that won't happen for a good while.

No, but there are various scenes that have died already. For instance, Djent is pretty much dead/dying; there's not a lot of commercial good Djent coming out now. (In fact, a few of the former big names of Djent have flat-out switched genres. Example: TessarcT are now doing Prog Rock.) I know a lot of the elitists were all gung-ho about how that wasn't Metal, but it was. It just wasn't what they liked about Metal. Anyway, my point is, there is a bit of ebb and flow within Metal. Consider how there's several new-ish bands that mix Black Metal or Death Metal with elements of various other genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
This
Modern metal is better anyways. The internet has given us some cool subgenres like blackgaze over the past few years.

That depends what you mean by "modern". Also, better is largely up to opinion.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 07-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
willT08
SM58 beater

I think Djent is a good example of how it'd work in non-EDM genres. Anybody who's gonna pretend it's not as close to dead as makes no difference isn't being honest with themselves.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

Periphery.
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Stringz of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
jjfeu662
Celestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGenzale
hopefully not.
the big 4 are all bad.

Slayer and Anthrax are on-par with the lesser-known thrash bands, but I despise Megadeth.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
goest
SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringz of Fury
Periphery.

Is god awful.

Y'all should check out my band Sybassion
goest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Periphery.

Have introduced some strong progressive elements into their sound and will probably continue in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goest
Is god awful.

show

Edit:
You know, it'd be great if people would stop trying to act like injecting their opinion on whether a genre is good or not is actually a valid conversation point. Just saying that it doesn't add a damn thing when people go, "X genre is terrible".

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 07-15-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #30
soundgarden1986
sanic y

thrash metal is like, the worst kind of metal.

Granted, I only really listen to Opeth and Protest the Hero (if they count) so whatever
soundgarden1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #31
entity0009
UG's Null.

No way does anything the Overrated 4 released kick the ass of new metal releases. The big 4 got big because they were early bands in a genre which was still establishing itself. They had no competitors and they built their names before the genre got big. The reality is, their music by modern standards is bland and uninspired. I bet if Metallica had started up in this day and age they wouldn't even be signed, let alone big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Dude, Isis died 3 years ago. You're a bastard for reopening that wound

Some big metal news site announced an Isis reunion a while ago.

But the article was written on April 1st. Imagine my pain ;_;
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #32
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

Quote:
Is god awful.

People said and still say the same thing about Metallica and Megadeth. Music is entirely subjective. The Big 4 popularized the thrash movement which was new at the time, and now Periphery, among some other bands which it may or may have not influenced, is popularizing the Djent movement, which is newer and bigger than almost anything else (that tries to be different) in metal right now.

You don't have to like them at all but in my opinion they're different enough, popular enough, and influential enough to at least be the starting point of a new era in metal.
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:

Last edited by Stringz of Fury : 07-15-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
angusfan16
IT'S GOOFY TIME

Quote:
Is god awful.

Dont go breakin my heart.

They're amazing live. I just saw them last night. Misha gave me a hug and I caught one of mats drum sticks. Its not signed or nothing which sucks, but whateva. So happy.

/fanboyism
Originally Posted by indierockker102
angusfan suck on your dads dick you ****ing shit head

Gamertag: codzys
Getting face fucked in: Dark Souls 2
#savetheottercock
angusfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #34
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
People said and still say the same thing about Metallica and Megadeth. Music is entirely subjective. The Big 4 popularized the thrash movement which was new at the time, and now Periphery, among some other bands which it may or may have not influenced, is popularizing the Djent movement, which is newer and bigger than almost anything else (that tries to be different) in metal right now.

You don't have to like them at all but in my opinion they're different enough, popular enough, and influential enough to at least be the starting point of a new era in metal.

But Djent isn't new or big anymore. I get your point, but you need to get your facts straight. It says something about Djent that many of the main bands of the movement are moving away from it. The only Djent bands that really exist are on bandcamp or are small touring bands these days. Even Periphery isn't pure Djent anymore. (Btw, if anyone says "Djent is Progressive Metal", I'm gonna slap a ho! You don't want to be responsible for the pain of some poor ho, do ya? Huh, do ya?!)

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 07-15-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
goest
SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Dont go breakin my heart.

They're amazing live. I just saw them last night. Misha gave me a hug and I caught one of mats drum sticks. Its not signed or nothing which sucks, but whateva. So happy.

/fanboyism

My friends are opening for them tonight and I want to go see them and one of the other local bands, but I can't justify spending 15 bucks for it.

Fun fact: The other local band is called David Hassellhoff on Acid and is absolutely amazing.

Y'all should check out my band Sybassion
goest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009
Some big metal news site announced an Isis reunion a while ago.

But the article was written on April 1st. Imagine my pain ;_;

I read the first sentence before going on google to find out.

When I didn't find anything, I read your second sentence
Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #37
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
But Djent isn't new or big anymore. I get your point, but you need to get your facts straight. It says something about Djent that many of the main bands of the movement are moving away from it. The only Djent bands that really exist are on bandcamp or are small touring bands these days. Even Periphery isn't pure Djent anymore. (Btw, if anyone says "Djent is Progressive Metal", I'm gonna slap a ho! You don't want to be responsible for the pain of some poor ho, do ya? Huh, do ya?!)

Periphery never was pure Djent. If they were they would be pretty boring, imo. I just think those Djenty parts stand out the most (for me at least). Periphery and other Djent bands still are Djenty, they just use those syncopated single string riffs sparingly because like i said, if that was all they did it would be super boring.

However I think Djent bands are still identifiable as unique and different from the rest of the scene metal scene and while they may not be as big as Metallica was in their day, I think they are still important and innovative enough to deserve some sort of special place in metal history just as the Big 4 did with their first few albums.
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
anvil is god
tiny silver hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
That depends what you mean by "modern". Also, better is largely up to opinion.

By modern, I mean metal made in the last 10 years or so. I consider it better because of the variety and the fact that the internet lets us access it and spread it. It is all subjective though, some may just prefer older styles.

last.fm
anvil is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #39
postmortem2006
Deadpan Snarker

There'll never be anything on the same level as the likes of Priest, Motorhead, Metallica etc. ever again because when those bands came around, they were doing something new (or relatively new). Nowadays there's no such thing as originality and most bands struggle to find a stable identity, instead finding themselves lost in a sea of countless other bands who sound near enough identical. The fact that (in the UK at least) people seem to ignore unsigned talent certainly isn't helping.
postmortem2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #40
Lord_Doku
ancient bass

Metal has a future. It is already part of a greater social movement towards the hip and trendy. Only the past shall remain unbesmirched by the hip and trendy. Established artists from our past will continue to make solid records, to the best of their abilities and their creativity. As time goes on however, the genre gets redefined. Older artists call it quits, younger artists do whatever they want in accordance to what they believe sounds completely new and original. Original as in, they created it, and the world shall bear witness.

In the end, it will still be there in the same way Surf music is today. A couple of bands, a steady fanbase, both coming together for a world of fun in a relatively underground setting, since you don't need massive arena's and record labels to accomplish it. And who knows, it might resurge in its original state, but until then, the Metal that we've grown up with shall remain just that: a passion we've grown up with.

Mainstream tries to kill the Metal. Let's hope it will be smitten to the ground.
Lord_Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: